Sign in to follow this  
sandokhan

Wintertime is discriminated

*realizing after rereading my comment that I was being rude and asinine. I apologize to the OP* 

However, I still do stand by my opinion that winter sucks. 

Edited by Zachariah

10 minutes ago, Zachariah said:

Saying that people are complaining that winter is to long because they live in countries that have long winters full of snow and ice is  pretty asinine ignorant comment to make. Not to derail this thread or anything but I am simply just stating my opinion which is what the Suggestions board is about. 

But the reason I think that it is asinine and ignorant is because I live in a country were winter is 105 degrees and sunny all the time, however, I hate winter so much in game. I find winter to be absolutely honorific and ugly. I find all the other season to be beautiful because I love color. The dull white colors everywhere you look make me feel sad and depressed. I know someone that doesn't even play in winter at all because it makes him to depressed. 

My second point is that you really just want winter to be longer so you can reap the benefits of the hunting. No other reason but it is easier to see the mobs. You know what I say to that?.... get some glasses. 

So no I do not want winter to be longer than it already is and frankly I think winter should be shorter or be gone with in general. It is a horrible season. 

If you mean "you" as in a general sense, then no.  Sure some enjoy it for hunting.  I speak for myself when I say that I enjoy the difference it brings in landscape and visuals.  I love the "dead" tree graphics, and the glow it gives off from sunlight and lantern light.  I love the crisp cleanness to it, allowing you to see for great distances clearly.  I love the snowflakes that drift slowly to the earth, especially at night.  I like the snow-swept dustiness of floorboards.  These are the reasons I love winter, and I'm sure others can attest to the same feelings.  No need for you to be rude and prescribe glasses to folks out of spite who might disagree with your hatred of winter.  We love it, and you don't have to.

I suppose the real advice I could give to counter the "get some glasses" sentiment would be:  if you don't like the graphics of winter, take off your glasses.

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zachariah said:

Saying that people are complaining that winter is to long because they live in countries that have long winters full of snow and ice is  pretty asinine ignorant comment to make. Not to derail this thread or anything but I am simply just stating my opinion which is what the Suggestions board is about. 

But the reason I think that it is asinine and ignorant is because I live in a country were winter is 105 degrees and sunny all the time, however, I hate winter so much in game. I find winter to be absolutely honorific and ugly. I find all the other season to be beautiful because I love color. The dull white colors everywhere you look make me feel sad and depressed. I know someone that doesn't even play in winter at all because it makes him to depressed. 

My second point is that you really just want winter to be longer so you can reap the benefits of the hunting. No other reason but it is easier to see the mobs. You know what I say to that?.... get some glasses. 

So no I do not want winter to be longer than it already is and frankly I think winter should be shorter or be gone with in general. It is a horrible season. 

A lot of complaints re: winter that were just that. People live in cold countries and don't like winter. Their opinion isn't asinine, nor is the opposite.

I live in the somewhat cold and snowy northeast US and I like the winter (and spring) textures the best, regardless of benefits to hunting or whatever. I like the glow of my deed lights on the snow and the stark look of the trees. 

You live in a place that is 105 in the winter (Where IS this hot land? How hot is it in the summer?) and don't like winter. That's fine as well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marlon said:

I would like a longer winter ONLY if the immersion of it is adjusted.

Everything is too bright, and too bland, bumpy areas become flat (sure this happens with real snow... but...) and the texture is like #fff flood paste.

I think it needs a more matte feel, a more distributed sense of ambience and to be affected by light direction/shadow/scatter more. It's too hard, and glowy.

Then winter can be a little longer :)

But is is just like that in real life, isn't it?  Winter isn't soft, it's cold and hard and beautiful and makes everything look smooth.  I like it in Wurm, but IRL that's why I moved to the tropics. *laughing*  Still love Wurm winters, but the brightness during the day does hurt my eyes.  I agree daytime snow brightness needs to be tempered.

to prevent any discussions on how the length of one season favors some people over others, please make all four seasons equal in length

then we all like whatever we like and cannot complain that we are discriminated (well anyone can complain even after the change, but no generally true arguments can be used at that point to change it to an uneven distribution again)

thank you

• Like 1

I have to say, my least favourite season is actually summer.  Spring and autumn both rock!  An even split for the seasons seems reasonable, though it would mean shuffling some of the "in season" counters around.

don't really like winter in this game as it changes nothing.

if winter killed crops, increased predator roaming, and made track skill gains 10times faster.  then I would like it, but I'm guessing that most would cry havoc if that happened

18 minutes ago, Thorakkanath said:

to prevent any discussions on how the length of one season favors some people over others, please make all four seasons equal in length

then we all like whatever we like and cannot complain that we are discriminated (well anyone can complain even after the change, but no generally true arguments can be used at that point to change it to an uneven distribution again)

thank you

A reasonable argument to sweeps aside the sentiments of a player like myself.

+1

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sandokhan said:

Because they live in a country with a long period of snow and ice and they can't wait to see it end.

This;

Snowed here a few days ago, winter not done yet!

Edited by JakeRivers

6 hours ago, Yaga said:

I'm not going to join the discussion whether I like Wurm winter or not :), but want to point out that Wurm seasons intentionally have different lengths - and they always had. Summer is the longest (about 3 real weeks), Winter always has been the shortest season (about 5 real days), as can be seen in this image (taken from WurmClock):

cxhmr0u.png

(Blue = Winter, Green = Spring, Yellow = Summer, Red = Autumn). 

See also: Wurm Calendar.

But what i have understand is that the winter was longer ages ago. And i heared also that it's been shorten a peoples request. At least 1 time. 
This time im asking, in favor of all the people that love the winter; add some more days please...

• Like 2

Reason #3: Winter is ugly!

