Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #17: Gearing Up

header.png

Hi Everyone,

Another week down as we move towards summer (for all you northern hemispherians anyways) , and some awesome updates on their way! We're gearing up towards an awesome update with a lot of new content, as well as the anniversary of course! I can't give away too much yet, (maybe next week) but these updates will enter public testing soon!

Patch Notes

Spoiler

Bugfix - Changing the contents of the mailbox while sending will now abort the sending process.
Bugfix - Corrected double period text with 'Get Info' Skill.
Bugfix - You are no longer able to cast 'Dirt' on Bulk Storage Bins in your inventory.

Wurm Unlimited Update
I know that Wurm Unlimited has been rather quiet on the update front but don't worry! We have an upcoming update planned for wednesday 1pm CET (UTC+1). So if you are a server admin, plan accordingly! Our new code manager, Keenan has setup a little Q&A thread on Steam too, so if you have questions regarding the update cycle for Wurm Unlimited, ask away!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/366220/discussions/0/357284767237270148/

Weekend testing

This weekend the test server will cover a few of the long awaited PvP updates, most of the testing will be around simply ensuring that the functionality works, so if you have any questions or require any assistance, jump on IRC and poke myself or a GM!

• Archery penalty removed from helms, changed archery from a flat fail % to added difficulty depending on armour penalty
  • Archery keybinds -SHOOT, QUICK_SHOT, SHOOT_FACE, SHOOT_TORSO, SHOOT_LEFTARM, SHOOT_RIGHTARM, SHOOT_LEGS,
  • Combat tab now shows offensive, karma and healing spells (+ creature targeted dispel) Meditation messages are yet to come.
  • Throw has been removed from valrei mobs, uniques will still throw.
  • Shield of the Gone has been reduced to a 30% Damage reduction

Not to leave out other testing though

• Cave dwellings will also now allow building against walls!

This will be for on deed caves only, and mining will be possible through arched walls and doors. We'll have the original testing area setup for some planning and I'll be available to help out as well.

Other PvP changes and updates are in the works, and will come after this lot.

So jump on the test server this weekend and let us know how it goes!

The Great Deliverance Derby
The Great Deliverance Derby is on this weekend. We've run the course, checked the horses, all that's left is to jump on and go! We'll be providing a whole lot of horses for this event, with equal gear for all. This means it's an even race, as long as you have 21 body control, you're in with a chance to take out top prize!

#Wurmpedia
For a while now we've had an IRC room used by the small wurmpedia team to coordinate updates, projects and collaborate. Now, we're opening it up to all Wurmians! The room can be found by typing /join #wurmpedia on IRC, and will allow you to share information, discuss changes, and also help contribute to the Wurmpedia and ensure that it is as accurate as possible.

Starter deeds
After two weeks the votes have settled, with Esteron and Deliverance being very clear in wanting the new designs! The independence redesign had a few more options, but the winning entry is design 1. I'll be in touch with the submitters to organise where we go from here.

I've had a few entries come in, for strongbox on Serenity and Linton on Xanadu, I'll be posting those over this weekend with the same two week voting period, so make sure to keep an eye out!

Community content
This week has a screenshot from the EPIC Art thread, Smejacks marching army of gnomes. Is this the largest collection of gnomes in Wurm? I wouldn't be surprised!

screenshot.jpg

That's it from us this week. I hope to see you all on the test server!

Retrograde and the Wurm team.

• Like 13

*Drools* cave dwellings keep sounding sweeter and sweeter, should go well with the 16x16km map i been toying with.  Screenshots eventually.. the vyooooooooz!! 

• Like 1

Free meditation swap in the works too? I think it was said that one would be given out for any meditation changes

Just now, Worksock said:

Free meditation swap in the works too? I think it was said that one would be given out for any meditation changes

Doesn't need testing, and would only be for path of insanity

What the time line for the changes to be implemented since this is only a weekend thing, for the pvp changes. If this testing on weekend is successful then what it gets put on live next week or we going to have to wait longer for some other reason ? Can we also get at thread going for feedback on this pvp weekend test .

