Sign in to follow this  
ozmods

Walnut and chestnut as wine barrels?

So im clearing the hills. Behind my town ready for orchards and my vineyard, there are a large number of both chestnut and walnut trees, can they be used for wine barrels, or would they be better suited to ship building resources or furniture or something? 

Thanks for your input

In most cases, you can use any wood you want and it'll be equally effective. There are a few exceptions, such as willow being preferable for bows and fishing rods, oak for tools, and maple/cedar for arrows. Walnut provides a bonus to charcoal piles, so if you see yourself having need for high-quality steel in the future, you could save it for that. Otherwise it simply comes down to preference.

cheers, i'm going to be doing everything that the game has to offer, so yes high quality steel is in the future, I might store it away for that,

thanks.

You want to use cedar for containers or vehicles that will be off deed for any length of time because it will reduce the decay. On deed with no decay the type of wood doesn't matter (in terms of decay that is).

yup will be on deed, as i'm the only one on my map for the moment at least, so I have the run of the entire map, and yep I get that from my other topic, I posted regarding timbers, I just wasn't too sure if you could use any type on deed.

When making something out of a specific wood, the last piece attached is *typically* the type of wood for the final product. Making a cedar bsb? You can use 24 firwood planks and attach a cedar plank at the end to get a cedar bsb.  

I say keep all the walnut & chestnut to use for random "stuff" and just finish it off with the best wood for that particular item.

yeah I get that, I've decided to go with oak wood as much as I can, it's pretty scarce, so I might just use 'other' wood, and keep the oak for the last piece that goes onto it,

for anyone who maybe interested, my private server is open for public viewing from 6pm everynight, that is Australian time, it's now nearly 5pm so If you want to come on and have a look at what i'm doing leave some feedback or just say hello then you are more than welcome, my server name is town of Yorkshire, I would love to see you, it's purely creative there is no pvp or anything like that, I have dotted "safehouses" for protection if needed.