Sign in to follow this  
Drathania

[Bug] Aggressive Creature % malfunction?

Creature spawning mechanics are not working as intended, aggressive ratio settings aren't working.

I'm having an issue with my server (latest stable version), I have the creature count set to 40,000 on a 4096 map with "Aggressive Creatures" set to 90%, so 10% would be non-aggressive?

Yet after 5 mins from an empty creature count, there are already over the limit (10% of 40,000 = 4000) for non-aggressive creatures. Am I missing something here?

*SQLitebrowser shows the same 90% ratio set in the wurmlogin.db

Tests:
Regardless of cap, a 40,000 (90% Agg) creature count seems to always return;

Black Wolf: 3201

Horse: 2801

Pheasant: 1601

Crab: 1201

Dog: 1201

Pig: 1201

Ram: 1201

Sheep: 1201

Bison: 1300+

Dolphin: 150

Octopus: 150

etc

Reduce this to 10,000 (90% Agg) and we see a similar effect in play;

Black Wolf: 802

Horse: 701

Lion: 601

Brown Bear: 401

Deer: 401

Pheasant: 401

Bison: 385+

Deer: 301

Dog: 301

Sheep: 301

Crab: 101

Dolphin: 100

Octopus: 100

etc

The creature Aggressive % is suppose to be 'approximate', this isn't even approximately close (closer to 40%) and we always see vastly greater amounts of non-aggressive's than aggressive's.

Note:

When WU came out, we had all creatures, hell horses, hell hounds, spiders in the forest etc, it was magical and fun. At some point, we started noticing less and less of them until eventually creatures like spiders, bears, scorps, lava spiders would only seem to appear near their respective dens, leaving a forest full of sheep, rams, horses, cows, bulls, pigs, wolves, lions and the rarely seen kitty, with our mines being run by cave bugs and rats only.

Has someone done borked?

Edited by Drathania
  • Like 2

Anyone at CodeClub checked this?

Our deserts/tundra's are completely barren.

Our forests are just awash with horses, rams, sheep, etc.

No wild spiders, bears, trolls, no hell mobs at all, long as you can kill a wolf, you can practically go anywhere as long as you don't run into a lair or a sandy shoreline (at least crabs and turtles spawn...).

% aggressive isn't' working (even set it to 180% with no changes).

Were not the only server starting to notice this (I first noticed it early Feb).

Thoroughly tested this, reinstalled the server a number of times, tried alternate machines, with and without mods, even hard capped the domestics/non-aggressive s right down to a few hundred each, tested it with current beta... all producing the same problem.

Edited by Drathania

Seeing same thing on multiple WU servers as well.

I'm so happy i saw this post! I thought i was going mad!

I run a little Lan server for me and my lad. We like abit of a challenge and neither of us are interested in animals apart from the slaughtering ;) so we have the agro cranked right up to 80%.

We can walk around the map and all you see is horses and cows etc!

You goto the deserts.. nothing empty.

We tried fresh server on my laptop and still having same issues. I'm glad its just not me.

Please could you post if you find a solution?

Edited by Twoshrubs
lol, speiling

There is a post in the WU questions area that talks about how to create manual spawns (lairs). If you create some of these on your server and scatter them around then you can get the more aggressive creatures that way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nappy said:

There is a post in the WU questions area that talks about how to create manual spawns (lairs). If you create some of these on your server and scatter them around then you can get the more aggressive creatures that way.

We have a 4096 sized map, running around dropping lairs is a bit of a time consuming effort. At the moment, were just dealing with it. There's no lair for hell horses either.. so some mobs at the moment can't be obtained unless again, I run around common areas and GM wand > summon across the map and it also ruins it for me, as I play my server too... the exploration factor gets a little ruined.

• Like 1

You can create hell horse lairs.

I agree, the bug needs to be fixed.

3 hours ago, Nappy said:

Isn't that just going to make things worse in the long run?

