Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Web server switch Monday 10 AM CET

Hi,

we're going to try to switch the web server to a new machine on Monday at 10 AM CET. If things don't work properly we'll switch back but it would probably mean some issues with starting the client for an hour or so while the DNS is updating.

Fingers crossed!

Rolf

EDIT:

Okay we did a bit of a ninja test today with Wurmpedia which admittedly didn't work out too well. We're going to do another bit more scheduled one tomorrow Saturday at 7pm CET. Please take note!

• Like 9

If you provide the new IP address people can just edit their hosts file to point wurmonline.com to the new IP and not have even 1 second of downtime even while DNS is still propogating, just food for thought. 

• Like 5

The CDN is involved so it wouldn't be a complete test really.

Didnt understand 1 word in this post. Guess i am not a IT guy :huh:

Edit: Actually i understood that there might be some down time. My bad

Edited by Gaul
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Becket said:

hehe think I may burn any SB I have Sunday :rolleyes:

It's nothing to do with the game servers, but burning SB is always good!

• Like 1

Retro, I think I understand your hint :P

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

I sense possible extended downtime due to hosts not knowing where wurm vanished too.

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Ahhh ... now I understand grumpiness!  No web, no sleep, no bonus!  Got it!  What was wrong with the old web server? o.O

So what your telling us is... "hang on folks, might be a bumpy road ahead for a few". Roger that.

Edited by geode
  • Like 1

is wurmpedia going to be back anytime soon? i depend on that for info.  

4 hours ago, Gaul said:

Didnt understand 1 word in this post. Guess i am not a IT guy :huh:

Edit: Actually i understood that there might be some down time. My bad

Translation: We did stuff. Stuff didn't work. We undid stuff. We are going to do other stuff. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Rolf said:

Hi,

we're going to try to switch the web server to a new machine on Monday at 10 AM CET. If things don't work properly we'll switch back but it would probably mean some issues with starting the client for an hour or so while the DNS is updating.

Fingers crossed!

Rolf

EDIT:

Okay we did a bit of a ninja test today with Wurmpedia which admittedly didn't work out too well. We're going to do another bit more scheduled one tomorrow Saturday at 7pm CET. Please take note!

If you need help contact me... There was a time when I was doing such moves almost daily and my players are annoyed and keep complaining because the wurmpedia is down.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Magykal said:

What was wrong with the old web server? o.O

The hamster joined the new Hamster Union, got reminded of his rights, demanded a 7 week vacation and then went on strike. The usual.

Needless to say the new hamster doesn't speak Swedish. Or German.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

If you need help contact me... There was a time when I was doing such moves almost daily and my players are annoyed and keep complaining because the wurmpedia is down.

i have been answering questions all day today that require the wiki but I have had success accessing the cached version of the wiki which is difficult though because I have to guess on the exact URL. Which contrary to common beliefs I don't have every wiki article bookmarked :P

@Rolf     -    Thanks Rolf for letting us now.. i appreciate you taking the time from your work to do so... 

PS did you really like our little deed during the teleporting fiasco at the deed  Bombays Farm and yes NOW i always click the ground to dismount so i know where i'll land because of sailing but when you asked i did it form the cart or horse seemed more accesible and you always landed beneath.... again it was an honour.. you having visited even if it was just for some bug issues.. I can tell you really luv Wurm and thanks...

• Like 1

Any chance the Ip address will work if you dont mind giving it to us?

Hey all Try http://www.wurmonline.ru/wiki  Im seeing a usable wiki some of the page is in Russian, but item recipes all show in english :)  And you can also use the translate feature of your browser.

SuperFly

Edited by SuperFly

Good evening. While the Wurmpedia is down the team has thought it a good idea to make a temporary thread explaining the alternative to the wiki. It is the Cached version of it. 

The following thread is a walk-through complete with pictures explaining how to do it. 

17 minutes ago, SuperFly said:

Hey all Try http://www.wurmonline.ru/wiki  Im seeing a usable wiki some of the page is in Russian, but item recipes all show in english :)  And you can also use the translate feature of your browser.

SuperFly

Was the above not a viable alternative?

SuperFly

no it was but not every browser has a translate function. And not every browser translates it perfectly

There are at least two options for cached content, you could try:

Edited by Wulfmaer

51 minutes ago, Wulfmaer said:

There are at least two options for cached content, you could try:

Or you can use  http://www.wurmonline.ru/wiki

Looks Russian but search for an item using the search box and you will see the pages are in english.

Edited by SuperFly
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2016 at 3:11 AM, SuperFly said:

Was the above not a viable alternative?

SuperFly

I consider a fan site that violates our fan site policies by using Wurm art assets to not be a viable solution.

• Like 2