Sign in to follow this  
Cista

So this is still a thing it seems. A couple of times today I found a tool (in abandoned places), and when examining it, it gave me the message that crafter name was erased and I now proudly etch my own name on the thing.

That's not so nice.

Can anyone walk me through the mechanism for exactly what results in a crafter name being erased? I have no clue.

If I have tools in a chest on my deed, will the names of these crafters also be erased over time?

Edited by Cista

Think it has to do with time without repairing the tool, weapon, etc. Or decay %, not sure but have found things like that myself and if the decay was over say 40.0 when I repaired and re-examined the armor it "etched" my name as creator. But I have got tools and things from players who are long gone from the game I told and they still bare their names.

It usually happens when the creator of the tool was a never-premium character and the toon was deleted, then the tag will be of the next one examining it. Also, some items didn not have a creator tag, when they got one, the player having them in inventory and examining them was set as 'creator" (horseshoes, for example). And, of course, the old database issue, when some items lost their creators tags.

• Like 2

Thanks!  Two plausible, but widely diverse explanations!

I certainly prefer the last one to be true (the crafter was never premium and character got deleted) rather than the first (time plus amount of damage).

Can anyone comfirm?

I'm quite sure Evening's description is correct.

Scenario 1: non prem toon deleted, no record anymore in the database - next player examines it gets the creator tag.

Scenario 2: items that did not have creator tags in thae past (I think horse shoes are a certain example) - first player examines it gets the creator tag.

Creator tag will not be washed away by decay - unless the item goes poof of course.

• Like 1

I get this all the time. The siggy on pieces of my scale suit disappear at least once a year. They were made by a preemi player who is still around. Siggys on some of my tools and weapons that are always in my inventory, occasionally disappear too. For the most part, I was the creator of them all. It's got to be a bug in game that makes it happen, not sure what it is. Maybe to do with crossing servers, is what someone once mentioned to me as the culprit.

• Like 1

[07:07:11] Since its creator tag has faded, you decide to keep history alive by scratching your name on it. Afterwards you proudly read 'Gumbo'.

[07:09:03] Since its creator tag has faded, you decide to keep history alive by scratching your name on it. Afterwards you proudly read 'Gumbo'.

[07:09:51] Since its creator tag has faded, you decide to keep history alive by scratching your name on it. Afterwards you proudly read 'Gumbo'.

on my file, scissors, and sickle, that have been in my inventory exclusively, except for when I put in a coffin for a few hours a couple weeks ago. So three things today. All were made by me and never get much damage on them, and stay in my inventory almost always.

examined my armour:

[07:51:39] Since its creator tag has faded, you decide to keep history alive by scratching your name on it. Afterwards you proudly read 'Gumbo'.

[07:53:07] Since its creator tag has faded, you decide to keep history alive by scratching your name on it. Afterwards you proudly read 'Gumbo'.

[07:53:22] Since its creator tag has faded, you decide to keep history alive by scratching your name on it. Afterwards you proudly read 'Gumbo'.

Two drake sleeves and one drake glove all needing siggys, yet again.

Edited by Gumbo
  • Like 1

Indy and chaos had all sigs wiped around 2012 after a server crash.

I don't know why but I like it when some nice armor that Pingpong has created gets my name on it instead, heh.

=Ayes=

If you put an item on a non prem alt for a while then take it back off, it wipes the signature.

Witnessed it hundreds of times.

18 hours ago, Daolin said:

If you put an item on a non prem alt for a while then take it back off, it wipes the signature.

Witnessed it hundreds of times.

Do you mean equip it?