Sign in to follow this  
icbash

The Bitter Pill.

May of you people may know me. Some may hate me, some may think of me as a friend.

That's not the point of this thread. The point of this post is to bring awareness as to why wurm is failing its players and why people like me are quitting.

(Before continuing, note that this took place on a Freedom deed. Not chaos nor epic.)

On the March 23rd I log into my main after working a long 80-hour work week to get some relaxing time in before bed.

I logged into a war-zone. Gates and fences in key areas of my deed had been catapulted down. And before you ask I had all "destroy" permissions off for everyone - even my alts could do not this on deed. All barded and shod horses were dead and gone with all gear. Warehouse cleaned out.(which, I admit, might not have been 100% locked down so what was lost out of there is moot).

But the fact that someone could bring down walls, gates and even bridge on-deed no matter what perms say. Really bugged me.

After playing cat and mouse in order to talk a to GM - a really nice GM - the burden was put on me to find how this happened. I'm sorry but I cannot look at logs from server or get remote ID. That ticket is still open today.

To this day stuff on deed is likely still not safe. No-one in a position of authority has found how this expolt works and no-one who does know it has brought it forward.

I wish Wurm the best of luck, but you are failing your paying player base.

Like many of you, I had a lot of hope for Wurm and what it really could be.

Hi @icbash

I am sorry to hear about this. With the new permissions system it can be a long arduous task to go through and make sure everything is perfect. 

However, on the subject of the GM; it does fall on you to find out whom has done this and then I am not sure even if a GM will be able to o it with hard evidence that this is the person that n fact did it. GMs are meant to be impartial third parties and their job is to deal with conflict not create it. 

I do hate to see you go but can see why. Again I am sorry for this happening to you and I hope that one day you find a game that can live up to Wurm Online. 

Thanks, 

Zachariah 

Trolls can bash down walls/fencing on deeds under certain circumstances if they dumbly think they are trapped inside, even if they entered some other way such as a mine opening or maybe over a ledge from which they fell into the deed. So I would consider them before assuming player catapults were the issue.

I have had exactly this happen before by trolls. Then they even entered a arched wall of a building and rather than walking out through it broke another one completely down.

Then thar be them dragons too, which could do such things. Maybe some other Unique can as well, not sure.

Then once these walls/fencing were troll bashed player(s) might have entered to take advantage of the situation.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I'm thinking it was a unique creature, one of them spawned nearby or even inside. Sorry this happened but i think you should give this all a second chance. If a unique busted all the walls and you didnt lock stuff down, the chances of things being taken are high. If you need somewhere else to live we will be happy to take you in at Pristine.

sorry chap's but troll and dragons don't leave pile's of rock shards in front of building and missing wall's and catapult siting off corner of deed

oh i checked perm's so did gm destroy was off to all..

im not new when it comes to perms i have helped people set up there deeds with new perm system. even found few bugs with them that forced sever to be shut down for hotfix.

you all have been warned gl in wurm nothing u have or own even on a locked down deed is safe.

That is exactly what a GM should be figuring out.  They have the tools to see exactly who did what.  If they don't, they shouldnt be GMs.  If all his his area was deeded and all of those items were on deed and were destroyed, a GM should have been able to figure out how.

This is the 2nd instance that I know of if his was deeded.  A house had a wall missing with 99 days of upkeep.  So there is something going on but noone is willing to give it up yet.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, icbash said:

sorry chap's but troll and dragons don't leave pile's of rock shards in front of building and missing wall's and catapult siting off corner of deed

im not new when it comes to perms i have helped people set up there deeds with new perm system. even found few bugs with them that forced sever to be shut down for hotfix.

you all have been warned gl in wurm nothing u have or own even on a locked down deed is safe.

The only other thing I could think of outside of bug exploitation, and this is a big stretch but not impossible, is if someone logged into YOUR account and did this damage to your own deed.

i had that checked to  people sayed i was offline 2 days befor i loged on the 23rd

• Like 1

1 minute ago, icbash said:

i had that checked to  people sayed i was offline 2 days befor i loged on the 23rd

It's possible the offline-notice time was buggy.  Like I said, it's a stretch, but seems to be the only remaining possibility.  I doubt that is what happened, but crazier things have taken place in this game...

if my char was logged on that would of stolen the 18gold worth of items on my char plus the 2gold in my bank

I know of another player who left wurm six months ago over the same thing.  The GMs told every one around the place to not come near so they can investigate.  Nothing ever came of it and the player left. They lost everything.  Because of how it was swept under the rug I suspect a few things.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, icbash said:

Thank you for giving us a head's up. I appreciate it. "See you on down the Road" and I wish you and yours well.

53 minutes ago, Pashka said:

That is exactly what a GM should be figuring out.  They have the tools to see exactly who did what.  If they don't, they shouldnt be GMs.  If all his his area was deeded and all of those items were on deed and were destroyed, a GM should have been able to figure out how.

This is the 2nd instance that I know of if his was deeded.  A house had a wall missing with 99 days of upkeep.  So there is something going on but noone is willing to give it up yet.