I would much prefer it always be summer time within Wurm and guess what, it could be too if there was the ability to set the seasons permanently or have them rotate around as usual. This type of system is the only way to remove seasonal discrimination within Wurm, which by the way I find as intolerable as you.

I can almost hear Pete Seeger singing now in protest: *To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven*

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
mistook

2 hours ago, Ayes said:

Reason #3: Winter is ugly!

I would much prefer it always be summer time within Wurm and guess what, it could be too if there was the ability to set the seasons permanently or have them rotate around as usual. This type of system is the only way to remove seasonal discrimination within Wurm, which by the way I find as intolerable as you.

I can almost hear Pete Seeger singing now in protest: *To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven*

=Ayes=

I have to disagree with you strongly. Removing winter would be a significant downgrade in the quality of Wurm. Fall and Spring are already nearly identical to summer, so what we have amounts to 43 weeks of summer and a 5 week winter. Winter is already so short you blink and you miss it.

It'd be nice if different servers had different weather patterns. Give one server eternal summer and let another have a nice long (6 month) winter and another 3 months of each season.

• Like 2

I hate winter on Wurm but I wish there could be a setting where the person saw whatever season they wanted to see, for those who like to look at it.

Snow isn't a constant white out in most places in real life. I've played games where the snow looks amazing even in white out conditions (Assassin's Creed 3), Wurm snow is just plain and white like a coat of paint. I'm glad it's a short season.

Winter in game is ugly, plain and simple.  It's half assed at best.   I wouldn't mind a winter time more equal to the other seasons if it actually looked liked winter and not just the depressing black and white landscape it is now.
Also, should be noted that the white out conditions that some people face in RL are actually linked to lower happiness(Even depression in some cases).   This might be why some of us who stare at a black and white landscape for 4-5 months of the year HATE Wurm winter.  It's an even worse version of what we have to put up with :)

• Like 1

If the brightness was toned down, the textures changed to make it easier to see the difference between tile types and the snow removed from my house floors I'd not HATE it but I still wouldn't like it.

I have yet to see anyone say " I don't even want to log in during the summer" but I have seen a lot of people say that about the winter.

I don't really care for the fall textures either but they aren't as bad as the winter ones. The long distance grass one is the worst.

If it ends up being balanced out in length just add an option selection to another season, winter people are happy, summer people are happy.

Well,I'm from Lappland, I lived with snow more than 6 months a year, and I agree that winter can be dull and dark and black and white, but on a sunny day nothing beats winter.

If you find the winter to bright, turn of your lantern or turrn down the light on your screen!

Edited by Cecci

8 hours ago, Greyfox said:

Winter in game is ugly, plain and simple.  It's half assed at best.   I wouldn't mind a winter time more equal to the other seasons if it actually looked liked winter and not just the depressing black and white landscape it is now.
Also, should be noted that the white out conditions that some people face in RL are actually linked to lower happiness(Even depression in some cases).   This might be why some of us who stare at a black and white landscape for 4-5 months of the year HATE Wurm winter.  It's an even worse version of what we have to put up with :)

You do realize that those other season aren't technically gorgeous either right?  You just prefer them more, so you choose to believe the graphical standards in them are MUCH higher.  Simply isn't true.  There are simply different templates for the different seasons, and winter happens to be the one you like the least.  In fact, out of the 4 seasons, one of them was guaranteed to be your least favorite, it just happened to be winter and not fall, spring, or summer. :)  This doesn't mean those who love winter should have to deal with their least favorite season (whatever it may be for them), for more weeks that never seem to end.  Worth looking at the other side of the coin mate. ;)

• Like 1

sweden only had roughly 5 weeks of Winter this year. Even less in motala when Rolf lives.

So it should be lowered.

(ontopic: Winter is one of the worst things in wurm, absolutely blinding. making the map as if it were a giant desert)

33 minutes ago, Zazz said:

sweden only had roughly 5 weeks of Winter this year. Even less in motala when Rolf lives.

So it should be lowered.

(ontopic: Winter is one of the worst things in wurm, absolutely blinding. making the map as if it were a giant desert)

I seem to have none of the troubles you all mention.

1 hour ago, Slickshot said:

You do realize that those other season aren't technically gorgeous either right?  You just prefer them more, so you choose to believe the graphical standards in them are MUCH higher.  Simply isn't true.  There are simply different templates for the different seasons, and winter happens to be the one you like the least.  In fact, out of the 4 seasons, one of them was guaranteed to be your least favorite, it just happened to be winter and not fall, spring, or summer. :)  This doesn't mean those who love winter should have to deal with their least favorite season (whatever it may be for them), for more weeks that never seem to end.  Worth looking at the other side of the coin mate. ;)

Did you just decide the opinion of someone else? Of all the strange things you say that would have to be the most arrogant and presumptuous thing of all. If you don't like something that's your choice but to tell someone else what they don't like is too far lol. Some of us do happen to 'love' other seasons if you like it or not.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

Did you just decide the opinion of someone else? Of all the strange things you say that would have to be the most arrogant and presumptuous thing of all. If you don't like something that's your choice but to tell someone else what they don't like is too far lol. Some of us do happen to 'love' other seasons if you like it or not.

I think you're reading into it a little too much.  I'm not your enemy, so calm down mate.

Edited by Slickshot

The reason for this topic is in general not having a discussion about how many pros or cons the winterseason has.

But about the matter that a big part of the subscribers feel that's not fair how very few days are assigned to the winterseason.
And asking Rolfs attention to this again...

20 minutes ago, sandokhan said:

The reason for this topic is in general not having a discussion about how many pros or cons the winterseason has.

But about the matter that a big part of the subscribers feel that's not fair how very few days are assigned to the winterseason.
And asking Rolfs attention to this again...

It should get that attention.