Sign in to follow this  
Sirene

Lets group together?

Lets group together? One server full of life?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What are you thinking about starting over on one of the servers together with a lot of Wurmians?

• I would like a lively server and I would move to it to start over there.
    • I am scared it would destroy my actual community and vote against it.
    • I would stay at my deed but would like to see such a server for trading options.
    • I would start there and hold my old deed.
    • I would try this idea becoming a citizen of an excisting village over there, holding my old deed.
    • Not a good idea at all.

I believe Rolf said he would never close a server unless the population possibly died out completely which I don't see happening, or if it did, wurm be done anyways.

@SlickshotWell I actually have joined a community on Xanadu, its one that I am glad to be a member of.  I don't charge my local alliance members for magic since they all pitch in to help their local fo priest.  If I were looking to sell my magic or potion mixing services I'd probably look to visit other servers for that.  The trouble is that in a well established alliance cluster someone usually owns a priest and offers magic in the same way I do (free for alliance members) so in theory it works well but in practice I don't tend to get out much XD

3 hours ago, Amadee said:

The travel time-sink in Wurm makes inland deeds impractical and prohibitive in most cases.  Already on all 3 of the newer servers coastal land is pretty much gone now too, even Xan unless you get really creative with a seemingly uninhabitable stretch of rocky coastline like I did, or travel inland to a lake area and then have to rely on someone's canals and unreasonable travel times to get to a server crossing. 

There is a HUGE amount of deedable coastal land on Xanadu. I chose to live on a slighty pre-terraformed cove in the rocky coastline, because I like having a coastal but forested and next to a giant mountain deed, but there are expanses of open coastal land everywhere I have been, and that's just on the east coast. If anyone feels they can't find coastal land on Xanadu, I can point out some areas on the map (Depending on your needs, of course. It IS a bit mountainous.). 

That being said, I like the idea of forming up a group and moving to a smaller server, though I am a slight hermit myself and wouldn't want to leave my cute little deed, since I've put a lot of work into it. 

2 hours ago, Sirene said:

The Intention of this thread for me was to find out if there are enough players to try to reactivate one server als a more populated one. There are some player that leaved xanadu for older servers, we have this on Independence alliance too. Some just moved back to Indy. But thats it, some to here some to there... we stay pretty spreaded. :-)

What you are suggesting here has always been available to all players. At any time they can move to any server that they choose. I guess what you are attempting here is to organize and publish a move to some particular server for those so inclined who wish to group close together for more social interaction. Other than this point, again anyone has always been able to do this.

Now the fact that a huge group has never been formed such a this should tell you something, that being there is no real interest in it. Players are always advertising their particular locations on various servers when they want more players around them. Maybe you think all these diverse types of smaller communities would want to group up in this manner? I pretty much doubt this since they have diverse goals one group from the next and they have chosen to continue to perpetuate their own separate interests.

As for the thought of shutting down servers to *force everyone onto one server (not proposed by you), this is an abhorrent concept that takes away the current option for players to live on various servers and to continue within their various deeds that they are already quite attached to. Fortunately something this drastic will never happen because the god of Wurm has always moved in the opposite direction of more expansion providing more choices of living environments and player interactions.

Yea sure, some players like to socialize and others do not and if a large organized group of players move to one server with the intent to create a massive community such as this, I sure hope that it is not the one that I live upon now. I have had my deed there since the day the server opened and would not wish to move anywhere else when throngs of players moved into the local area with this intent. The game as is it setup allows a diversity of play styles, so remember when large groups such as this take over areas the result can be that they disturb play styles of others not so inclined.

*Don't you know that you can count me out* ~Revolution~The Beatles~

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Every one wants to be the one with coastal access. Most people then want forest around their deed.  I don't think I have met any one who likes having someone else's perimm touch thiers.  I live on deli and currently have four deeds there.  Slowly getting rid of the ones I have finished. I keep my first one for sentimental reasons.  My second one has over 1.5g worth of dirt there that I moved to make it.  No companion would make up for that kind of work.  If I had paid for that dirt I would be out as the compensation suggested would only pay me back the current owned tiles and invested upkeep. My newest deed is one of the mountains and the amount of supports and or strong wallcasts alone would be over a gold. I am still working on building this deed as it is a new deed.  I have only owned one coastal deed on deli and that was the first one I got rid of.  Coastal day deeds are very useful if you arelooking at makeing money.  Since I don't play for money I like having a inland deed.  I do keep my boats at deliverance harbor, the poor owner there normally has to dispose of any were from one to five abandoned large carts a month off the docks of his deed.