Plus it doesn't fix the feature.

my animal population is 50k with a 50% ration hostel on a 4096 map and we have more hostel than we can shake a stick at some areas have like 40 to 80 of one mob in sections not sure why others having issues. Just to get them to spread out more and not cluster had to change there location from local to global so they would venture out after spawning from there lairs. I just redone the entire map with the new map gen 2.8 so my old map could have streams and snow top mountains and new ores and not getting this issue. You might want toset it at 50 and just go in the code and up your count there and lower the count on mobs you want to spawn less.

Edited by Arkonick

On 25/04/2016 at 10:14 PM, Arkonick said:

my animal population is 50k with a 50% ration hostel on a 4096 map and we have more hostel than we can shake a stick at some areas have like 40 to 80 of one mob in sections not sure why others having issues. Just to get them to spread out more and not cluster had to change there location from local to global so they would venture out after spawning from there lairs. I just redone the entire map with the new map gen 2.8 so my old map could have streams and snow top mountains and new ores and not getting this issue. You might want toset it at 50 and just go in the code and up your count there and lower the count on mobs you want to spawn less.

If it was that simple, I'd have already done it, as mentioned in my previous post, doesn't matter if the agg. count is 10% or 90%, there is always between 40~50% (more towards 40%) aggressive's on the map and out of those, no wild spiders, bears, trolls, scorpions, absolutely no hell mobs (horse, hound, scorpions) at all appearing in forests, grass lands, deserts etc, or in the database, even with 'tampered code' capping the non-aggressive's right down, so near all aggressive's are either on shorelines (crabs/turtles) or around their respective spawner's. I have a desert that spans 200 tiles in north and 200 tiles east, at least, the only mobs on there are lava spiders from a single lava spider lair there.

We are seeing lots of wolves, lions and occasional cats in the forest, along with a horde of non-aggressive animals.

I've been using "SELECT TEMPLATENAME, COUNT (*) AS `amount` FROM CREATURES GROUP BY TEMPLATENAME ORDER BY `amount` DESC;" from their creatures.db to get a tally.

After installing a completely fresh copy, using WU's default maps of the Dedicated Server software across 2 machines at home, and 2 separate dedicated machines (used normally for work), they all show the same problem. I've racked my brains out over this, even started learning Java and inspecting the class files, I even found some old backups showing the decline of mobs.

Backups from Oct 23rd(2048 creative):

301 hell hounds (hard cap)

5 hell horses

1 hell scorpious

backups from Jan 25th(2048 creative);

123 hell horses

136 hell hounds

10 hell scorpious

backup from Feb 13th(2048 creative);

0 hell hounds

7 hell horses

3 hell scorpious

As they slowly disappeared from the map and other aggressive creature counts dropped and start sliding down beneath the non-aggressive's. Our new map that was inter-linked to allow old players to move over is completely void of any hell mobs.

I have no idea if Jan's backups are 'usual' values, the damage could have already been started by then, if not, one of the patches or something done between those dates broke things. It could have even started as soon as early December (as mobs can take a while to die naturally)

Edited by Drathania
New backup information.

1 hour ago, Arkonick said:

But that does not fix the issue? 

The issue is if you set a high value agro mob spawn.. it doesn't work.

Still at it again today. Disabled creature dens from spawning (just to see if those were somehow out populating the ratio to prevent wild spawns).

There are now no spiders, trolls, black bears, brown bears, scorpions, hell hounds, hell scorpious, hell horses, etc on my test server, that is a huge chunk of missing 'wild' spawns right there, most all aggressive.

Test results:

"Black wolf"    "994"
"Horse"    "785"
"Mountain lion"    "741"
"Large rat"    "706"

"Huge shark"    "489"
"Deer"    "471"
"Pig"    "444"
"Pheasant"    "426"
"Bull"    "423"
"Dog"    "416"
"Sheep"    "352"
"Bison"    "338"
"Ram"    "324"

"Crab"    "304"
"Brown cow"    "270"
"Hen"    "240"
"Rooster"    "211"

"Wild cat"    "208"
"Dolphin"    "100"
"Octopus"    "100"

"Tortoise"    "30"
"Calf"    "15"
"Blue whale"    "3"

Aggressive: 3472 (34.72%)

Non-Aggressive: 4927 (49.27%)

10k creature cap

90% aggressive count (suppose to be, "approximately").

