Sign in to follow this  
Sirene

Lets group together?

Lets group together? One server full of life?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What are you thinking about starting over on one of the servers together with a lot of Wurmians?

• I would like a lively server and I would move to it to start over there.
    • I am scared it would destroy my actual community and vote against it.
    • I would stay at my deed but would like to see such a server for trading options.
    • I would start there and hold my old deed.
    • I would try this idea becoming a citizen of an excisting village over there, holding my old deed.
    • Not a good idea at all.

Hello,

I am looking at the numbers of player in the game and I think there are sooo many player still in the game and it often still feels lonely because we are so seperated over all this servers. So why not move together a bit to get the old feel of the game where a lot of player was active. No one would need to give up his old deeds because the landmass stays as it is. But we - as the player-  could choose one of the smaller server and move there, build there and make this one server a lively place. Mostly Wurms communities go trough circles which start with the building of deeds, where people are very active and the economy is lively to but then when the deeds get finished, people get bored, move on, leave or start over on another place. So why not try to pick a smaller server, start over with a lot of player and just having a good time together? We are so many people online that could easily make a smaller server very populated. 

There are downsides to of course... it could be the last shot for some little communities on Xanadu or other empty areas if the last people that are there move to the new place. But also it could provide so much new adventures, new group actions like building bridges and tunnels and all that fun that was there - in the old days. We could just pick one of the servers that is not as big as Xanadu and move there. No one really looses something because no one needs to disband an old deed.

After the start for shure some villages would pop up who take new players for free housing and so we could point the new ones to this active server. If people prefer the hermit playing, they still could hold their old deeds.

We could poll for which server too. Would be best to choose one with a lot of abandoned land or one where a lot of people are active and enough land is available? Could be another poll then.

What are you thinking? Its just an idea I know a lot of Wurmians had the same idea the last days so I just spill it out here to see the reactions :).

Greetings from Sirene

• Like 2

I love this idea! in fact, I would go so far as starting over for something like this. People often complain about how spread out the community is but the reality is that we have spread ourselves out.

There are places that already have active communities, alliances with lots of players and deeds bustling with activity. I think it would be preferable if we use one of these hubs as a starting point and congregate around there. It would give a stable base to the community and we would be building on an already established community.

1 minute ago, McGarnicle said:

I love this idea! in fact, I would go so far as starting over for something like this. People often complain about how spread out the community is but the reality is that we have spread ourselves out.

There are places that already have active communities, alliances with lots of players and deeds bustling with activity. I think it would be preferable if we use one of these hubs as a starting point and congregate around there. It would give a stable base to the community and we would be building on an already established community.

Exactly.  I myself am in the process of building an active alliance community on Inde.  It's a lot of fun to have neighbors in or near local, and to hear hammers and saws all day!

I remember when I started playing back in 2009, there were at the time only 3 servers, golden valley, independence and wild, and there was a really close - knit feel about it, much more then than now. I miss it to some extent, but as McGarnicle touched on we have spread out further. More to the point, the game has forced us further apart with the addition of all the newer servers.

I'm on Xanadu currently and regularly see upwards of 150 online but only see my mate Aske in local. If he does not log on I don't see anyone unless I travel for bloody miles from my deed....Xanadu is so big, lol.

• Like 1

I like this idea. The community/social structure is what keeps Wurm interesting to me. 

2 minutes ago, Lancelot said:

I remember when I started playing back in 2009, there were at the time only 3 servers, golden valley, independence and wild, and there was a really close - knit feel about it, much more then than now. I miss it to some extent, but as McGarnicle touched on we have spread out further. More to the point, the game has forced us further apart with the addition of all the newer servers.

I'm on Xanadu currently and regularly see upwards of 150 online but only see my mate Aske in local. If he does not log on I don't see anyone unless I travel for bloody miles from my deed....Xanadu is so big, lol.

Come to Inde mate.  The Storm Lands are always accepting new villages and villagers!

I don't have much to loose aside from the little community we already have near Black Forest Nemeton. I hold the people there dear and would really hate to abandon them. Thus I'll keep hoping some more people will move into the area :)

While this isn't totally relevant to me since I'm not on the same cluster, I'd 100% support something like this if I were. Community (or lack thereof) is the one thing that will make or break a person's experience in Wurm. It's the reason why a few people quitting tends to have such a snowball effect.

And it applies everywhere. If I were to draw a parallel on PvP servers, everyone says "the map is too big" or "we don't want to travel half an hour to fight", except...you're kinda the one who put yourself in that position, aren't you? You decided to build on the absolute polar opposite side of a 256km^2 map. And this goes to show that, at some base level, we have control over our own communities and we can't expect Code Club to wave a magic wand and fix the problems that we ourselves are responsible for.

Edited by Fawkes
  • Like 5

It's actually a very difficult decision since I have lived in close quarters with other people before.  It worked out well till the "expansionist vs naturalist" point came up.

I had settled in the area and others asked if they could settle up near me (or I openly invited them).  My only request is that they DO NOT expand into the forest I had taken a long time planting, or run highways through it.