As for community, my first deed is close to greendog, the capital city of deliverance.  Well near in terms of relatively to the size of the use server.  I am used to people putting a deed up right next to mine so perims touch. If you look at the map dump you will see my area looks like a strip mall. Except for the spot my deed is at.  The intention of that deed is to be a lake side back wood cottage deed. Nice and simple.  Its location though makes it very prone to having noob shacks put up every summer the school kids start showing up for summer vacation.  The deeds that go up around me are always temporary as they leave because the game sucks or because they now know what the want in the game and move to better spot.  I like having a community to help with.  My skills are limited but normally enough that I can get some one new moving in a direction.  

If Rolf said he was consolidating the population and was going to shut down my server I would move.  It would mean years of work would be lost though.

• Like 1

If you want to glom together, go ahead and glom together. Why would this have to be forced? I'm not rebuilding my deeds. I have lot of animals I have no desire to move nor can I move them across servers. And over time I've come to wish I didn't have neighbors. I'm tired of looking at fugly - tons of laggy colossi, giant swaths of land clear-cut, big areas dug down to bedrock, and not to mention the griefing. Even neighbors I like have done things I found unpleasant to large areas of land that were not their own deeds. The freedom chats are fine enough company if I feel chatty. If you need someone right on top of you, post a lot here and in chat whereabouts you want to make this tight area, and other people who want that also hopefully will come your way.

I dont want to force anything, its just a discussion here ;-).

Atm it seems like there are not a hudge amount of people that would be interested in such a move , so I think we can relax and play our game ;-). I like your diversity of different opinions and I see that people actually like that they are seperated from nearby neighbours. You are right, it feels not optimal to have a deed touching the perimeter of another one. I do like some space around my deeds too. 

Why did I start this poll? Because I had the feeling there actually are people that search a more populated area (there are questions like where should I move to... or where should I settle). I also see a movement away from Xanadu to older server. My intention was to find out if maybe people would be interested to chose the same server for their movements to group together. If its not the case, I am totally fine. As I said I wouldnt give up my deeds anyway because I like the community that is around them.  I did see the possibility that people fear that their communities get lost because people would left them behind moving away. 

What I didnt realise at the point I opened the polls was the fear to get new neighbours. Thats because I was always in communities that advertised their area to get new players in the neighbourhood. So I see now that there are actually more people that dont want to have neighbours near them. Thank you for this insight :-).

5 hours ago, Ayes said:

Now the fact that a huge group has never been formed such a this should tell you something, that being there is no real interest in it. Players are always advertising their particular locations on various servers when they want more players around them. Maybe you think all these diverse types of smaller communities would want to group up in this manner? I pretty much doubt this since they have diverse goals one group from the next and they have chosen to continue to perpetuate their own separate interests.

Thats what I realise with the outcome of this discussion. Like I said, I am totally fine with it. 

I will not form a group of lets say 10-20 people to move on one area of the maps. That is been done in the past and will happen here and there but this doesnt change anything and there are active communities which still like to get new players around them.  I really thought because I heared a lot people saying the old days with more active player around was better - then why not make one server the one where we group together to have this exact situation again. I had the feeling that maybe its a good idea to speak about the options we have. If people discuss if it would make sense to close servers, and Rolf says no we dont but you can choose to live more close together.... this discussion if we want to choose this option was what I wanted to start. Nothing else. Do we want to group together on one server? Thats the question that was in the room for me like the pink elephant no one speaks about. And there it is, I pointed to it ;-) nothing more or less.

I see now thats not really what a lot of people want and its okay then.

And its fine, I am willing to point people to the communities that are searching for neighbours, but I dont want to force something like a little group of people building a new little community. 

Thank you all for stating your opinions :). The pink elephant can go now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Amadee said:

Balancing the desires of those wanting closely packed communities with lots of people in local and those wanting lots of space and/or self sufficiency has always been a problem for Wurm as far as I can see.  Opening new servers was the only way to provide opportunities for more people to deed a "prime" piece of land.  I see that as the primary reason people spread out so much.  To my mind, the problem with community isn't the proximity (or lack of proximity) of people to each other, it's the lack of an easy and not-so-time-consuming way for people to congregate when they choose to.

Before Pristine, Release, and Xanadu, the forum was always full of people complaining that there was no room to expand, no way to get a deed on the water, and new people saying they won't play because there's nowhere to deed.  There was room for more people away from the water or in nearly inaccessible areas that would require a lot of creative terraforming, but most people want coast with plenty of resources and room to expand.