I agree. We pay premium on our characters and we pay Deed costs/maintenance. As a part of that price I expect GMs to come to our aid if something odd happens like this, I expect GMs to have the abilities to look in Server logs and the DB to find out what happened. If it is not their "policy" to do so they had best take some time and find out what GMs in other MMOs/Online Games do for their customers and mirror it at least in this area.

Telling a Player to figure out from their own logs why something odd like this happened is essentially telling that Player to "Pack Sand" and I don't mean that in the Digging sense.

Edited by geode
  • Like 11

18 minutes ago, geode said:

Telling a Player to figure out from their own logs why something odd like this happened is essentially telling that Player to "Pack Sand" and I don't mean that in the Digging sense.

Win.

• Like 1

It sounds odd that a GM wouldn't be able to look at the area history to see who was performing actions.

I'd assume it was something wrong with your permissions or someone who you thought was your friend - if the permissions system had a glaring hole like that we'd probably know about it. Probably. Much more likely is that permissions aren't super user-friendly and you missed something.

Edited by Chakron

38 minutes ago, Chakron said:

It sounds odd that a GM wouldn't be able to look at the area history to see who was performing actions.

I'd assume it was something wrong with your permissions or someone who you thought was your friend - if the permissions system had a glaring hole like that we'd probably know about it. Probably. Much more likely is that permissions aren't super user-friendly and you missed something.

the permission system does have a glaring hole. Hashirama catapulting Kratos from the inside should have been an indicator of this. As far as I know, nothing has changed to prevent what was done that day.

Hey guys its me again.

Again I am sorry about what has happened to you and I cannot say on what it was. However, I know for a fact that Gm's (regular ones at least) do not have the ability to look at area history to see who has done what in the area. However, Arch GMs, I don't know if they can or not but it would make sense if they could. 

Thanks, 

Zachariah

Okay, there is NO reason that GMs shouldn't be able to see who does what. Someone at least. I love Wurm and maybe I'm a goody goody about it most of the time, but if this is what is driving people off, it needs to be fixed. No amount of trellises and new shiny things can make up for this. 

• Like 2

Question?

Whos catapult was it?

If not yours would there not be a name on it ?

Did anyone see strange name in area?

If i see someone i dont know i try to track them down , to see what there doing.

Most dont last long in area.

I wish you best of luck and hope a GM gets back to you and us on what happened.

2 hours ago, Stik said:

the permission system does have a glaring hole. Hashirama catapulting Kratos from the inside should have been an indicator of this. As far as I know, nothing has changed to prevent what was done that day.

So are you saying that it's possible to catapult walls on a deed as long as the catapult is on the same deed, no matter the deed settings?

What happened to icky is ######, should get some kind of investigation into what happened and answers.

When it comes to theft in this game, customer service is lacking, the guilty party's are given a pat on the back for job well done and victims just get booted down the road and told to shut up.

I seen a graph posted by in another thread, which has since vanished, shows a very strong decline in wurm game play, this type of stuff going on and the slope will just keep getting steeper.

By the way, I could not catapult fences on my own deeds as a citizen with all the roles as of two days ago, I finally had to take over the writ to take down the fences so how the hell did this happen.

Something is going on and they are not talking about it.

Edited by JakeRivers

3 hours ago, Stik said:

Clearly you and the MR guys do not know anything.
Kratos had permissions for alliance members to be able to destroy buildings. My alt was able to bash an entire wall and catapult too caus duh permissions. (as it was an ally member and not villager)
It might be bugged or not, but in that scenario it was mayor's fault alone. 

Chaos is a pvp server, therefore "hunted" bugged status is the root cause.
Also before you take my name you should know more about the game, people can effectively use trolls to bash other people's house. It is very easy to accomplish (but only works for unfinished houses), that wouldnt likely be how icbash lost his stuff but there are many ways to break in, just saying. Troll one is the only one I know so far.

Again, mayor of Kratos didn't know how to set up permissions properly, I have talked about this to MR guys as well as other people, it might be bugged or not but that example which you are using here does not fit. And while you were yourself witnessing the entire episode on skype through screenshare, I think I already told you few times that they had messed up permissions there and I also remember you laughing and giggling about it.

Edited by Hashirama

25 minutes ago, Ecrir said:

So are you saying that it's possible to catapult walls on a deed as long as the catapult is on the same deed, no matter the deed settings?

if you are on pve server, i doubt anyone can catapult your house unless they have permissions.

if you are on pvp though, it might give you bugged hunted status even though you do not have permission to catapult and you can still keep doing so in your own kingdom village.

From experience so far, i doubt there is any problem regarding this on PvE side, could be someone who had permissions and stole icbash's stuff.

Edited by Hashirama

5 minutes ago, Hashirama said:

if you are on pve server, i doubt anyone can catapult your house unless they have permissions.

if you are on pvp though, it might give you bugged hunted status even though you do not have permission to catapult and you can still keep doing so in your own kingdom village.

On a PvE server only the mayor of a deed can successfully catapult structures.  Even if you're a villager or ally with permissions you are still unable to catapult structures.  You'll consistently get the "you just seemed to miss" whatever it is you're aiming at, and you'll never land a hit.

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 1