Sign in to follow this  
joojoo1975

6 months since Wurm unlimited. . . thoughts?

10 hours ago, Aetherion said:

tbh WU has some nice things, but then its just broken. maps that show you caves, 24hr cooldowns that can be bypassed with a mod, allowing Final Breath (i think it's called) to use an attack in pve over and over. I would much rather play on a quick WO run server, even faster than epic and actually has an end game. (which they don't have)

Final Breath being spammed like that was actually a side effect of how quickly meditation levels could be increased. After level 15 or 20 the questions were just a simple yes/no and yes was always the right answer. As meditation level became higher the cooldown for each Final Breath became lower. Same thing will happen in WO if people ever reach level 50+ of meditation. The question times are so long in WO that it's unlikely to be an issue for a long time. Of course this problem was also fixed in WU with an updated mod that corrected the problem.

I agree with you about the end game. It's something that really could make Wurm better if it existed.

24 minutes ago, Nappy said:

Final Breath being spammed like that was actually a side effect of how quickly meditation levels could be increased. After level 15 or 20 the questions were just a simple yes/no and yes was always the right answer. As meditation level became higher the cooldown for each Final Breath became lower. Same thing will happen in WO if people ever reach level 50+ of meditation. The question times are so long in WO that it's unlikely to be an issue for a long time. Of course this problem was also fixed in WU with an updated mod that corrected the problem.

I agree with you about the end game. It's something that really could make Wurm better if it existed.

on nappy's server i went to 127th eidolon and tried to level up again and it reset my med and i lost all my abilities and was unable to advance any more unless i left path and rejoined

signed byte overflow op

• Like 1

Most of my Wurm time is now spent on several WU open-to-the-public servers. These servers all have larger populations than the WO smaller servers, so for those that wish more social interaction there is plenty available on them. I can also think of 3-4 additional WU servers that have player populations close to the WO smaller ones. Also remember that these WU server numbers are not jacked up by simultaneous alt "players" as the WO ones are, so the *real people playing the game is almost accurate there.

Wurm Unlimited is a good alternative for those who enjoy playing within the Wurm sandbox and like to accomplish anything much faster there according to the server they choose. There is then a lot of diversity offered in this respect in comparison to WO's every server functions in the same manner (excluding pvp/epic), which in turn provides a broader appeal to various individual players.

I am not too sure why a new player of Wurm would choose WO over WU because of the more diverse options it (WU) offers to basically play the same game. There is still all the social interaction for those so inclined, with some servers being more welcoming that others of course. Then there is the substantial reduction in cost for playing WU, which encourages some to turn to it as well.

There probably is some residual effect in it attracting players to at least give Wurm Online a try, since the advertisement for Wurm Unlimited is now better tied into WO as a reference. I still play WO a bit but find much more satisfaction in playing the WU version of it. If I were starting out as a new player I doubt I would even step foot within WO though, as it would just seem a much more time consuming and dull timer waiting version of the former. There is always the *curiosity* factor but you know what that did to the Cat.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
spelink!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ayes said:

Most of my Wurm time is now spent on several WU open-to-the-public servers. These servers all have larger populations than the WO smaller servers, so for those that wish more social interaction there is plenty available on them. I can also think of 3-4 additional WU servers that have payer populations close to the WO smaller ones. Also remember that these WU server numbers are not jacked up by simultaneous alt "players" as the WO ones are, so the *real people playing the game is almost accurate there.

Wurm Unlimited is a good alternative for those who enjoy playing within the Wurm sandbox and like to accomplish anything much faster there according to the server they choose. There is then a lot of diversity offered in this respect in comparison to WO's every server functions in the same manner (excluding pvp/epic), which in turn provides a broader appeal to various individual players.

I am not too sure why a new player of Wurm would choose WO over WU because of the more diverse options it (WU) offers to basically play the same game. There is still all the social interaction for those so inclined, with some servers being more welcoming that others of course. Then there is the substantial reduction in cost for playing WU, which encourages some to turn to it as well.

