Sign in to follow this  
tmarchuk

[RELEASED] ClientRenderTweaks Mod (Client) - v0.1

This is the initial release of a client mod to allow client-side changing of weather (without being a GM) and toggling of grass or tree/bush rendering. It requires Ago's client and server modloaders.

Latest Release on github

Readme on github

Changelog on github

Background

I created it for my own benefit as I am new to Wurm, playing on a solo server, and I wanted to be able to avoid a bit of frustration trying to plan out some terrain modifications and find objects dropped on the ground like arrows, etc. I'm releasing it in case anyone else wants similar functionality. I don't have a ton of time but if you have change requests let me know.

Special thanks to:

• ago for making the modloader, posting all his code, and posting useful information about wurm unlimited modding. It was very helpful.
  • bdew for making several mods I use and also posting the code.
  • joedobo for posting useful information about modding wurm unlimited.

Instructions (Copied from Readme link above)

• Download ClientRenderTweaks.zip
  • Extract ClientRenderTweaks.zip into wurm unlimited client folder (for example, C:/Program Files/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Wurm Unlimited/WurmLauncher). The ClientRenderTweaks.jar file should end up in mods/ClientRenderTweaks/ClientRenderTweaks.jar.
  • Startup
    • Start the Wurm Client from Steam and enjoy!

Youtube video showing usage: https://youtu.be/R319zCWkSVM

Have fun!

-Tyson

Edited by tmarchuk
Added youtube video showing usage.
  • Like 4

tested and approved :) thats really a nice mod, now i will never get lost again in the dark :) 

Good work on the mod.

Any way to prevent users from running this? The mods are moving towards giving users an exactly parallel experience to everyone around them.

Without being able to push arbitrary code to execute on the client or having some kind of third party binary installed that verifies client you can't prevent this mod, no (as with most client-side mods).

I have been playing around with riding/walking "through" trees making you bonk your head and take damage when you do it, but it didn't turn out great after a quick experimentation at least. That would only slightly reduce the usefulness of no-trees too. You'd still be able to toggle them and then toggle them back on when you are chasing someone/something.

If someone wanted to seriously make this unusable or less desirable from a player perspective they should consider doing something like this (when used in tandem with the client collision removing mod)

1) Have the server track a timeline of player moves across an arbitrary number of tiles and tile type changes. For instance 200 tile distance, must travel across tree tiles and when doing the math equivalent to drawing a travel line, if the path is a straight one with no zigs or zags then there is a very good chance that someone is using this mod combination. Obviously this could be significantly fine tuned to make it much tighter than this example.

2) If they meet the requirements above and you have completed enough "false positive" testing to make sure that you are consistently being notified when these criteria are being met then consider the "fun" phase, perhaps a mandatory dismount or even better, invoke the random teleport code from Path of Insanity to

make using the mod combination dangerous

If trying to counter the invisible trees only, consider adding something else equivalent to thorns that has a negative consequence to someone just running through the equivalent contact zone. Maybe running through 10 tree tiles in a row results in a small wound on your horse, perhaps you dehorse them, or unequip their shield or slow down their horse or ......

The net result of all of this of course is that we still treat the client as unsafe/risky/not something we control and instead rely on what the server knows in order to control what the server provides to the client.

For any client mod out there we know a few key things:

1) The client is out of our control. Due to the EULA and also creative players, we can never really trust that the client is what we think it is

2) The server is completely under our control

3) The data provided by the server is completely under our control

4) If we can somehow determine that someone is using something we don't like then we can provide them with a consequence (provided we do enough testing to make it work as expected)

While it's unfortunate that we can't directly control the client, by no means does it eliminate our creative abilities to make mods have consequences. Give them a strong reason where using a mod gives them a disadvantage. Right now most of these mods are all about advantages with little to no downside.

Hi Tyson

Since the latest patch the tweak had been broken . i really hope you can update it soon. i love your no tree mod. thank

kitty