LorenaMontana

So whats gonna happen?

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Holar said:

 

 

 

 

Wurm Online at one point was just one big server. Crafters crafted for the fighters, fighters defended the crafters. It was a great balance and made the game much more interesting because everyone had weight to pull. Now Crafters sit on a server and mail everything over to fighters. If a one server idea was ever brought people would stroke out and start licking car batteries. Instead of Freedom clusters telling the PVP clusters to suck it up, how about you take a chance/change. This game is going to fizzle out and lose a huge portion of loyal and veteran players who follow this game like its a religion. It kills the game to be able to cross over to 9 other servers or whatever it is these days to start fresh, it doesn't give people incentive to stay and rebuild. "my village just got plundered, no worries there is a map with 50% of it still remaining unexplored and untouched I'll go there"

 

Darkfall is slowly shutting down the Uholy Wars servers and reverting back to their old style of game play and pvp systems. This is what the public wants and will get eventually. I think the Dev's and creator need to take a page from their book and rethink their strategy on moving forward before it honestly is to late. This is going to draw from the WO PVP population for sure, a good majority of the active PVPers came from DF or went there after it started up back in the day. R.I.P DED

 

 

Interesting, how Darkfalls old PvP systems are considered now as a "success"... Before Unholy Wars, it were the players, who were crying about that system, it were the players, who DEMANDED a change (Unholy Wars). The reasons were oh so similar to what people complain about in Wurm... Grind to get to be viable(SoTG in Wurm, stats etc), portals (Teleport in Wurm), etc..

The sad truth is, open world MMO PvP is dying breed. Partly because of what Dairuka has said several times, that it starts to eat itself sooner or later (in Darkfalls case remember Sun and their domination of Darkfall map).. and other part are the players. PvP-ers want MOBA style battle arenas, where they can log in, fight few rounds and then log out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, rixk said:

Interesting, how Darkfalls old PvP systems are considered now as a "success"... Before Unholy Wars, it were the players, who were crying about that system, it were the players, who DEMANDED a change (Unholy Wars). The reasons were oh so similar to what people complain about in Wurm... Grind to get to be viable(SoTG in Wurm, stats etc), portals (Teleport in Wurm), etc..

The sad truth is, open world MMO PvP is dying breed. Partly because of what Dairuka has said several times, that it starts to eat itself sooner or later (in Darkfalls case remember Sun and their domination of Darkfall map).. and other part are the players. PvP-ers want MOBA style battle arenas, where they can log in, fight few rounds and then log out.

Just about every MMO has PVP enabled or PVP servers

Darkfall was a fun game, its problems had to do with Cheating since a lot of the game is Client based, and a few abilities and spells that weren't balanced which broke the game(Certain Playstyles didn't work well).

Usually when people talk about PVP Centric Games its Usually DAOC or EVE which a lot of people still love today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eve online got stale a few years ago, where huge power blocks divided all space between them and only had "content wars"  with each other that basically mean you fight in fleets but don't attack each other infrastructure. that kept PVP' ers happy for a bit but the population started dwindling, the biggest group in eve at that time was the CFC, now called the Imperium, at its peak a coalition of over 40000 players. they were the Mafia of eve online racketeering the rest of eve until they went to far and pissed of enough people that everyone bonded together and destroyed them. This happened very recently.

My point of this is, if the bigger power groups in FFA MMORPG games do not create content for their players by letting other group evolve to sizes that fighting them is actually fun content, you are killing your own game by " winning" 

 

The home servers on epic are popular same reason chaos has 1 giant power block. there are more people that enjoy living in hostile areas then people actually enjoying the active hunt to fight. the fear of getting attacked, having to watch your back, plan and build insane defence structures, i think, is more enjoyable then going out to hunt.

Epic has home servers. on Chaos MR is the home server.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2016 at 4:30 PM, Propheteer said:

 

The previously stable hardcore population doesn't quit because of the loss of work, they quit because of game-breaking bugs/mechanics that take 3-4 years to get fixed and/or balanced.

 

Eventually you hit a point where you're sick and tired of losing everything on you because you glitched out and the world wouldn't load, or you're tired of waiting years for something to get balanced so you decide to abuse it anyway and then you're still mad because it still exists.

 

Most FFA PvP games are successful, the ones that aren't usually aren't due to the population but due to a failure of the developers to understand what's needed and a failure to reliably produce content and balance patches, (ex. Aventurine)

Darkfall is a perfect example of having 1500 solid hardcore fanboys and still the devs were unable to understand that they had failed only because of lack of updates and balance or just simply it was to late when they even tried. Darkfall unholywars will most likely follow same path as they have lacked to balance and make changes again untill it was to late.

 

Wurm has followed the same exact path but what i think wurm has ontop of games like darkfall is that wurm actually has a lot of content that can be appealing if they actually make the right changes to the game and most importantly BALANACE the pvp aspect of wurm.