Eventually though a bloc of players felt that since they had part of their deeds in the forest (since they expanded their original small deeds outwards) that land was theirs to do with as they liked and they openly broke that agreement.  There was nothing I could do and we soon saw public resources being locked down and locked up.  The area is now largely ruins with one big megadeed in the middle walled off from the world, no-one stays there for long for some reason...

The real sticking point to me is the "deed it or lose it" mentality a lot of players openly embrace.  Overnight you can see a carefully planted dense forest turn into another abandoned horse factory, or the local tar/clay patch being deeded over.  If such a pland went ahead I'd probably join an existing village so I'd have a home base when I went over to sell my magic, but I doubt I'd give up my mountain home.

14 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

It's actually a very difficult decision since I have lived in close quarters with other people before.  It worked out well till the "expansionist vs naturalist" point came up.

I had settled in the area and others asked if they could settle up near me (or I openly invited them).  My only request is that they DO NOT expand into the forest I had taken a long time planting, or run highways through it.

Eventually though a bloc of players felt that since they had part of their deeds in the forest (since they expanded their original small deeds outwards) that land was theirs to do with as they liked and they openly broke that agreement.  There was nothing I could do and we soon saw public resources being locked down and locked up.  The area is now largely ruins with one big megadeed in the middle walled off from the world, no-one stays there for long for some reason...

The real sticking point to me is the "deed it or lose it" mentality a lot of players openly embrace.  Overnight you can see a carefully planted dense forest turn into another abandoned horse factory, or the local tar/clay patch being deeded over.  If such a pland went ahead I'd probably join an existing village so I'd have a home base when I went over to sell my magic, but I doubt I'd give up my mountain home.

My question here is; would you rather move to a brand new server for such a community, or join an existing growing community on a present server?  I can think of a few community alliances in Wurm right off the top of my head that are well suited for gatherings and neighborhood connections.  Some of those alliances are already well established, while others are currently growing and have the door open to more innovation and projects as they are fresh and exciting.

The good thing about discussions like that is.... its open in all directions and if most people just dont want to move or state that they want to stay then maybe we come to the conclusion that we are quite happy with the situation as it is at the moment. Would be a nice outcome of it to, wouldnt it? I can understand what Etherdrifter says and I have two hearts in me as well about beeing in a Wurm environment where some people are in local and I have always someone to chat with. On the other hand I am scared for people that would ruin the nature of my deed surroundings making it a paved stone hell because I choose a placed on Xan where it all looks so enchanting and want it to stay like that. On the other hand I am on Collossus lake on Independence and love it to have people in local to speak to and to game with. And I dont like the ghost deeds on Indy that are still deeded but no one is active ever. Or the abandoned places on Xan where only paved cobble stone fields are left to look ugly and let you feel left behind. So I would never give up one of both deeds, I would probably just plant another one ;-).

Balancing the desires of those wanting closely packed communities with lots of people in local and those wanting lots of space and/or self sufficiency has always been a problem for Wurm as far as I can see.  Opening new servers was the only way to provide opportunities for more people to deed a "prime" piece of land.  I see that as the primary reason people spread out so much.  To my mind, the problem with community isn't the proximity (or lack of proximity) of people to each other, it's the lack of an easy and not-so-time-consuming way for people to congregate when they choose to.

Before Pristine, Release, and Xanadu, the forum was always full of people complaining that there was no room to expand, no way to get a deed on the water, and new people saying they won't play because there's nowhere to deed.  There was room for more people away from the water or in nearly inaccessible areas that would require a lot of creative terraforming, but most people want coast with plenty of resources and room to expand.

The travel time-sink in Wurm makes inland deeds impractical and prohibitive in most cases.  Already on all 3 of the newer servers coastal land is pretty much gone now too, even Xan unless you get really creative with a seemingly uninhabitable stretch of rocky coastline like I did, or travel inland to a lake area and then have to rely on someone's canals and unreasonable travel times to get to a server crossing. 

The opportunity has always been there to do what you're wanting to do.  It can be done.  Some have already done it, others have chosen not to and have spread out. I do wish you luck though with gathering enough people willing to accept living without a coastal deed in order to make the kind of populated area you're looking for.  I don't really see a way to have a highly populated area, and yet with everyone on the water who wants to be, but I'm sure it's worth a try if that's what you really want. 

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Amadee said:

Balancing the desires of those wanting closely packed communities with lots of people in local and those wanting lots of space and/or self sufficiency has always been a problem for Wurm as far as I can see.  Opening new servers was the only way to provide opportunities for more people to deed a "prime" piece of land.  I see that as the primary reason people spread out so much.  To my mind, the problem with community isn't the proximity (or lack of proximity) of people to each other, it's the lack of an easy and not-so-time-consuming way for people to congregate when they choose to.

Before Pristine, Release, and Xanadu, the forum was always full of people complaining that there was no room to expand, no way to get a deed on the water, and new people saying they won't play because there's nowhere to deed.  There was room for more people away from the water or in nearly inaccessible areas that would require a lot of creative terraforming, but most people want coast with plenty of resources and room to expand.