Kicking the Creative, default Wurm Unlimited provided map's extra logging on via it's wurm.ini (DEVMODE=true) is showing the same error (often spamming) as on some of my other tests;

INFO: Creature ids are now 94268
java.lang.Exception
    at com.wurmonline.server.WurmId.getNextCreatureId(WurmId.java:216)
    at com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Creature.doNew(Creature.java:9361)
    at com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Creature.doNew(Creature.java:9352)
    at com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Creature.doNew(Creature.java:9345)
    at com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Creature.doNew(Creature.java:9339)
    at com.wurmonline.server.zones.Zone.spawnEncounter(Zone.java:1006)
    at com.wurmonline.server.zones.Zone.spawnCreature(Zone.java:896)
    at com.wurmonline.server.zones.Zone.poll(Zone.java:516)
    at com.wurmonline.server.zones.Zones.pollNextZones(Zones.java:1583)
    at com.wurmonline.server.Server.run(Server.java:1812)
    at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.TimerThread.run(Unknown Source)

The missing wild spawns perhaps?

I highly doubt my endless poking into files is going to fix anything, I know little to nothing about Java and struggle to understand a lot of it. This isn't a hard cap issue, or a den issue; this is the aggressive count % not working at all and MISSING mobs that should otherwise spawn naturally in the 'wild' simply just aren't.

CC?

Edited by Drathania
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Twoshrubs said:

Isn't that just going to make things worse in the long run?

Plus it doesn't fix the feature.

The mobs generated this way still count as mob total I believe.

You are correct it's a poor workaround to what appears to be a bad coding issue.

• Like 1

a thing with citidel servers is they have you update the database with the settings before starting the server

its just a thought that the WU client doesnt do this properly when changing some settings

have you tried doing a db wipe and starting the server with 90% agressive?

also double checking settings in the db are indeed being changed according to settings you alter after initial startup

besides that, i have made many custom lairs on my server that are permanent, such as greenish anacondas, greenish lavafiends.. greenish everything....

ill do some investigating and see what kind of ratio i have based on my settings

My server isn't hosted by Citidel servers, it's hosted in our own data centre locally (We run a hosting company), I have direct access to walk up to it and rip it out of it's rack and throw it out of the nearest door.

It's hosted on a dedicated Windows machine with remote desktop access, the other machine used to test is also a Windows dedicated machine and the 2 home computers used for more tests are Windows desktop PC's.

All the settings are being set as standard via the usual launcher interface, I've also checked the databases to make sure the settings are sticking too in the wurmlogin.db.

Friends and strangers using various Window's systems (7/10) are also reporting the same results on the standard installation of the Wurm Dedicated Server software.

I 'could' edit it to add custom lairs, I could drop custom lairs around myself, however the litter of lairs is impractical and just makes for an extra special death when mauled together by a group of 6 spiders as they are often hunching up on the server, let alone one with lair traits such as champion, rather than the odd 1 or 2 you'd see every 10 tiles maybe in the forest that should be spawning. Treasure chests on the other hand, are entirely impractical if even possible to setup with a lair.

Cave bugs and rats are also spawning on-deed in unusually high frequency.