Edited by Egard

Nice looks like we will get walls next to buildings on deed (on a side note it might be handy to allow mining of support beams IF it is next to a house wall for off deed removed deeds...etc.

Now we need bridges in there too, lol

Edited by Kegan

1 minute ago, Egard said:

What the time line for the changes to be implemented since this is only a weekend thing, for the pvp changes. If this testing on weekend is successful then what it gets put on live next week or we going to have to wait longer for some other reason ? Can we also get at thread going for feedback on this pvp weekend test .

Ensuring everything goes smoothly in the test, and works how we want it to, it'll mostly go live in the next update with prior warning. Archery keybinds might take a little longer due to requiring a client update.

A feedback thread will be available over the weekend

Good to hear look forward to the thread will be on to some testing but most of it is very straight forward shouldn't require much testing.

A big THANK YOU for the buildings next to walls in mines. That opens up a lot of griefing possibilites opportunities!

Honestly I don't see any issues of it on deed - a good decision, thanks!!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Doesn't need testing, and would only be for path of insanity

I can understand that now, but what about the swap when the supposed overhaul comes in the future?  Would all paths get the free swap at that point?  How long are the swaps good for?

I guess it can wait for the feedback thread but "Archery penalty removed from helms, changed archery from a flat fail % to added difficulty depending on armour penalty" just seems like it's only a buff for oakshell, since you need a helm to protect the face and otherwise you're naked.  Massive majority from what I recall preferred archery penalty removed entirely so I don't understand

Throw change is probably the best one

• Like 4

Just now, Jaz said:

A big THANK YOU for the buildings next to walls in mines. That opens up a lot of griefing possibilites opportunities!

Honestly I don't see any issues of it on deed - a good decision, thanks!!!

Underground buildings also decay very fast off deed, our previous round of testing had on average 80ql houses, with now 90+ damage on them

• Like 3

can make Mag squads revival running around servers chanting the Big Spell :D ... if it works on underground structures at all.

I look forward to a full overhaul to the combat system which from the ground up considers all these silly bonuses in other skill trees, maybe finally passive damage reduction can finally be removed or provide me something that doesn't last 15 minutes per 24 hours to counter it lol

• Like 1

On Desolation we are currently trialing SOTG at 25% reduction (we will update it to 30 next server restart to match Wurm). One concern that has been raised is the SOTG reduction for champs. I haven't seen that mentioned in any of these updates specifically so just wanted to make sure someone is aware there has been a concern flagged that when reducing SOTG for normal players, champions also should have a SOTG reduction as well. Not reducing champs seems to lead to less open field PVP/roaming. 

Our testing is still early though as well. Hope it helps.

~Nappy

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Nappy said:

On Desolation we are currently trialing SOTG at 25% reduction (we will update it to 30 next server restart to match Wurm). One concern that has been raised is the SOTG reduction for champs. I haven't seen that mentioned in any of these updates specifically so just wanted to make sure someone is aware there has been a concern flagged that when reducing SOTG for normal players, champions also should have a SOTG reduction as well. Not reducing champs seems to lead to less open field PVP/roaming. 

Our testing is still early though as well. Hope it helps.

~Nappy

Also it should be noted that with sotg being decreased, the effectiveness of valrei buffs is then comparatively much greater, and buff stacking will be the next big issue instead of sotg.

Players on epic already have stacked many valrei items for extra damage reduction, with smoke of sol being the most popular for giving a physical damage reduction buff

Also continuum giving temporary 20%dr is like an extra mini sotg. By stacking valrei buffs and nerfed sotg like many players already do, they will still be at the same level as a pre-nerf sotg player without valrei buffs.

Damage reduction stacking is one of the main problems here, not just the large amount of DR given by sotg.