There probably is some residual effect in it attracting players to at least give Wurm Online a try, since the advertisement for Wurm Unlimited is now better tied into WO as a reference. I still play WO a bit but find much more satisfaction in playing the WU version of it. If I were starting out as a new player I doubt I would even step foot within WO though, as it would just seem a much more time consuming and dull timer waiting version of the former. There is always the *curiosity* factor but you know what that did to the Cat.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

A big factor that a lot of people cite as their reason for leaving WU to come to WO is official servers.  Many people feel more safe with official servers as the odds of them being shut down at any given moment is extremely rare-bordering on never-going-to-happen.  The reason this appeal is proven worthy is due to the fact that many private WU servers have already closed randomly, whereas that has never happened in Wurm Online.  Security means a lot for those who want to dump hours into a crafting game, and WO offers that better than any WU server--tried and true.

Edited by Slickshot

WU, for me, is purely a testbed, a personal alternative to the test servers, where I can play with absolutely everything Wurm has to offer, and several things you actually cannot find in WO at all, (How many WO servers have valrei creature spawners, for instance), Of course this is my reason for having spent the money on WU, everyone else will have others.

However I spend far more time on WO, and have played on every single server bar one, since the days of Independence and Wild at least, when there were only two servers in Wurm to choose from as a new player.

I absolutely love new WO servers, I simply cannot resist playing on them for a time, the length of that period depends on how much I enjoy the new server, and how long it takes before the wilderness becomes tame and to an extent urbanised, (do any Exodus players remember the 'pact' to keep the server as free as possible from roads, and to try and preserve the wilderness feel?). 

I don't think Xanadu contributed much to the decline in player numbers really, nor does WU deserve all the blame either, they were factors, but not actually the major ones everyone seems to be making of them, nor were they responsible for the decline of the PvP poulation either, the signs of that decline were there well before we even heard of Xanadu, or Unlimited, the prolems with Epic and Chaos have an entirely different, and far more complex set of issues facing them, one of which is stagnation, an inevitable result when almost everyone is top tier and the market is glutted with top tier gear and weapons, there's little to fight over, and little to gain after a certain point, and that point has been reached, and passed in the case of Epic, and probably Chaos too, though Chaos has further complications due to some odd differences in kingdom mechanics and setting, never mind the almost complete domination by MR, (that's not a dig, just a fact).

Xanadu and WU are just scapegoats, easy to blame for a perceived decline that has so many other reasons and factors that there is actually no single cause whatsoever, like the ingame economy, suffering as it does from oversupply and falling prices has ceased to be attractive to some people, other reasons may include other game releases, which can temporarily, or more permenantly affect populations on games, as loyalties shift between an old favourite to a new one, or completely different reasons that have nothing to do with Wurm at all, but other real world issues, ageing hardware unable to keep up with the changes to Wurm code, but unable to be replaced or upgraded easily, 

What I've generally seen is people correlating a decline in numbers with absolutely no actual evidence other than timing, I've no doubt whatsoever tht WU has caused some to play that instead, but the numbers of players on the WU server list don't suggest it really, the sales numbers may, but those are not an accurate reflection of player retention on WU as opposed to WO, since not everyone who bought WU is a WO player who left for WU, I certainly didn't, I may have played less WO for a bit, maybe a month or so, but never actually left WO, which provides me with many aspects of Wurm that I cannot really get from the generally low population WU servers, and that's the ever shifting ever entertaining and provocative Wurm community, and people who played WO for long enough simply are not ever going to be satisfied with WU at that level.

Wurm has had lower population than it has now, much lower, when I joined Wurm Independence had 2-300 or so, Wild maybe 20-50 or less on a regular basis, and those were the only servers in WO other than GV, with it's small population of old die-hards.

