Sign in to follow this  
sandokhan

Wintertime is discriminated

Last wintertime was realy realy short.

There are enough people that love the wintertime. Why do we get an unequal part in changes of seasons? Probably because the whiners that don't like the wintertime, cried realy hard in the past.
Why do they hate wintertime so much? I can bring up 2 main reasons:

1. Because they live in a country with a long period of snow and ice and they can't wait to see it end.
  2. Certain people don't adjust graphical settings like 'render bloom (glow)' or brilliance settings on their monitor.

I can't help those people that live in countries with long winterperiods. But the 2nd one is just and adjustment everyone can do it by themselfs.

I just want to ask Rolf to give those people who love the wintertime a fair share. Not a ridiculous short winter of 5/6 days but for example 10 days.

Btw, i don't like autum for the "poop-colours" but i don't ask to make it shorter. :P

• Like 8

I agree that winter should be longer.  Others love it as well.

• Like 1

I really do love the art style in winter. Really shows the harsher side of Wurm. +1 for me!:lol:

• Like 1

I dislike winter because it's just ugly, no matter the graphical settings. I like how colors during other seasons differ a lot and look vibrant. When it's winter, it's just white everywhere.

• Like 7

-1.. sadly it doesn't even give that winter feeling like you get in real life.. it is just bland..

Maybe it's my system and GPU, but I think winter is a very beautiful season and invokes strong memories of my winters in the north.  It is very realistic looking on high settings, the big flakes drifting down, the glisten of light on the snowfall, the way it drifts across the floors of the stables .. but most of all the beauty of big snowflakes cascading down and around me in the woods at night, reflected in lantern light .. I literally go out into the woods just to stand in it.  If it gets much more realistic, I'll feel the flakes on my tongue and the cold on my upturned face.  Winter just needs to be a week or two longer!

• Like 5

Winter is beautiful on my computer as well, and my favorite season. I would love winter to be returned to its previous length.

• Like 4

It's a rather odd assumption to make, I hate winter and I've never seen snow in my whole life...

its not just the awful white burn and everything looking horrible but it also throws out wilderness navigation when everything looks the same including trying to find mines that look like grass

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sandokhan said:

Btw, i don't like autum for the "poop-colours" but i don't ask to make it shorter. :P

I respectfully disagree on fall in Wurm - the colors are vibrant reds, oranges and golds.  Colors rarely seen in "poop" - except that one time my dog ate a bag of Skittles......

• Like 2

I am not 100% sure on this but i believe all the seasons are the same length. It is just that spring and summer are so much alike that it seems like it is longer when in fact it is the same 10 days as the rest of the seasons. (they are just back to back so we get more green time) 

-1  I am not a fan of winter or fall so i have to say no

Edit:  Well looking at the time page on the wiki i guess they are not all the same length as i had thought. I guess summer is quit long but i for one like it that way and until they give an option to choose what we want then i have to say -1 still. 

Edited by Kegan

I'm not going to join the discussion whether I like Wurm winter or not :), but want to point out that Wurm seasons intentionally have different lengths - and they always had. Summer is the longest (about 3 real weeks), Winter always has been the shortest season (about 5 real days), as can be seen in this image (taken from WurmClock):

cxhmr0u.png

(Blue = Winter, Green = Spring, Yellow = Summer, Red = Autumn). 

See also: Wurm Calendar.

Edited by Yaga
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sandokhan said:

Last wintertime was realy realy short.

There are enough people that love the wintertime. Why do we get an unequal part in changes of seasons? Probably because the whiners that don't like the wintertime, cried realy hard in the past.
Why do they hate wintertime so much? I can bring up 2 main reasons:

1. Because they live in a country with a long period of snow and ice and they can't wait to see it end.
  2. Certain people don't adjust graphical settings like 'render bloom (glow)' or brilliance settings on their monitor.

I can't help those people that live in countries with long winterperiods. But the 2nd one is just and adjustment everyone can do it by themselfs.

I just want to ask Rolf to give those people who love the wintertime a fair share. Not a ridiculous short winter of 5/6 days but for example 10 days.

I have a 144hz monitor, so its already more gray and less vibrant. I use reduced DV on everything outside of CS, i don't play with bloom, and my brightness isn't that high, yet when its winter i cannot make out any tile differences and its utterly blinding.

When it is winter, i relog spam to bug out the textures so i don't see them, it is that bad.

• Like 1

It should at least be equal in length to autumn and spring.

I would like a longer winter ONLY if the immersion of it is adjusted.

