Sign in to follow this  
Darmalus

Nutrition Overhaul Concept

Nutrition Overhaul

Thirst bar: 100 “sips”
Hunger bar: 100 “bites”

Nutrition bar: from 0 to 100,000

Nutrition

Nutrition is gained from eating food and drinking liquids more nutritious than plain water. Nutrition is drained slowly by being alive (idle) and quickly by performing actions. When an action is completed, you receive a skill gain bonus based on your nutrition level when the action was completed.

There is no penalty for having zero nutrition, other than lost chance for improved skill gain.

Nutrition Bonus Ranges

+0% 0 to 4,999 Nutrition

+1% 5,000 to 14,999 Nutrition

+2% 15,000 to 24,999 Nutrition

+3% 25,000 to 34,999 Nutrition

+4% 35,000 to 44,999 Nutrition

+5% 45,000+ Nutrition

Bonus: 50,000+ Nutrition

Remember that a hunger bar is 100 bites, so divide those numbers by 100 to get the food quality required to reach it. For example, the +1 bonus could be reach by eating a full hunger bar worth of 10 QL hot stew with 2 ingredients, easily in reach of a new player.

Food, Nutrition per QL. (N/QL) per bite.

Raw food: 1 N/QL

Stew: 2 N/QL plus 1 N/QL per ingredient (up to five).

Range: 4 N/QL to 7 N/QL

Casserole: 3 N/QL plus 1 N/QL per ingredient (up to five).

Range: 5 N/QL to 8 N/QL

Meal: 4 N/QL plus 1 N/QL per ingredient (up to five).

Range: 6 N/QL to 9 N/QL

Hot Food: +1 N/QL

Drinks, Nutrition per QL. (N/QL) per sip.

Water: 0 N/QL

Milk: 0.1 N/QL
Milk comes fresh from the cow at 100 QL currently, hence the low N/QL for balance. If Milk QL was related to Milking skill then it could be boosted to match raw food at 1 N/QL.

Juices: 1 N/QL

Lemonade: 2 N/QL

Tea, Wine: 3 N/QL

Bonus Food

Above 50,000 nutrition a player gains the ability to benefit from food that gives more than just nutrition. These foods would give small buffs that improve in potency the higher one is over the 50,000 nutrition point and always give 10 N/QL. When a player drops below the 50,000 nutrition mark the buff is immediately lost and must be regained normally.

To gain this buff a player would need to be past the 50,000 nutrition mark then eat 10 bites worth of the bonus food. Bonus food would require high levels of the appropriate cooking skill to learn to cook and there could be multiple versions of the same food at higher difficulties. The buffs would be small but noticeable.

Examples (probably not balanced).
Oatmeal Cookies
Skill: Baking 50

Buff: Run speed buff (+1% at 50k, +2% at 100k)

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Skill: Baking 70

Buff: Run speed buff (+2% at 50k, +4% at 100k)

Oatmeal Raisin Deluxe Cookies
Skill: Baking 90

Buff: Run speed buff (+3% at 50k, +6% at 100k)

Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 1

I really hate the current food system. This would be a huge improvement, but needs additional categories for gulash, soup, porridge and risotto. :D I would love to see cake as a buff food. The beverages improvement would be HUGE. 

• Like 2

Adding benefits for hard difficulty foods would be nice, but I vote NO on restructuring the way nutrition works.  I like nutrition the way it is.

Where would abilities such as the PoL refresh and PoI fill come into this?

Would they just act as they currently do or would they be nerfed?

14 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Where would abilities such as the PoL refresh and PoI fill come into this?

Would they just act as they currently do or would they be nerfed?

A possibility is "Set Nutrition to 50k or +10k nutrition, whichever has the greater result." and fill the hunger and thirst bars. This gives the +5% bonus they currently enjoy plus puts them on the edge of buff food, or over it if they already have substantial nutrition score. If anything it would increase their utility in edge cases where you have limited play time (burn less than 10k nutrition) for several days and you keep using them on schedule.

14 hours ago, Darmalus said:

A possibility is "Set Nutrition to 50k or +10k nutrition, whichever has the greater result." and fill the hunger and thirst bars. This gives the +5% bonus they currently enjoy plus puts them on the edge of buff food, or over it if they already have substantial nutrition score. If anything it would increase their utility in edge cases where you have limited play time (burn less than 10k nutrition) for several days and you keep using them on schedule.

Well then +1 from me since I live on my meditation refresh!

Good to know I can satisfy all my nutritional requirements by being constantly drunk off my ass.