Point is, fragmentation isn't the major issue some see it as, if anything more servers have historically boosted WO's population, rather than causing a decline, if we look at individual servers in isolation there may appear to be a population issue, but overall, the population is still higher than when we only had 2 servers to choose from. Would I like to see more people playing Wurm, of course I would, but blaming the observed decline on one thing or another doesn't really get to the root of the problem, because the root of the problem is nebulous and complex, and has many more causes than the rather simple views of 'omg WU killed WO, or Xanadu killed WO, or PvP killed WO', etc, etc.

How do we fix the problems that Wurm may be having? Certainly not with the constant negativity and nit-picking over decisions made by CC over their game, instead perhaps we should try to find some positivity, personally, I love Wurm, If I didn't I'd simply leave, and not drag on for weeks or months in the game and forums looking for someone else to blame for me no longer finding it satisfying anymore, I'm smart enough, and adult enough to blame my own feelings on myself, rather than scapegoating my disaffection on others.

Why can't we just simply play the game, enjoy what we do and stop worrying if this is the end of Wurm, since it's been the endo of Wurm as we know it more times than I care to mention, yet (some) of us are still here...

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Alexgopen said:

on nappy's server i went to 127th eidolon and tried to level up again and it reset my med and i lost all my abilities and was unable to advance any more unless i left path and rejoined

signed byte overflow op

Hmm... You most likely had -128 meditation level... Fix for this bug will look funny in WO changelog. :D

• Like 1

I love both WU and WO, I don't like limiting my fun. The people that think WU is a tool and not a game are delusional.  WU is just as much a game as WO, and both are a lot of fun. Life is too short to be stuck in one way of thinking for too long. If you want to have fun, stray from the doctrine. I choose both!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BuddyDude said:

I love both WU and WO, I don't like limiting my fun. The people that think WU is a tool and not a game are delusional.  WU is just as much a game as WO, and both are a lot of fun. Life is too short to be stuck in one way of thinking for too long. If you want to have fun, stray from the doctrine. I choose both!

I don't think it's delusional.  When I think of what WU is compared to WO, and I prefer WO hands-down, then WU doesn't feel like a game to me the same way WO feels like a game.  Thus to me WU is a tool, and not a game.  This is a personal feeling, but has nothing to do with delusion, just with perspective and preference.

Well, Wu was released wrong, Plain and simple. It should have been the bait to pull people into the live servers. Instead it was thrown out there like minecrap, And treated as a quick play game. Which any real Wurmian will tell you is impossible.

With that being said, It's also not too late to fix the mistake. Wo needs new blood, And Wu needs to advertise Wo anywhere possible. 

The overall effect of the Wu release was exactly as i expected. We can all see the numbers, But more so, Take a boat ride down the coast if you really want to see the devastation to Wo.  Now we need them to learn from their mistakes, And begin to move forward with the live servers again.  Wu will retain all the updates that the live servers get, So it's not like it's being abandoned.  However you cannot focus on Wu as the primary product, And expect the live servers to survive.  Because Wo has an actual economy to consider, Where Wu does not.

Anyway, I managed to say all that without ranting, Wheres my reward?

On 4/22/2016 at 9:38 AM, Alexgopen said:

signed byte overflow op

We fixed that problem too - grin

Here's a link to a post showing where a champion troll was killed in 1 sec using spammed final breath prior to the fix being implemented.

http://wurm-desolation.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=57

Edited by Nappy

A big factor that a lot of people cite as their reason for leaving WU to come to WO is official servers.  Many people feel more safe with official servers as the odds of them being shut down at any given moment is extremely rare-bordering on never-going-to-happen.  The reason this appeal is proven worthy is due to the fact that many private WU servers have already closed randomly, whereas that has never happened in Wurm Online.  Security means a lot for those who want to dump hours into a crafting game, and WO offers that better than any WU server--tried and true.