I have (with a completely reset map each time, no creatures at all to start with);

• Tried a raw-unedited newly installed version of Wurm Dedicated Server software; Stable and Beta.
  • Disabled den's, to rule out den's causing it.
  • Tweaked the non-aggressive hard cap right down.
  • Tweaked the aggressive cap right up.
  • Tweaked the non-aggressive down and aggressive up.
  • Removed certain non-aggressives from the spawn table (very empty map).
  • Tweaked the PERCENT_AGG_CREATURES amount, in all kinds of different directions (to no effect).
  • Completely disabled all control for MAXCREATURES (endless spawning~).
  • Tried setting the PERCENT_AGG_CREATURES to 180% (expected anything above 100 to crash, did not, why not, did in previous versions?).
  • Tried 10k mobs vs 60k mobs.
  • Tried changing the kingdom to 0.
  • Tried changing the kingdom to 1, 2, 3, 4 ... 5 (expected 5 to crash, did not).
  • Tried making it Epic.
  • Tried alternate maps of various sizes.
  • Tried adding various zone types.
  • Tried setting up a fog zone to see if they spawn in that, it was terrifying, but again didn't work.

pw9ADSY.png

Edited by Drathania
  • Like 2

On 4/27/2016 at 9:50 PM, Drathania said:

My server isn't hosted by Citidel servers, it's hosted in our own data centre locally (We run a hosting company), I have direct access to walk up to it and rip it out of it's rack and throw it out of the nearest door.

It's hosted on a dedicated Windows machine with remote desktop access, the other machine used to test is also a Windows dedicated machine and the 2 home computers used for more tests are Windows desktop PC's.

All the settings are being set as standard via the usual launcher interface, I've also checked the databases to make sure the settings are sticking too in the wurmlogin.db.

Friends and strangers using various Window's systems (7/10) are also reporting the same results on the standard installation of the Wurm Dedicated Server software.

I 'could' edit it to add custom lairs, I could drop custom lairs around myself, however the litter of lairs is impractical and just makes for an extra special death when mauled together by a group of 6 spiders as they are often hunching up on the server, let alone one with lair traits such as champion, rather than the odd 1 or 2 you'd see every 10 tiles maybe in the forest that should be spawning. Treasure chests on the other hand, are entirely impractical if even possible to setup with a lair.

Cave bugs and rats are also spawning on-deed in unusually high frequency.

I have (with a completely reset map each time, no creatures at all to start with);

• Tried a raw-unedited newly installed version of Wurm Dedicated Server software; Stable and Beta.
  • Disabled den's, to rule out den's causing it.
  • Tweaked the non-aggressive hard cap right down.
  • Tweaked the aggressive cap right up.
  • Tweaked the non-aggressive down and aggressive up.
  • Removed certain non-aggressives from the spawn table (very empty map).
  • Tweaked the PERCENT_AGG_CREATURES amount, in all kinds of different directions (to no effect).
  • Completely disabled all control for MAXCREATURES (endless spawning~).
  • Tried setting the PERCENT_AGG_CREATURES to 180% (expected anything above 100 to crash, did not, why not, did in previous versions?).
  • Tried 10k mobs vs 60k mobs.
  • Tried changing the kingdom to 0.
  • Tried changing the kingdom to 1, 2, 3, 4 ... 5 (expected 5 to crash, did not).
  • Tried making it Epic.
  • Tried alternate maps of various sizes.
  • Tried adding various zone types.
  • Tried setting up a fog zone to see if they spawn in that, it was terrifying, but again didn't work.

pw9ADSY.png

That cartoon made me shat myself!      Oh and nice testing.. Yes the bug is real.   We see this issue on all clusters though I didnt dig as deep as you did. 

CC any fix for this in 1.0.0.5?    I dont see a change in the latest beta branch im testing...

• Like 1

Still tinkering with things, I don't actually hope to fix it, I know little/nothing about programming in general... but at least it's distracting me from playing atm.

Server.jar;com/wurmonline/server/creatures/Creature.class

} catch (Exception var16) {
    ;
}

Doesn't really tell you much when things don't work > fixed.

public static Creature doNew(int templateid, boolean createPossessions, float aPosX, float aPosY, float aRot, int layer, String name, byte gender, byte kingdom, byte ctype, boolean reborn, byte age) throws Exception {
    Object toReturn = templateid == 1?new Npc(CreatureTemplateFactory.getInstance().getTemplate(templateid)):new Creature(CreatureTemplateFactory.getInstance().getTemplate(templateid));
    long wid = WurmId.getNextCreatureId();

try {
        while(Creatures.getInstance().getCreature(wid) != null) {
            wid = WurmId.getNextCreatureId();
        }
    } catch (Exception var16) {
        System.err.println("IT'S BROKE: " + var16.getMessage());
    }