 

ROLF/Devs be truthful to yourselves for a moment... Its understandable sometimes to think you might not what to make changes because a few outspoken actives....

 

You know ive started to write something that i wont bother finishing. Bottom line some player's might need let be pissed off while some players might like a change. Make changes that being back players and attract more... No one wants to hear this but Epic needs to be merged with freedom end of story, figure out how the best way that can happen. Incorporate the missions for freedomers. Keep the epic home servers and remove elevation (it has the most complaints of the epic servers anyway) make chaos the elevation of the map and bring back home servers to the freedom cluster (epics).

 

Start with a merge and continue with real balanced updates. Use challenge server foe GODS sakes and keep scenarios running till you have more changes to add.. Stop using the crap test server. Start players on challenge with decently high skills decent armor a bunch of material so testing can be easy. No rewards its for test purposes. Add in many changes asked for by players and see which ones work and which ones dont.

 

Stop WAITING! I seriously dont want to see another Darkfall... Sooo much potential with wurm online yet you just cant grasp it because YOU are in your own way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PvP servers dont really function properly without players, I would be very happy to see epic and chaos merged to 1 server. Chaos has been due a restart since like 10 years ago lol, its crazy how that server is still going. Every bit of land is used up and all the accounts are insanely statted, I remember a few years back someone made this huge list of temporary exploits that have existed to benefit old accounts that no longer exist. Can't even restart those characters because it is merged with other servers now but the map itself could really benefit from a reset, I don't think even the diehard vets on that server would mind map reset,

 

http://maps.mvcomputing.co.uk/Chaos/ just look at this thing, it looks like the entire map has been sectioned off and terraformed into oblivion. I can name the vast majority of those villages and I havent even logged into that server in about 5 years.

Edited by MightySheep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm going to milk the "i told you so" with the merge comments for as long as i browse these forums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes I try to love Maurizio but there is no room.  The port is filled with his ships.  oh the Amnesia and self aggrandizing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2016 at 10:32 PM, Chansbi said:

That won't help.  When you have double the skillgain on Epic and transfer to Freedom, then there are going to be complaints about "Well, why don't we get 2x skillgain." and all this crazy crap.  Don't remove Epic, I enjoy it and I would hate to see these memories go to crap, just like that.

 

I hear ya, but I also remember tons of Home Server (i.e. JKH) memories going poof - just like that.  How about Challenge memories?  That didn't even last long enough to have memories, lol. My suggestion isn't without precedence.  

Hey, why not just dump Epic and give Chaos a brand new map - fresh start for every PVP player.  We've all felt what a reset feels like.  It's not that bad, really.  It might just breathe new life into the PVP world.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to just assume that people who play Wurm are hoarders IRL.

 

Just bite the bullet and wipe the entire game and start over from scratch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Pinchaloaf said:

I'm going to just assume that people who play Wurm are hoarders IRL.

 

Just bite the bullet and wipe the entire game and start over from scratch.

<<< Not a hoarder.  Bad assumption. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pinchaloaf said:

I'm going to just assume that people who play Wurm are hoarders IRL.

 

Just bite the bullet and wipe the entire game and start over from scratch.

 

Well, when it's trash that you've paid for, you're not gonna want to let the experts at "Hoarders: Buried Alive"  come and throw it all away just because it might make your house less of a toxic environment. Maybe at this point it's better just to condemn it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't have to merge nothing, you don't have to kill off epic servers. What you need is new content and fixes to grab new and old players attention. Doing anything else as suggested just encourages more people to leave. it is a simple concept.

Edited by demondan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Jibberish said:

 

Well, when it's trash that you've paid for, you're not gonna want to let the experts at "Hoarders: Buried Alive"  come and throw it all away just because it might make your house less of a toxic environment. Maybe at this point it's better just to condemn it.

I'll have you know the hot dog wrappers from when Liz Taylor and I ate at Pinks in 1994 have value..I won't throw those out.  I"m also keeping my habitrail hamster run...wurm server hamster may need it too, the droppings have since dried and can be flecked off and it be like new again.

Edited by Bloodscythe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tfw one of the most relevant post removed for some vulgarity. kek.

 

game is dead. people who said no to the merge killed it. get over it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is nothing you can do to increase the games pop other then advertising.

 

Wurm is a very niche game, and people who are leaving are doing it because of boredom, and its been known that the Wurm team has no plans on hiring professional GM's and DEV's who are impartial and will look to improve things.

 

Therefor we will stay in the same rotation, new players will come, some will get fed up in tutorial, some might stay. Those that do stay get killed as mentioned above because the current game mechanics in PVP aren't that good. To make things worse the Wurm team doesn't listen to the people who have been playing for years and know what is messed up in the game.

 

simple game mechanics like moving through unlocked doors/minehops resetting combat will keep pvp boring because few people die unless they get stuck in something.