I might be mistaken but weren't there servers named Wild, MR Home, Affliction v1, Elevation v1 in WO? Also an event known as Wurmeggedon. These type of things can and will happen anywhere. Xanadu's ongoing lag issue, the decision to join Pristine/Release to the main cluster, putting Chaos into Freedom and of course the sudden changes that cost people money. All of these things take away from player stability - doesn't mean they shouldn't happen wherever they happen.

One thing that I agree with you about is that an official server should have an advantage for people because it's an officially hosted server. Now if every WO officially hosted server showcased a different aspect of Wurm it could be a really cool opportunity to show people the many sides of the game. For example, a survival server, a trade server, PVP fast skill gain server, PVP slow grind server, open field only PVP, slow grin crafting, creative building server without the grind etc. Give each server a raison d'etre and let them showcase what Wurm can do rather then have everything more or less the same across the entire cluster.

• Like 1

On ‎22‎.‎04‎.‎2016 at 4:12 PM, Nappy said:

I wouldn't worry about that in WO.. considering the chance to get the question at higher levels, I doubt anyone will get 50+ meditation in their lifetime. :)

I fell in love with Wurm unlimited for 3 reasons

1. because I love to work with my hands, I build model cars, I do x stitches when my fingers allow it,  and it's cool enough like around 10-15c, although  I haven't touched either since finding WU lol

2. my first ever city building game was TTD, yes i'm just that old ( I didn't have my first pc till 97 or so, and I was 27) I love city builders, this is one reason why I love WU so much, I can take a piece of land and terraform it to suit my needs completely, as i'm doing at the moment

3. I love the crafting aspect of the game, Im not particularly fond of games that you just "build it and they will come" i'm a big fan of anno, but after the last release,.. not so much

there are a variety of reasons why I love to play WU, and do so a lot, I have around 800 hours up on this game, and I have been playing for around 2 months, I am not married (i'm sure I would be divorced by now if I was haha).
this game has everything I love in a game, there are days it frustrates the arse out of me, but I still continue to play, it. If there was 2 things that definitely need to be fixed for me, it's WALLS, that go all the way to the roof, and having buildings that you have curve shapes, not all squared, and lastly, FFS PLEASE GET RID OF THOSE ANNOYING DUCK SOUNDS, there are no ducks anywhere that I've seen.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 1:28 AM, Nappy said:

One thing that I agree with you about is that an official server should have an advantage for people because it's an officially hosted server. Now if every WO officially hosted server showcased a different aspect of Wurm it could be a really cool opportunity to show people the many sides of the game. For example, a survival server, a trade server, PVP fast skill gain server, PVP slow grind server, open field only PVP, slow grin crafting, creative building server without the grind etc. Give each server a raison d'etre and let them showcase what Wurm can do rather then have everything more or less the same across the entire cluster.

This would I think be a great attraction for Wurm Online to implement, that being various servers that function differently. Then players that don't want to say deal with any aggressive mobs at all could choose a WO server without any on it. Others might choose a very fast skill gain and action timers but in this instance they probably should not be able to move their characters to any other server.

The main idea you have brought up is to offer WO players more diverse choices of play styles, which in turn would attract more players. This is really what Wurm Unlimited offers and although WO would offer this at a higher price, the long term stability of Wurm Online might just tip the balance of players choosing to play it under these various server designs.

=Ayes=

Been curious if any WU servers have added anything... besides faster skillgain and the like.

On 21/04/2016 at 7:11 PM, enoofu said:

Personally a lot of the problems of WO were caused by Xana since it still has lag and spawning problems, and the long sail times made it hard on a lot of people.

Plus the added problem of no new recent skill trees, Bridges disappearing, poorly implementation of player gods, and the Devs being to quiet added to the plight

This. It's a great map/server but I think Xanadu's release was managed poorly (sorry Rolf) and probably should have been reserved until bridges were ready for release. It would have been the perfect map for such a new feature.