IT'S BROKE: No such creature for id: 159084739329
IT'S BROKE: No such creature for id: 159101516545
IT'S BROKE: No such creature for id: 159118293761
IT'S BROKE: No such creature for id: 159135070977
IT'S BROKE: No such creature for id: 159151848193
IT'S BROKE: No such creature for id: 159168625409
IT'S BROKE: No such creature for id: 159185402625
IT'S BROKE: No such creature for id: 159202179841
IT'S BROKE: No such creature for id: 159218957057
IT'S BROKE: No such creature for id: 159235734273
IT'S BROKE: No such creature for id: 159252511489
IT'S BROKE: No such creature for id: 159269288705

Edited by Drathania
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Drathania said:

Still tinkering with things, I don't actually hope to fix it, I know little/nothing about programming in general... but at least it's distracting me from playing atm.

Server.jar;com/wurmonline/server/creatures/Creature.class

Doesn't really tell you much when things don't work > fixed.

Holy hell thats alot of borked ID's.....  

It's constantly spamming, I didn't want to post all of them, about 60 second test before I force the server closed, if not less. Those poor mobs, dead before they even had a chance to slay their first newbie.

• Like 1

1. No such creature for id: 66374444289
  2.         at com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Creatures.getCreature(Creatures.java:752)
  3.         at com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Creature.doNew(Creature.java:6768)
  4.         at com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Creature.doNew(Creature.java:6760)
  5.         at com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Creature.doNew(Creature.java:6756)
  6.         at com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Creature.doNew(Creature.java:6752)
  7.         at com.wurmonline.server.zones.Zone.spawnEncounter(Zone.java:1362)
  8.         at com.wurmonline.server.zones.Zone.spawnCreature(Zone.java:1204)
  9.         at com.wurmonline.server.zones.Zone.poll(Zone.java:737)
  10.         at com.wurmonline.server.zones.Zones.pollNextZones(Zones.java:1583)
  11.         at com.wurmonline.server.Server.run(Server.java:1812)
  12.         at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Unknown Source)
  13.         at java.util.TimerThread.run(Unknown Source)
  15. Creature ID: 102
  16. Creating Creature ID #66374444289
  17. Saving Creature ID: 66374444289

66374444289 never appeared in the creatures.db.

Still stabbing stuff, turns out it's not just hell hounds and wild spiders, seeing sheep, cows, bull ID's... 

Temporary workaround/hacky fix using Intellij

com.wurmonline.server.zones.Zone.class;

Line 1002 (ish in spawnEncounter);

if(!var141.nonNewbie) {

change to (commented out)

//if(!var141.nonNewbie) {

and remove extra brace.

Or add "temp.nonNewbie=false;" to the com.wurmonline.server.creatures.CreatureTemplateCreator.class to every mob effected.

Seeing wild spawns once more.

Not sure if a config variable isn't documented or if this is a bug.

Edited by Drathania
Edited to make it easier to find; spawnEncounter

9 hours ago, Drathania said:

Temporary workaround/hacky fix

com.wurmonline.server.zones.Zone.class;

Line 1002 (ish);

if(!var141.nonNewbie) {

change to (commented out)

//if(!var141.nonNewbie) {

and remove extra brace.

Or add "temp.nonNewbie=false;" to the com.wurmonline.server.creatures.CreatureTemplateCreator.class to every mob effected.

Seeing wild spawns once more.

Not sure if a config variable isn't documented or if this is a bug.

Great job works great.

• Like 1

BOOM working.. Thanks for the tip Drathania...    You're the Shiz! 

• Like 1

Yeah I'm too dumb with java to get this to work so I'm going to bump this thread up.

The server I made about a month ago has 0 hell creatures, has never had any, there's insane amounts of fog spiders though.