Sign in to follow this  
sandokhan

Wintertime is discriminated

I'm a winter hater. I like spring. Summer is okay. 

No more winter.  It's hard to see paths, roads.  I just don't travel in winter and have been known to force my self offline to get the bugged spring. 

2 hours ago, Ohana said:

I'm a winter hater. I like spring. Summer is okay. 

No more winter.  It's hard to see paths, roads.  I just don't travel in winter and have been known to force my self offline to get the bugged spring. 

Unfortunately many people enjoy winter and not some of the other seasons.  Wouldn't be fair to them to gimp is like it is.  It should be evened out a little bit to be fair to those who love it the most.

11 hours ago, Slickshot said:

You do realize that those other season aren't technically gorgeous either right?  You just prefer them more, so you choose to believe the graphical standards in them are MUCH higher.  Simply isn't true.  There are simply different templates for the different seasons, and winter happens to be the one you like the least.  In fact, out of the 4 seasons, one of them was guaranteed to be your least favorite, it just happened to be winter and not fall, spring, or summer. :)  This doesn't mean those who love winter should have to deal with their least favorite season (whatever it may be for them), for more weeks that never seem to end.  Worth looking at the other side of the coin mate. ;)

Who said anything about graphics?   I was talking about textures(And to some degree the brightness), as people have already mentioned at least a half dozen times in this thread. None of the other seasons complete change how a tile looks. None of the other seasons require you to snuff your lantern during the day.  All the other seasons actually look like a season, winter just looks like everything got painted white. And not just white like the white used on house walls, like the white they use on reflective road signs x10.     As I said, I'd like winter in game a lot more if just a little effort was put into making it look better.(Also some degree of freezing near the shoreline would be really neat).
I never said you should have to have your favourite season shorter, I said your favourite season should get a texture update so more people like it(Or at least less people hate it).

Speaking from experience I never have to snuff my lantern or have any issues during winter that other people complain about.  That isn't to say it doesn't happen to them, but it sure doesn't seem to bother me any.  This is why I like it.  Just a difference of opinion and taste is all.

i have to turn bloom off during winter otherwise i get severe headaches from how bright it is. Otherwise its ok i guess

I also prefer winter short - keeping things the way they are now is fine for me.

Winter Is Coming

Also more winter in Wurm. Granted it needs work like sparkly and make temperature impact gameplay.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

why don't you guys always use the always perfect weather kit?

Its boring.

So, about the complainers in here....are you saying Rolf's expression of the winter sux?

I got a feeling that many of the replies (including staffmembers) are only here for setting a tone...

Again, the winter is to short compared with other seasons...even without looking into the presentation.

20 minutes ago, sandokhan said:

So, about the complainers in here....are you saying Rolf's expression of the winter sux?

I got a feeling that many of the replies (including staffmembers) are only here for setting a tone...

Again, the winter is to short compared with other seasons...even without looking into the presentation.

+1 mate

welcome to the wurm forums, where everyone but those who quietly play and enjoy it, come to soil their underwear

1 hour ago, Marlon said:

+1 mate

welcome to the wurm forums, where everyone but those who quietly play and enjoy it, come to soil their underwear

You calling me a pants-pooper?

On 4/19/2016 at 11:00 AM, Propheteer said:

I have a 144hz monitor, so its already more gray and less vibrant. I use reduced DV on everything outside of CS, i don't play with bloom, and my brightness isn't that high, yet when its winter i cannot make out any tile differences and its utterly blinding.

When it is winter, i relog spam to bug out the textures so i don't see them, it is that bad.

killing the process of a vpn you're connected to seems to work better

usually gets rid of the snow first try

Designing for Dummies:

1. Extend Winter.
  2. Give players the option to turn off winter effects, instead loading fall effects.

• Like 2

Sorry for bring up this thread again, but about a year ago my old laptop I was having trouble with the snow causing severe lag. I able to go into the wurms system folders and turn off the snow layer, I don't remember the exact way I did it, but there is a solution for those of you that hate the snow that much. 

Later I might resurrect that laptop long for long enough to figure out how I did that.

Edited by ResistantHen

On 4/19/2016 at 5:24 AM, sandokhan said:

Last wintertime was realy realy short.

There are enough people that love the wintertime. Why do we get an unequal part in changes of seasons? Probably because the whiners that don't like the wintertime, cried realy hard in the past.
Why do they hate wintertime so much? I can bring up 2 main reasons:

1. Because they live in a country with a long period of snow and ice and they can't wait to see it end.
  2. Certain people don't adjust graphical settings like 'render bloom (glow)' or brilliance settings on their monitor.

I can't help those people that live in countries with long winterperiods. But the 2nd one is just and adjustment everyone can do it by themselfs.

I just want to ask Rolf to give those people who love the wintertime a fair share. Not a ridiculous short winter of 5/6 days but for example 10 days.

Btw, i don't like autum for the "poop-colours" but i don't ask to make it shorter. :P

I would only support a longer winter if I am given the option to "clear the snow", but more importantly.  Winter is nothing but graphical, so who really cares.  it strains my eyes with all the white that I cannot remove AT ALL.

So while I'm in favor of meaningful seasons; I cannot support longer winters just because you want to see more white.

Toggling winter on:

I can understand wanting to toggle winter off, since it becomes more difficult to distinguish tiles without contrast. On the other hand, would it be acceptable (during the rest of the year) to toggle winter on? Visibility of the landscape's topography increases drastically without rendering tree foliage. If we had the ability to toggle winter on, then that might as well be toggling trees off.

Winter provides a greater advantage to range of sight than the disadvantage to clarity. 

On 4/19/2016 at 7:24 AM, sandokhan said:

Last wintertime was realy realy short.

There are enough people that love the wintertime. Why do we get an unequal part in changes of seasons? Probably because the whiners that don't like the wintertime, cried realy hard in the past.
Why do they hate wintertime so much? I can bring up 2 main reasons:

1. Because they live in a country with a long period of snow and ice and they can't wait to see it end.
  2. Certain people don't adjust graphical settings like 'render bloom (glow)' or brilliance settings on their monitor.

I can't help those people that live in countries with long winterperiods. But the 2nd one is just and adjustment everyone can do it by themselfs.

I just want to ask Rolf to give those people who love the wintertime a fair share. Not a ridiculous short winter of 5/6 days but for example 10 days.

Btw, i don't like autum for the "poop-colours" but i don't ask to make it shorter. :P

Discriminated?  You're discriminating against my summer. Grrrr. :P