But IMO it seemed more like a cashgrab by hyping a giant landrush. It got a lot of people excited (including me) but at the end of it, there wasn't really much to keep people there. The travel times were sooooo long, which is something that bridges may have helped reduce.

Then other issues that people have been hammering home months/years before Xanadu's release, such as boat mechanics needing a rework to improve wind mechanics, boat speeds and making their quality actually mean something besides decay rate. IMO this is another thing that would have helped reduce Xanadu's travel times.

What really nailed WO in the chest is Wurm Unlmited. Quite a few of us saw what was coming as soon as Rolf announced it last October (I wasn't one of them. Oops? <_<).

Every since, it's release WO has been bleeding players at an insane rate, losing another 200 in the last month alone. http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/paying.html

Had WU promoted WO in some way, such as including 30 days of free premium for WO with every WU purchase, the situation might be better by drawing more attention to WO.

To make it worse, the sacrifice seems to be in vein. WU is also losing its player base: http://steamcharts.com/app/366220

It was only ever going to be a gimmick (albeit a fun one). You can't really force an MMO into a self-hosting multiplayer game when all of the game mechanics were designed around MMO gameplay/features. To me it seemed like another pure cash-grab, and I apologize to Rolf if that sounds harsh, but really, why wasn't WO put on steam instead?

WO created a long-term stream of profit (and still does for now, despite becoming smaller every day). WU cannot since people only need to pay/buy it once.

I hope WO recovers, but it isn't looking pretty at this point.

Edited by syncaidius

For the individual player Wurm Unlimited has been and will be a good thing. It enables them to continue to play the same game, just on a more accelerated basis. This means that if Wurm proper ever goes down the tubes WU will still be there for those that enjoy the game. I still find nothing close to Wurm in terms of sustainable satisfaction from this type of sandbox environment. Those who click with this game have that attachment and those who don't, so what, since in terms of Wurm they are insignificant, nor will they ever be.

Rolf has plodded along since the game's inception with little advertisement focused upon. WU on Steam was the first real massive advertisement of the game and any more permanent players that are drawn in from it will be more of the same type who prefer to leave some lasting effects upon these environments that they shape.

Wurm Unlimited will be a great legacy to leave behind, which can be molded, shaped and improved upon by those who create their own servers for others to enjoy playing upon. In this way it seems to me to actually promote a more enduring future than the original, which depends upon only one individuals interest and determination to sustain it.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I disagree with all the complaints on Xanadu being "too big, travel times too long". Exactly what kind of game do you all THINK you're playing? FedEx Online?Walmart Online? Wall Street Online? Amway Online???

Some of you that are complaining are taking the game option of participating in Trade and taking it to absurd extremes that just don't fit with Rolf's vision for Wurm. Some of you spam out dozens and dozens of items just to get a few rares to sell, you spam kchat and gchat with "WTS" when there's a Trade Channel you should be using, You over produce everything and max every item out for enchants and then run around every and any server trying to make silvers... just to sell for gold so you make real life money... and then you wonder why there aren't enough Players in the game to buy all your stuff... and while your fretting and stewing about "how bad the economy is" you're complaining because Sailing "takes too long" or "Xanadu is too big, I can't make it to my next sale as quick as I could in [insert game here] and I'm losing money"....

and you wonder why you're not happy with how Rolf made Xanadu? Xanadu wasn't made for that. You're not happy with Xanadu because you're not playing the whole game quite frankly.

Xanadu was made for SPACE to grow, for Players to hunt and explore and SETTLE by the planting of deeds so Rolf and CodeClub make make some money themselves, NOT just so Players could make money. Wurm doesn't just exist for the benefit of Players that see Wurm as a real life business. Of course Xanadu was a Land Rush cash grab, why is that a bad thing? Oh I get it.... it's bad from the point of view of Players trying to make money hoping their Player customers will spend their money on them and not with Rolf. Aren't WE the Community minded bunch... part of being Community minded in an Online game is caring about the Dev who host it in the first place.