 

I could list loads of changes that would make the game better, but there is no point tbh because the Wurm team has their own plans/agenda and nothing anyone says will have any impact on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TradingAlt said:

There is nothing you can do to increase the games pop other then advertising.

 

Wurm is a very niche game, and people who are leaving are doing it because of boredom, and its been known that the Wurm team has no plans on hiring professional GM's and DEV's who are impartial and will look to improve things.

 

Therefor we will stay in the same rotation, new players will come, some will get fed up in tutorial, some might stay. Those that do stay get killed as mentioned above because the current game mechanics in PVP aren't that good. To make things worse the Wurm team doesn't listen to the people who have been playing for years and know what is messed up in the game.

 

simple game mechanics like moving through unlocked doors/minehops resetting combat will keep pvp boring because few people die unless they get stuck in something.

 

I could list loads of changes that would make the game better, but there is no point tbh because the Wurm team has their own plans/agenda and nothing anyone says will have any impact on it.

 

what if you couldnt pass doors while in combat

OR

in real combat you'd surely get cut down if you turned your back on your opponent to go open a door or a hatch to a cave. maybe give all your opponents a free hit on you if you pass a door while in combat, such as:

[12:35:43] Fairplayer seizes the opportunity and hits you as you go to open the door!

[12:35:43] Fairplayer mauls you deadly hard in the back and harms you!

 

Option 1 removes the possibility of gatehopping entirely, option 2 turns it into a gamble with death

Edited by Alexgopen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a great option really is combining servers.

 

However it is important to remember the allow the player to choose which cluster they want in the transfer, some people have accounts on both!

 

The only people saying no to the merge stand to lose something, be it more economic competition, or pvp. I am sick of players playing the "lobbyist on the forums" more than the game itself. Epic is dead you guys stop being selfish.

Edited by FranktheTank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Banzai said:

tfw one of the most relevant post removed for some vulgarity. kek.

 

game is dead. people who said no to the merge killed it. get over it. 

If you managed to only get those posts removed without a warning point consider me amazed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Slickshot said:

If you managed to only get those posts removed without a warning point consider me amazed.

 

You'd be amazed at what I get away with on these forums. If I was just a simple troll who wanted this game to die for no other reason than to meme, then I suspect I would have had twice as many forum accounts banned. However, that still doesn't make up for the typical fascists tactics employed around here.

 

And trust me, if you think that this game loses any playing value simply because the stuff you made in game goes poof, then you have hoarder personality traits.

 

One more thing, any of you puds out there that want to say you didn't have the time of your Wurm lives when Epic opened and every account was noob and the world was untouched, you are only lying to yourselves. (of course this is meant strictly for those that started on Epic that first month)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the term selfish keeps being thrown at people against merging

 

uh i might be uncertain here, but wanting to delete content/dictate how other people should play for your own amusement until you quit again (as usual for most saying this) is the very definition of selfish

 

it makes a whole lot more sense to me to focus on fixing bugs, balancing gameplay, overhauls, new unique content that actually stays unique and not slapped onto freedom like the rest of the "unique" content, basically things to keep players coming back permanently without forcing away players, rather than doing huge improper bandaids that run players away to draw in players for weeks/months at a time like resets or merges

 

lets be honest here.  we need players, not consolidation.  not justifying having enough people for one server, rather figure out how to grow the game so all servers are full again like they used to be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

the term selfish keeps being thrown at people against merging

 

uh i might be uncertain here, but wanting to delete content/dictate how other people should play for your own amusement until you quit again (as usual for most saying this) is the very definition of selfish

 

it makes a whole lot more sense to me to focus on fixing bugs, balancing gameplay, overhauls, new unique content that actually stays unique and not slapped onto freedom like the rest of the "unique" content, basically things to keep players coming back permanently without forcing away players, rather than doing huge improper bandaids that run players away to draw in players for weeks/months at a time like resets or merges

 

lets be honest here.  we need players, not consolidation.  not justifying having enough people for one server, rather figure out how to grow the game so all servers are full again like they used to be

 

dont be silly gary

 

we're being selfish for not wanting our accounts to get deleted so the people who already sold their accounts and quit can come back and have some fun

 

after all, why should we have all the fun? it's not like it was their choice to sell their accounts and leave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Alexgopen said:

 

what if you couldnt pass doors while in combat

OR

in real combat you'd surely get cut down if you turned your back on your opponent to go open a door or a hatch to a cave. maybe give all your opponents a free hit on you if you pass a door while in combat, such as:

[12:35:43] Fairplayer seizes the opportunity and hits you as you go to open the door!

[12:35:43] Fairplayer mauls you deadly hard in the back and harms you!

 

Option 1 removes the possibility of gatehopping entirely, option 2 turns it into a gamble with death

or you know they could just make it so an unlocked door acts non existant, meaning that it doesn't interrupt combat, and you can stay in combat on both sides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now