Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

Make Sailing more enjoyable, remove Light Breeze

Light Breeze is horrible, and I find myself waiting for the wind to change, but quite often you may be stuck with this slow wind all day long (perhaps it changed several times with RNG deciding on the same speed?).

With plot coarse sailing has never been more enjoyable when you want to shorten the route needed to get somewhere, but the light breeze is a real kick in the balls if you want to get somewhere in a reasonable amount of time on a server like xanadu. 

Light Breeze + Xanadu = Sargasso Sea

• Like 7

We need to remember what it was like without  "plot". :)   It might be better if the ship functioned well as a horseshoe? better quality = speed . and some new spell for ships ? :  "Wind in the sails"  :D

Edited by Majqo
  • Like 1

I have had three new players join.... and then quit due to the winds....

+1

• Like 1

We don't need to remove it. But the minimal sailing speed does need to be raised.

• Like 2

Pull in the sail, place extra (at least 2) oars in boat, right click boat > row (speed based on body strength? Drains stamina, oars take damage over time). Would add to the immersion and a new market for good sturdy oak oars(?).

• Like 5

If they don't want to remove light breeze, Then they should make it so the same weather pattern can't happen twice in a row.

+1

2 hours ago, Drathania said:

Pull in the sail, place extra (at least 2) oars in boat, right click boat > row (speed based on body strength? Drains stamina, oars take damage over time). Would add to the immersion and a new market for good sturdy oak oars(?).

I like that. Also: -1 for removing soft winds. Have you ever tried to properly maneuver a knarr into a narrow harbor in strong winds?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yaga said:

I like that. Also: -1 for removing soft winds. Have you ever tried to properly maneuver a knarr into a narrow harbor in strong winds?

Of course, I sail the knarr quite a bit, you always have the option of hopping out and dragging it, but you can still sail it regardless.

Do you anchor out side your harbor when you arrive back home in a gale to wait for a crap breeze?

Just my two doubloons...er cents...

I love to sail, but tend to not go on long journeys in the slower winds, or take the big ship out for a short journey in the stronger winds.  Strong winds are great for a nice fast top speed on a longer trip, but it can be horrifying when pulling up to a dock or trying to navigate a cave canal.  My suggestions are to make boat a little more...I guess realistic is the word, but that is not exactly my thought, so I'll just say workable.  

Suggestion #1  Ship Quality Matters.   It's been suggested many times before, the better the boat the better it sails.  Note I said better, not faster.  Top speed increases yes of course, but perhaps a way for low speed to be more maneuverable.

Suggestion #2  Sails, lets raise and lower them.  A raised sail will gather the wind in the best way possible for the highest speed possible, a lowered sail allows for docking and other maneuvers where a big fast boat is dangerous.

This type of system could help make sailing and ship building more desirable.  I imagine a 70 ql Caravel easily out running a 30 ql Caravel in a nice wind, and being more maneuverable with it's sails down than its lower quality counterpart.

• Like 5

Raise the minimum speeds and allow the option to lower sails for when you are pulling into the harbour.

• Like 4

+1

this has been suggested so many times can we stop neglecting quality of life improvements devs please?

Or just have rarity give a bigger boost. At least for the larger ships, I mean really, rarity doesn't do anything for them that an alt can't do.

-1 from me, Wurm's getting too convenient lately.

However, I would like weather patterns instead of the current RNG mechanic. That way players can predict prevailing winds and plan their trips accordingly.

Plot Course has already cut travel times so much, they may as well add a right click -> teleport option to boats. At some point, too much convenience can be a bad thing.

Get out the oars and row you lazy cur ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klaa said:

Get out the oars and row you lazy cur ;)

LOL  Actually I have a rare rowboat and I tend to use it the most when not having to bring a lot of cargo because at least with it I know how fast I'll go.  :D

I would like to see ship speed possibly affected by it's overall quality but even better would be an option tolower sails.

• Like 2

I'm not big on making things super easy mode; however, I'd be all for ship quality equating to speed and maneuverability.  Raising and lowering sails could be interesting...

I'm a Big supporter of Ship Quality affecting speed on a basis or some ratio of +SPEED per 10 QL of boat affecting MINIMUM SPEED, note this doesn't NOT affect MAX speed, just the minimum speed.

For instance.  90ql Boat can go (for example +2 kph per 10 ql = 18kph ) so 18 kph with ZERO wind.  90 QL Boat can go 23 kph WITH the wind.  Add in the bonus of rarity alt armies rowing, whatever and you have your increased speed with or without wind.

As far as some skill where you have to sail for 2 hours to get to the inner part of some server, no offense sailing sucks enough as it is that just bout everyone i know afk sails you really expect them to Sit there for the sail by adding some crap like that? Not to mention would this go against fatigue limit? I mean seriously spend 6 hours sailing then goto mine and OOPS outta fatigue, so sorry but that's what you get for sailing, making sailing even More worthless.

Edited by Stormblade
  • Like 1