I have said for years now that allowing Players to make real life money from this or any other game is a bad idea.... There's nothing wrong with Rolf's idea that Players should be able to make money in a game, I actually agree with Rolf on that from an Idealistic standpoint, but in practice Players often go too far in their extremes in any game and then Players say their "expectations aren't being met". Adding making real life money to a game just guarantees some Players will go to extremes on that part.

And you wonder why Wurm or Xanadu server, or ANY new server or feature, doesn't satisfy your expectations? Your expectations don't match the purpose of the Game or in this case the Server. No Developer can meet the expectations of Players that see only dollar signs in a game.

You're asking Rolf to make a multiplayer game tailor made just for YOU the merchants. Forget the player customers or even Rolf himself... that makes no sense at all.

Edited by geode
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, geode said:

Of course Xanadu was a Land Rush cash grab, why is that a bad thing? Oh I get it.... it's bad from the point of view of Players trying to make money hoping their Player customers will spend their money on them and not with Rolf. Aren't WE the Community minded bunch... part of being Community minded in an Online game is caring about the Dev who host it in the first place.

There is one reason Xanadu land-rush was a bad thing. One very big reason. Wurm has already had way too many land-rushes, each one spreading the population thinner and thinner. The current spread is about as thing as paper right now. You can say what you like about community mindedness, but it doesn't last long unless people are forced to work as a community, which is how Wurm was around 3 - 4 years ago, when all we had was Independence, Deli and Chaos. Instead of milking each other for coins, people had to help provide for the new people, give them somewhere to live until they could find a spot to build.

I understand people still do that to some degree, but it's nothing like it was when people were less spread out.

Anyone who has played over the past 5+ years will know that the community part of Wurm was (and maybe still is in some parts of Freedom/Epic/Chaos) half of the gameplay. Getting to know your 'neighbours' and helping them out with various projects. Last time I was playing (before the huge drop in player count), PVE seemed more territorial than it did 3 - 5 years ago. Anywhere you moved in, people started interrogating you on your plans to see if you mess with their plans for an area, even if you were way out of local range.  People would ###### and complain if you cut too many trees, killed too many mobs, opened too many mines, planted too much of 1 thing. Sure this happened 5+ years ago, but nowhere near as much has it does over the last year or so, despite having even more space than ever before. If that is community mindedness, I'll eat my hat (maybe several of them!).

40 minutes ago, geode said:

Some of you that are complaining are taking the game option of participating in Trade and taking it to absurd extremes that just don't fit with Rolf's vision for Wurm. Some of you spam out dozens and dozens of items just to get a few rares to sell, you spam kchat and gchat with "WTS" when there's a Trade Channel you should be using, You over produce everything and max every item out for enchants and then run around every and any server trying to make silvers... just to sell for gold so you make real life money... and then you wonder why there aren't enough Players in the game to buy all your stuff... and while your fretting and stewing about "how bad the economy is" you're complaining because Sailing "takes too long" or "Xanadu is too big, I can't make it to my next sale as quick as I could in [insert game here] and I'm losing money"....

You're asking Rolf to make a multiplayer game tailor made just for YOU the merchants. Forget the player customers or even Rolf himself... that makes no sense at all.

Lastly, while agree caring about the dev making the game is pretty serious, this also works the other way around. Part of the reason people milk the system for coins (and even real money as you say in your post), is because Wurm allows them to. It's up to the dev to fix that loophole. I've always agreed that its bad for the game. When something as critical as this (the game economy) has been neglected for almost 10 years, its hard not to see why some people are inclined to think Rolf doesn't care. We know he does, but to some, it doesn't appear that way.

Traders should have been dumped years ago, but they've stayed because people like them for the sole purpose of milking money off them. There is no real reason other than that. Special items could have been moved to merchants via a kind of sales permit system (another idea that's been constantly tossed out over the years). And while I'll most likely get flamed for this, I don't think Rolf should be allowing people to sell in-game money for real money themselves. This eats into the Rolf's own profits on the shop. But at the same time, how would he enforce such a rule?