Everything is too bright, and too bland, bumpy areas become flat (sure this happens with real snow... but...) and the texture is like #fff flood paste.

I think it needs a more matte feel, a more distributed sense of ambience and to be affected by light direction/shadow/scatter more. It's too hard, and glowy.

Then winter can be a little longer :)

• Like 1

It looks like the actual change lately-ish was to Spring, sometime in 2013(from the wiki):

Revision as of 20:37, 6 October 2013
Spring (beginning in week 3 of the Diamond Starfall)-(17 weeks)
Summer (beginning in week 4 of the Bear Starfall)-(16 weeks)
Autumn (beginning in week 4 of the Raven Starfall)-(10 weeks)
Winter (beginning in week 2 of the Silent Starfall)-(5 weeks)

Currently:
Spring (beginning in week 3 of the Diamond Starfall)-(10 weeks)
Summer (beginning in week 1 of the Leaf Starfall)-(23 weeks)

Why don't we have an even split in seasons? 12/12/12/12?  I do remember winter seeming to last 7 or so days as well, but not according to the wiki. Maybe we need an improvement in winter graphics (less blaring white?), but I am on #teammorewinter always. 

• Like 1

Is it possible to have longer winters on some servers and shorter (or no) winters on other servers?

47 minutes ago, NeeNee said:

It looks like the actual change lately-ish was to Spring, sometime in 2013(from the wiki):

Revision as of 20:37, 6 October 2013
Spring (beginning in week 3 of the Diamond Starfall)-(17 weeks)
Summer (beginning in week 4 of the Bear Starfall)-(16 weeks)

Currently:
Spring (beginning in week 3 of the Diamond Starfall)-(10 weeks)
Summer (beginning in week 1 of the Leaf Starfall)-(23 weeks)

Why don't we have an even split in seasons? 12/12/12/12?  I do remember winter seeming to last 7 or so days as well, but not according to the wiki. Maybe we need an improvement in winter graphics (less blaring white?), but I am on #teammorewinter always. 

I'd even settle for a lopsided tilt if it wasn't as harsh to winter.  Something like:

Autumn - 8 weeks (or 9 weeks)

Winter - 8 weeks

Spring - 8 weeks (or 9 weeks)

Summer - 24 weeks (or 22 weeks)

Edited by Slickshot

I don't like winter in Wurm, (I can't stand winter in real life and if I could move south I would). I would rather see it gone from Wurm Online personally, but as this thread illustrates many do enjoy it and want to see it kept ingame so I will restrain my desire to ask to have it removed and instead simply ask it remain as it is.

Yaga's post about the Wurm calendar shows winter is not long at all, to me it seemed 3 times longer, but if it stays as is or lengthens by a day or two I am good with it, for the benefit of others.

Arvid's suggestion about making some servers have more winter days and some less on Wurm Online to me would actually be cool. We could move to the "climate" we prefer. A thought.

Edited by geode

Winter is my fav season in wurm: you can easily spot critters and dead bodies on the snow which makes hunting much more pleasant. Plus those winter trees textures (cherries, lavandas,..) are just beautiful. On the other hand I can understand the  winterhaters: the plain snow can seem dull compared to the summer greenies. 

Just now, Simyaci said:

make winter shorter

Nah.  Too short already.  Needs to be close to even with autumn and spring.  Discrimination is real.

• Like 1

Discrimination is wrong term, discrimination only affects Lifeforms. Unbalanced is a better word for this I think.

It's simply that Wurm's "islands" are not located upon it's "Tropic of Capricorn", rather they are south of it, or perhaps winter in Wurm (the world) is simply not as harsh as our world can be. It's arbitrary and probably set by Rolf for what he wanted.

Ask Rolf why the seasons are as they are in duration. Somebody here must have permission to contact him directly.

Edited by geode

2 minutes ago, geode said:

Discrimination is wrong term, discrimination only affects Lifeforms. Unbalanced is a better word for this I think.

It's simply that Wurm's "islands" are not located upon it's "Tropic of Capricorn", rather they are south of it, or perhaps winter in Wurm (the world) is simply not as harsh as our world can be. It's arbitrary and probably set by Rolf for what he wanted.

Ask Rolf why the seasons are as they are in duration. Somebody here must have permission to contact him directly. I sure don't.

Contacting him directly is easy.  Anyhow, I believe winter used to be longer.  Several very vocal players complained enough that it was shortened or "nerfed" so-to-speak.  Sad outcome for those who enjoy winter, but just don't comment much on the forums.

• Like 1