Sign in to follow this  
Fraeya

larger mine entrances

With the addition of cave dwellings I'd love to have larger cave entrances and even be able to put doors on greater than 90 slopes. 2 or 3 tile wide cave entrances would be great!

• Like 10

It's probably too difficult for technical reasons. +1, of course.

I'm going to go with, To difficult with it being part of the base code.  Would be much more interesting though

yeah, my odd visual glitch I posted in the news thread was to inspire the desire :)  Huge picture windows from our mines.  Maybe a special support beam for cave entrances, allowing them to be as wide as we want?

+1

• Like 1

Bridges are 1-2-3 wide

Highways are 2 wide 

Tunnels are as wide as we want

Why not tunnel entrances? At least 2 wide please, would make sense to be 3 wide though...

• Like 1

Hell i'd like to be able to dredge rock in mountain canals for easier passage throu them in boats

The 3 way entrance mine without cheating with minedoors pls.

QyQFcMm.png

M58zjyH.png

• Like 3

I've been curious what technical reasons may exist; though, haven't seen this section of the codebase.

I really should just suck it up and buy WU :ph34r:

Personally wider entrances would be awesome and worth w/e extra work is involved. Granted there are limits.

EDIT: Also bring back entrances inside writs!

Edited by Klaa

+1 for wider mine entrances, when i ride as 'commander' and try to enter cave i get stuck, so yep wider entrances to mines 

I agree, the ability to create wider mine entrances would be a nice feature.

I would also like to see an option enabled when tunneling the entrance to go straight in flat rather than always having the 20 slope down at the entrance. Maybe like "Tunnel Straight" instead of the current only "Tunnel" option. With this feature you wouldn't go down into the water level if you are very close to it already.

=Ayes=

• Like 3

Wider entrances would finally allow tunnels to officially be a part of highway systems. This alone makes them worthwhile.

+1. Maybe tunneling next to an already present tunnel would do. 

I do like Ayes flat-in tunneling also. 

Is there really a purpose to sloping down tunnel entrances in the first place? It's not like it would be hard to just mine down the inner corners of the entry tile, if you wanted to. Might as well make them flat, or at least as flat as mine_forward gets.

39 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Is there really a purpose to sloping down tunnel entrances in the first place? It's not like it would be hard to just mine down the inner corners of the entry tile, if you wanted to. Might as well make them flat, or at least as flat as mine_forward gets.

I guess the purpose is to make them passable on shallow slopes but I would love to not have to use 40 concrete to make a flat entrance

Tunnel_up

Tunnel_forward

Tunnel_down

Please when making the entrance.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Xsamuraizx said:

Tunnel_up

Tunnel_forward

Tunnel_down

Please when making the entrance.

Unless there's a specific, weird, technical reason why not, this is probably the best solution, at least to that part of the problem.

As far as wider tunnel entrances are concerned, I'm not sure what issues exist. Would be nice to hear about them if they do. The one problem I can see is that it could create extremely

high slopes since tunneling automatically lowers the second-lowest corner. If you can imagine tunneling in a straight line along the edge of a cliff that drops down, you could wind up with slopes of a couple thousand after tunneling several times, since each time the whole entrance would have to drop to be level. I guess there would need to be a solution to that. Of course, that auto-dropping is already possibly considered problematic, since tunnel+strongwall can make it insanely easy to surface mine in some cases.

4 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Unless there's a specific, weird, technical reason why not, this is probably the best solution, at least to that part of the problem.

As far as wider tunnel entrances are concerned, I'm not sure what issues exist. Would be nice to hear about them if they do. The one problem I can see is that it could create extremely

high slopes since tunneling automatically lowers the second-lowest corner. If you can imagine tunneling in a straight line along the edge of a cliff that drops down, you could wind up with slopes of a couple thousand after tunneling several times, since each time the whole entrance would have to drop to be level. I guess there would need to be a solution to that. Of course, that auto-dropping is already possibly considered problematic, since tunnel+strongwall can make it insanely easy to surface mine in some cases.

Solution to this would be a required flat border in line with the opening or the tunnel cannot be widened. (Cringes at the thought of more surface mining LOL)

I alwasy thought that tunnle sloped down upon entrance was so they were at roughly 90o to the slope of said mountain dug into.. i think rock is always ata 20o slope so it sis 90o from that..just my thoughts..

On 5/9/2016 at 6:53 PM, Audrel said:

Solution to this would be a required flat border in line with the opening or the tunnel cannot be widened. (Cringes at the thought of more surface mining LOL)

A bit of a kludge, but it works.

+1

Though it smells of a large enough code rework that it may have to go in with the elusive 3D mines (imagine 4-tile mine entrances... dig 2 tunnels side by side, then dig 2 below them for a massive cavern).

Only thing I can see being an issue with this is the ability to chain mine entrances together and create an impassible barrier by making a long wide entrance at the base of a dirt wall so there would have to be some limit to the number of connected entrances..

other than that, wider or taller openings would be great.

(as for the down slope, its possible to fix, mine in, then mine up, mine flat, collapse the entrance with strongwall or an orb, and mine OUT from inside., tho the option to just tunnel in level would be very nice)

While I too would like to see larger entrances to mines, Mordraug is probably correct.  Since a mine entrance is really a portal between the surface map and the mines map, there are likely technical problems to having 2 adjacent tiles both be teleports between the maps.  Let's all hope the coming changes to graphics will cure those problems.

On May 6, 2016 at 7:06 PM, Fraeya said:

and even be able to put doors on greater than 90 slopes. 

Kek

already possible