As for trading via sailing, I don't think that's the problem. Its more along the lines of how many hours a day some people have to play vs how long it takes them to sail across a massive map. More so when the wind system gets stuck in a crappy direction for real days at a time and it takes you over a week of 1 - 2hr sessions to get to your destination. I've never had an issue with this, but many have. Many have also quit over it, and a search of the forums would show that. Anyone who has sailed across Xanadu multiple times will have seen plenty of abandoned boats just sitting in the middle of the ocean for months on end. Personally I've never seen so many in one server in my entire time playing Wurm, when it should be a rarer sight on such a huge server.

Its easy to say "we'll good for them" or "they didn't have what it takes" but that's the kind of attitude that almost killed the game back in 2009 when the same tone was used about the majority of players that quit when their safe heaven was suddenly made raidable. "They were weak/newbs", "they never PVP'd anyway" and so on. It's worth thinking about. ;)

Edited by syncaidius

I think that there are a lot of people in WO who have a totally wrong opinion of WU. I admit that there are a ton of lesser, private servers where it is basically coders free for all just for messing around with the game. As well as questionable servers like Mythmoor which seem to be trying to make money from playerbase with P2W situation. However, the majority of WU players are on Wyvern which is just as much a serious and reliable server as any of the WO servers. In fact, as someone who had played WO for years, I think WU is a far better version of the game. x5 timers and x3 skill gain eliminates the slow paced dullness of Wurm, but it's not quite Minecraft as it still takes a long time and a lot of effort to complete a big project but the difference is that you can actually manage to finish it in WU without blowing your brains out half way through.

In terms of population, I believe Wyvern is 2nd only to Xanadu. Given that, I don't really see why a new player for instance would chose to start paying monthly instead of just joining the WU side. It's understand that older players would want to stick with their developed characters though.

In general Syncaidius it seems to we agree on more than disagree... but one point we disagree on I will address.

I do not believe having too many servers is why there is less Community involvement than there was years ago. Instead I think there is something else that's diminishing community activities and players working together more and that is the Players themselves. When I first started playing Wurm in 2008 I was eager to join a village and help out, I enjoyed it and so too did other players from what they said, and we had a blast. There were a few Players that tried to take undo advantage of others but Wurm community was smaller than and personal reputations mattered plus there was far fewer character sales then so when I talked to Magic or Felthanne for instance I KNEW I was talking to them and not someone who bought the character. It made sense for players to keep themselves in check and not treat others badly.

Fast forward to now. Too many people that use the internet and play online games have learned to forget any proper socially acceptable standards of behavior and the percentage of players out to screw over others and know they can get away with it has increased significantly and is quite noticeable. After a while players who desire community involvement often will get tired of playing with players that use and abuse others ingame and eventually they will be inclined to find a quit place and become a hermit in Wurm or quit the game entirely... often by selling the character. I can't trust that the character Gaffeek or Emoo or Shamank is actually owned by the same Player I knew years ago because of the non ending character sales. Can't keep up with it. Add to that Wurm's reputation of being game that allows thieves and greifers to go unpunished, or protected, and the more community minded Players of years past getting sick and tired of Staff letting the brigands run the place and they quit and never return.... and Wurm was due to become what it became. I wouldn't dream of joining a village or an alliance with other Players now.

With the way society is allowing, or can't stop, or don't care to stop, so many people being total flaming buttheads on the internet and especially in online gaming the "community" we need and desire is a casualty in all multiplayer games. Reducing the numbers of Servers won't fix that, it will only make the problem worse, as it will push people together more and the flaming buttheads will shine like Sol.... but we already know they have nothing to fear from the rules here in Wurm.