The travel time-sink in Wurm makes inland deeds impractical and prohibitive in most cases.  Already on all 3 of the newer servers coastal land is pretty much gone now too, even Xan unless you get really creative with a seemingly uninhabitable stretch of rocky coastline like I did, or travel inland to a lake area and then have to rely on someone's canals and unreasonable travel times to get to a server crossing. 

The opportunity has always been there to do what you're wanting to do.  It can be done.  Some have already done it, others have chosen not to and have spread out. I do wish you luck though with gathering enough people willing to accept living without a coastal deed in order to make the kind of populated area you're looking for.  I don't really see a way to have a highly populated area, and yet with everyone on the water who wants to be, but I'm sure it's worth a try if that's what you really want. 

I've lived in land for many years.  Granted my deed is only about 70 tiles from water, it is still uphill and requires a little travel to the shore.  I've never had a problem with this.  Some people do, and some people don't.

My guildies an I were just talking about this, the best scenario we came up with was close all servers and give everyone silver reimbursement for what they currently have deeded.

Then give everyone 1 month to pack up their belongings and load their ships and sail to the new server. A fresh start for everyone would be the only fair avenue. Keeping any other server around would cause a big stink.

Even this scenario would piss off the hermits who like to live on the outskirts.

I have lived on Black Dog Island my entire time in Wurm as has most of my guildies we have called BDI home since Indy started, But for the sake of the game and community I think it's what needs to be done.

16 minutes ago, Edzwarr said:

My guildies an I were just talking about this, the best scenario we came up with was close all servers and give everyone silver reimbursement for what they currently have deeded.

Then give everyone 1 month to pack up their belongings and load their ships and sail to the new server. A fresh start for everyone would be the only fair avenue. Keeping any other server around would cause a big stink.

Even this scenario would piss off the hermits who like to live on the outskirts.

I have lived on Black Dog Island my entire time in Wurm as has most of my guildies we have called BDI home since Indy started, But for the sake of the game and community I think it's what needs to be done.

I see absolutely no need to close all the servers whatsoever.  I don't think we need as many as we have, but we certainly need more than just one.  We currently have 7 servers for PvE and 5 for PvP.  In my opinion we would do well to have only 5 PvE servers, and 1 or 2 PvP servers.  PvP is something that could use a reduction until it sees some healthy changes and a following resurgence of population that would allow for slow expansion.  As far as PvE goes, I personally think we're a little too spread out.  This doesn't mean all the servers should be condensed to just one, as that would be too drastic and would severely limit those who enjoy the hermit life or a nice stroll through nature unabated by roads and abandoned deeds.  

Huge changes are too drastic, unnecessary, and extremely risk averse.  Think of it like a rubber band--you can stretch the limits and change the overall shape and expect everything to come back together again in one piece, but if you stretch it too far all at once it snaps and never returns to form.

While I like the idea of bringing people together there is a group who is not represented in this poll; those who are so recluse they don't even use the forums. There are lots of players who like playing  wurm single player and I fear that we would lose those players completely (those who have not already left for WU) if we forced them to come together.

1 minute ago, ownerpure5 said:

Yeah let's pretend wurm is still active.

From what I can tell it still is active.  No pretending here mate.

This is already happening in some places, a ton of players that were in a alliance I was in on xanadu have now moved to pristine.

I don't think any servers on freedom need to be closed.

The Intention of this thread for me was to find out if there are enough players to try to reactivate one server als a more populated one. There are some player that leaved xanadu for older servers, we have this on Independence alliance too. Some just moved back to Indy. But thats it, some to here some to there... we stay pretty spreaded. :-)

Edited by Sirene

51 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

I see absolutely no need to close all the servers whatsoever.  I don't think we need as many as we have, but we certainly need more than just one.  We currently have 7 servers for PvE and 5 for PvP.  In my opinion we would do well to have only 5 PvE servers, and 1 or 2 PvP servers.  PvP is something that could use a reduction until it sees some healthy changes and a following resurgence of population that would allow for slow expansion.  As far as PvE goes, I personally think we're a little too spread out.  This doesn't mean all the servers should be condensed to just one, as that would be too drastic and would severely limit those who enjoy the hermit life or a nice stroll through nature unabated by roads and abandoned deeds.  

Huge changes are too drastic, unnecessary, and extremely risk averse.  Think of it like a rubber band--you can stretch the limits and change the overall shape and expect everything to come back together again in one piece, but if you stretch it too far all at once it snaps and never returns to form.

We debated that man, in that scenario what servers are you closing ?  Then the ones who have to move are super pissed and just quit all together, and the ones that don't have to move  are happy and just go about there business and stay where they are. 

It's a slippery slope that's why in the end we concluded to just remove all and give out compensation.  But it was all just us talking on mumble to pass the time, not like any of this is going to happen.

No one really would like to have server closed. Of course that would make people leaving WO.

chaos is a fairly private server, just some rabble to the north, other wise the place is great

In my explanation I forgot to add the part where I say that I don't believe closing servers would go over very well unless a majority of the population on said servers agreed to it, and I mean a majority of in-game votes on those servers.  This will likely never happen, but who knows what the future will hold.  I was just explaining that drastic closings are not the way to go. :)