The travel time-sink in Wurm makes inland deeds impractical and prohibitive in most cases.  Already on all 3 of the newer servers coastal land is pretty much gone now too, even Xan unless you get really creative with a seemingly uninhabitable stretch of rocky coastline like I did, or travel inland to a lake area and then have to rely on someone's canals and unreasonable travel times to get to a server crossing. 

The opportunity has always been there to do what you're wanting to do.  It can be done.  Some have already done it, others have chosen not to and have spread out. I do wish you luck though with gathering enough people willing to accept living without a coastal deed in order to make the kind of populated area you're looking for.  I don't really see a way to have a highly populated area, and yet with everyone on the water who wants to be, but I'm sure it's worth a try if that's what you really want. 

Either your eyes need checking or you don't travel much around.. there is avst shores of Xanadu that are lefty undeeded you just have to look.. now maybe the ones i have been to are the only ones but there is still spac e by the water..

18 out of 32 answers being positive shows there is interest. There just weren't many answers (and I doubt you can get hundreds because there's just not that many people reading the forum :) )

In my opinion, I guess we should just let people decide for themselves whether they would like to move or not. As for myself, I used to live in Xanadu but it was too lonely for me, so I moved to Independence and now I'm satisfied. However, there are also people who don't socialize and they would probably dislike to be forced or advised to move somewhere else. 

9 hours ago, Sirene said:

I dont want to force something like a little group of people building a new little community. 

There's nothing wrong with that; if people want to do it, they should and it would be nice if there was a way to organize that. But if my server shuts down, I'm done with this game for good. I don't enjoy surface mining, and I have a lot of animals that were hard to acquire.

I for one would not mind the move(but then again I just have this char)

but the real question is, are we only talkin about a PVE server or will you(we) all move to a PVP server?

don't wanna throw in a monkey wrench, but, unless I missed this topic, if you want to have only one server, or even 2 servers hopefully it will either be half pvp or 1/1 ratio?

I think it would be great.  There should be a regular cycle of new servers opening.  Most people are explorers at heart and love to see new things.  It is nice having a home server, where you know every detail, but fun to explore new horizons that are untouched and full of mystery.

Old servers should stay open too, unless the avg daily pop falls to single digits.  Then compensate the players, give them the option to move, or if they are taking a long break, GMs put all their items on that server in some sort of escrow and pop the server.

Having old servers with low population makes for great hunting servers.

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I think it would be great.  There should be a regular cycle of new servers opening.  Most people are explorers at heart and love to see new things.  It is nice having a home server, where you know every detail, but fun to explore new horizons that are untouched and full of mystery.

Old servers should stay open too, unless the avg daily pop falls to single digits.  Then compensate the players, give them the option to move, or if they are taking a long break, GMs put all their items on that server in some sort of escrow and pop the server.

Having old servers with low population makes for great hunting servers.

Having frequent new servers popping up makes for desolation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Psalamon said:

Either your eyes need checking or you don't travel much around.. there is avst shores of Xanadu that are lefty undeeded you just have to look.. now maybe the ones i have been to are the only ones but there is still spac e by the water..

No, I really haven't traveled around that much lately because I found a spot in the area I wanted and got creative with it. At that time though, it was a challenge to find it. It actually turned out to be far more habitable than it appeared at first so I'm not complaining. I love where I'm at. :)

I was mainly going by what I see people posting, as I said, and what I hear people saying all the time.  And too, I know that a lot of people have left now for WU or left Xan to go back to an older server, and/or deeds left when people initially moved to Xan. So it makes sense there may be some open coast on Xan right now and maybe even on the older servers. 

The point I was making is that that is the land "most" people want (I know, not all) and before Xan, Pristine, and Release, all that land was indeed taken so new servers were needed in order for more people to have a shot at that kind of land.

Mostly everyone seems to want the perfect location with all the resources within sight, in between a coast and a forest. I imagine an expansive city, formed by many fully-paved deeds and tall buildings, where a new player can choose his profession as a craftsman without ever venturing out to gather his own materials.

Imagine an entire landmass without a single untouched tile, no longer containing even a single resource. That city would have coins for blood and would be heavily trafficked by trading ships. It would be practical to own neither pick nor axe, yet all material goods would be closer and easier to attain. The daily excitement would be replaced with consistency, and venturing out across the waters into the wild lands would be a much more thrilling experience. 

• Like 1