I've updated my Damage Reduction calculator to change sotg to 30% for testing numbers with the upcoming changes:

http://codehost.tumblr.com/

Edited by Alexgopen
  • Like 3

Nerf SoTG and now want to nerf champs too?

It will never end, the want for nerfs.

BTW, SoTG does not stack with the champion buff, being a champion is a big commitment, it is 6 months long and can not become a champ for 6 months after loosing it. The time span for being a champion is also tied in with 3 lives and you are out. When you loose your champion status 1 pt on your stats, which is not too bad at the end of a 6 month span, but if your champion status only lasts a few weeks, that is a tough one to take.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JakeRivers said:

BTW, SoTG does not stack with the champion buff.

It does and it's 10% if you're champ

public final float getDamageModifier() {
        float damMod = (float)(120.0 - this.getStrengthSkill()) / 100.0f;
        if (this.getCultist() != null && this.getCultist().hasHalfDamage()) {
            if (this.isChampion()) {
                damMod *= 0.9f;
            }
            else {
                damMod *= 0.5f;
            }
        }
        return damMod;
    }

Edited by Alexgopen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Archery keybinds -SHOOT, QUICK_SHOT, SHOOT_FACE, SHOOT_TORSO, SHOOT_LEFTARM, SHOOT_RIGHTARM, SHOOT_LEGS

\o/

or should I say (}-> 

37 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

BTW, SoTG does not stack with the champion buff, being a champion is a big commitment, it is 6 months long and can not become a champ for 6 months after loosing it. The time span for being a champion is also tied in with 3 lives and you are out. When you loose your champion status 1 pt on your stats, which is not too bad at the end of a 6 month span, but if your champion status only lasts a few weeks, that is a tough one to take.

It does stack btw. We tested that back on Desolation v2.

Since you ask, my preference isn't to nerf, I would rather see the other paths buffed to make meditation choices possible and important in PVP.

My comment came up because people expressed a distinct reluctance to go up against champions after the SOTG reduction to 25% for normal players. This meant that open field PVP became less common.

Unlike WO where this is all a theoretical discussion, on Desolation we are trying things that are different. If they work they stay, if they don't they go.

Surprisingly many players are discovering that 100x skill gain, 10x action timers and the implementation of bdew's timer fix along with gameplay changes like supply depots that move randomly, common availability of adamantine, glimmer and scale are all leading to a rewarding and different game experience then typical WO. Fights last longer and require more to win.

This isn't to say WO is bad, it's not. The point is that there are many possible ways to play Wurm. It's unfortunate that WO only provides Freedom PVE, Chaos PVP and Epic curve PVP all of which feature a very slow grind. With 10(?) WO servers it would be incredible to see the official servers support more game variation then they currently do.

Of course the only way to really see what change does is to actually try the changes. My earlier comments about our Desolation experience thus far was nothing more then trying to share what we've already seen with a group that is considering a similar change.

50 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Of course it will end. The time will come when there's nothing left to nerf.

Wow, great work on the cave dwellings, team! This feature is sounding better and better.

Weekend testing

This weekend the test server will cover a few of the long awaited PvP updates, most of the testing will be around simply ensuring that the functionality works, so if you have any questions or require any assistance, jump on IRC and poke myself or a GM!

• Archery penalty removed from helms, changed archery from a flat fail % to added difficulty depending on armour penalty
  • Archery keybinds -SHOOT, QUICK_SHOT, SHOOT_FACE, SHOOT_TORSO, SHOOT_LEFTARM, SHOOT_RIGHTARM, SHOOT_LEGS,
  • Combat tab now shows offensive, karma and healing spells (+ creature targeted dispel) Meditation messages are yet to come.
  • Throw has been removed from valrei mobs, uniques will still throw.

HYPE. A first step!

Other PvP changes and updates are in the works, and will come after this lot

g0000d

Edited by Mclovin