Sign in to follow this  
Lostone

Decay!?!

Trying to figure out how decay works now a days.

I have been reading the WIKI and it seems vague to me , it gives a a formula on decay but not on what it works , deed none deed.

Thing is i have bunch of carts and ships on and off deed left over by old owners and players who left them behind.

Now i have my carts and ships also.

Say all items are 25 QL cherry , some are on deed in village others in perimeter and some land of Wurm.

I find that my items take decay/damage yet the abandoned stuff is not taking any , and players have not been on from 6 months to 2 years.

No one is repairing them , some have damage from not much , but in pass month none of other players items have taken any more damage.

Was there not a patch added that if said owner has not been on in so many days or months , stuff should decay?

I deeded a piece of land had buildings wood and stone 45 ql , it was at 50 damage , i perimetered over them for faster decay , it took over 3 weeks for them to demolish.

I am wondering if decay is working properly towards ships and large carts on and off deed?

Thanks for any replys..

Hi Lostone, 

I did some digging on the Wurmpedia and was not able to find the page you mentioned that has the equation on it. If you could link me to that page I would be really curious as to what page it is. However, I went right to this page and found it pretty detailed.  

On the flip side, if I remember correctly off deed (in the lands of Wurm and not in perimeter) decay was shrunk just a bit. It also depends on what type of item you are waiting to decay. Boats take a very long time to decay. Also, the on deed items (houses, tools, etc.) that you are waiting for won't decay because they are on deed (possession of the items isn't factored in). 

Take a look at the information on the article I linked to you above and if you could link me to the article you were reading that would be great.

I hope that helps, 

Zachariah :) 

Edited by Zachariah
Fixed typo

Thats the link i seen also.

The items are ships and large carts.

Taking 500 days for a 40 ql ship row boat to hit 50 damage is crazy..

Thats last time the owner loged on.

Hey Lostone, 

Can you answer another question for me. Are the ships in the perimeter of you deed and or on it it? If so you can issue a ticket to have a GM move it for you. 

As far as I know there have been no specific numbers released in terms of decay rates within the game. It has only been mentioned in a broader manner, which leaves room for various adjustments to be made or unintended fluxuations to occur without needing to account for their swings, other than attempting to resolve them when time allows.

In practical terms if you actually *want items to decay the best you can do is move them in some manner into an enclosed area off of deed tiles (meaning perimeter tiles or the free land of Wurm tiles) where no one else can enter to repair the items. If you *don't want them to decay move them onto deed tiles and then check them on occasion to see which types of items will also decay on deed tiles anyway, then keep these types of items repaired.

If you want to build fixed items such as houses and fencing types off of deed tiles always build them to the highest quality as possible, since although the decay tick percentages on these items may be the same regardless of quality, the higher quality will in effect make them last longer.

Yes, also to extend or place perimeter over houses will increase the decay rate on them but there are no specifics available in terms of numbers per hour, day or week. Something else to consider is that if a player does not log onto the game on that server for around 45 days (exact time unknown), that the decay rate on these houses will have a further increase (rate of increase unknown).

Other than this decay rates trying to be accurately quantified by players is all purely subjective and speculation, more tuned in trying to make some point of their own than anything else. Only the god of Wurm knows these things and perhaps some staff that he has confidence in keeping these unknowns unknown to us lowly subjects within his domain. Even then I believe that he is still surprised at times when decay suddenly becomes a wild thing beyond his control to keep in check and the poor Wurmanites pay the price for it in terms of the excessive repairs needed as a result.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

The ships are in village and perimeter .

As for the gods  , aka Lord Rolf , he may not even know.  haha.

I will just leave them there and let them decay slowly over time and watch the stuff inside do the same. :(

Don;t think GM will move boats anymore unless they are in the way of deed expansions or building.  I could be wrong.

I don't know If I can help because decay is a big part of the game and complex to understand.

I will paint a story

Is the ship on grass or rock. Is that grass covered with wooded floor boards? are those floorboard made of cedar or birch? Is the boat made of cedar or birch. Are the floorboards covered with tar? You can see how this gets complicated quickly. On some servers you can destroy  the boat with a maul or catapult. Decay is huge and trying to understand it will take knowledge that I do no have.

Edited by lowborn