People are the problem now. It's a sizable portion of the Players themselves that are to blame because they fail to make the choice to treat others with the care and respect we mostly treated each other with years ago. How we treated each others years ago made communities work, in contrast how we collectively treat each other now is what kills community.

A very wise friend of mine years ago taught me a very valuable lesson and I never forgot it, because the price of the lesson was the loss of a friendship.... "Trust is everything, without trust there is nothing". My friend was right. There has been a loss of trust between People who play online games and that is reflected perfectly in Wurm right now.

Edited by geode
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, geode said:

With the way society is allowing, or can't stop, or don't care to stop, so many people being total flaming buttheads on the internet and especially in online gaming the "community" we need and desire is a casualty in all multiplayer games. Reducing the numbers of Servers won't fix that, it will only make the problem worse, as it will push people together more and the flaming buttheads will shine like Sol.... but we already know they have nothing to fear from the rules here in Wurm.

People are the problem now. It's a sizable portion of the Players themselves that are to blame because they fail to make the choice to treat others with the care and respect we mostly treated each other with years ago. How we treated each others years ago made communities work, in contrast how we collectively treat each other now is what kills community.

I couldn't agree more with this statement, and reducing the number of servers now would be stupid, since it'd be the equivilent of (hundreds of) hours of work by players. IMO the damage has already been done by spreading people out. But I think part of the issue was that people don't have to be friendly anymore since they had pretty much the entire area to themselves, and if anyone tries to move in they can just tell them to go elsewhere since there's "plenty of space". More so now that almost 3000 players have left over the past 8 months.

But, at this point, it's the attitude of some players towards others that drive away new players. I know there are still quite a few decent players in Wurm, they're just drowned out by the less-friendly/territorial ones.

Edited by syncaidius
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2016 at 1:42 PM, Klaa said:

Been curious if any WU servers have added anything... besides faster skillgain and the like.

I'm running a PVE server with HotS as it's only kingdom. That's already something you won't ever see on WO.

I've tweaked and rebalanced many different aspects of the game, not just skill gain or timers. Stuff like walking speed, weight limits, vehicles, mounts, spells, crate sizes, deed costs etc.

I also added a bunch of stuff, some made by myself, some from mods made by others. A very limited list:

• Animals can be hitched to boats for easier transport.
  • Craftable spyglasses. Also planning to make most NPC goods craftable at some point.
  • Working treasure chest system for PVE servers (also used as source of karma, since i don't have missions)
  • Digging into the cargo of carts (mounted or dragged), ships and crates and using dirt from them for leveling
  • Bag of holding spell, for embigenning containers :P
  • Bounties for killing monsters (because we don't have a cash shop, and having traiders as the only faucet is not good)

And i have hundreds of other ideas i'd like to add at some point. If only i didn't have to work a 45hr/w coding job for a living...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, syncaidius said:

More so now that almost 3000 players have left over the past 8 months.

This is a misinterpretation of the word "players" in respect to graphs about player count. Until WU I always kept 3 premium guys and a number of deeds for each one. Now I only carry 1 premium guy and 1 deed. Sure this is a loss of game income but it is not a loss of 2 "players". Alts let go by others as well have always skewed these player count graphs and make them very unreliable in terms of any accurate numbers to refer to on this basis.

=Ayes=

3 minutes ago, Ayes said:

This is a misinterpretation of the word "players" in respect to graphs about player count. Until WU I always kept 3 premium guys and a number of deeds for each one. Now I only carry 1 premium guy and 1 deed. Sure this is a loss of game income but it is not a loss of 2 "players". Alts let go by others as well have always skewed these player count graphs and make them very unreliable in terms of any accurate numbers to refer to on this basis.

=Ayes=

I actually meant premiums accounts. Sorry. :)

The graph is for premium player accounts. But considering how low the player count has dipped (and how consistent that dip has remained) on the servers over the last 8 months, I think its safe to say quite a few players have gone since November last year.

Edited by syncaidius