Sign in to follow this  
Darmalus

Inn Keeper NPC

Inn Keeper NPC

This NPC provides some 24/7 services which would be difficult or impossible to provide currently. Sold by Traders like personal merchants.

Dispense Items
The Inn Keeper can dispense items to a player at a set rate, allowing the price to be set low, or even free, without worry about a single player taking the entire stock.

Item Type: The inn keeper sorts items by type (meals, casseroles,  healing covers, cotton, etc.) and dispenses randomly from its stock of that type.
Price: Per Item.
Quantity: The number of items that can be taken per period per player, defaults to 1.
Frequency: How often the quantity of items can be taken per player. Minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 1 day.

Stable Your Mount
The innkeeper can safely stable your mount until you need it again for whatever price the Inn Keeper’s owner sets.
While riding your mount, wagon or cart you go up to the Inn Keeper and choose “Stable my Mount” and you and any passengers are dismounted as the mount is placed in limbo. There after only that Inn Keeper has the option of “Return my Mount”. Only one mount per player can be stabled.
To prevent mounts from being lost forever if the Inn Keeper is removed while the owner is away, the data should be stored on the player. If the Inn Keeper is removed, the mount simply reappears beside the player when next they log in.

Rumors

The Inn Keeper can remember and recite rumors. The Inn Keeper has a stock of "universal rumors" that relate game mechanics, lore, jokes or fun things from the staff.
Option: "Let me tell you a rumor." The Inn Keeper will remember one rumor per player, telling them a second rumor will make them forget the last one you told them.
Option: "Tell me a rumor." The Inn Keeper will recite a random rumor that it knows.

Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 11

Tavern wenches :ph34r:

Let owners set their own rumors too.

Merchants don't have food capacity to avoid people stockpiling cooked food with no decay, so something would be needed to counter such

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Klaa said:

Tavern wenches :ph34r:

Let owners set their own rumors too.

Merchants don't have food capacity to avoid people stockpiling cooked food with no decay, so something would be needed to counter such

I'd be down with it, they'd need an appearance distinct from Personal Merchants anyway to prevent confusion.

The owner gets to set 3 rumors, all others get 1 rumor?

How is this for an idea. The Inn Keeper acts like a special bulk food bin. All food gets averaged together and they hand out 1.0 weight meals/casseroles when asked. However, the Inn Keeper is like an old school bulk storage, so the meals are deleted at a set % per time period, but still have 0 damage or QL reduction.

10 hours ago, Darmalus said:

How is this for an idea. The Inn Keeper acts like a special bulk food bin. All food gets averaged together and they hand out 1.0 weight meals/casseroles when asked. However, the Inn Keeper is like an old school bulk storage, so the meals are deleted at a set % per time period, but still have 0 damage or QL reduction.

Why do the meals have to be deleted? If you're being nice enough to make meals for strangers, why do you need more work to counteract decay? I don't see why there has to be decay. Magic chests don't have decay, why can't these wonderful Inn Keepers have the power to keep things fresh?

The thing that needs to be programmed is the doling out. People will take everything if they can; the meals have to come out slow like how much you'd need in a day; cottons maybe a person could get five or so, in case they had low skill in healing and burned through a bunch before they got fixed up. There has to be Farmer's Salve also for poisoning. I'm wondering if the Inn Keeper could also broadcast a call for any available priests to come heal if the person is in bad shape.

• Like 1

Good point on the magic chests, I've never had one so I often forget about them.

I think the issue is balancing the need to not provide mass cooked food storage to the owner, the devs seem to want to prevent this, but also not hand out rotten food to travelers. Another option would be to simply have a very limited capacity, with the Inn Keeper sending a message to the owner when they run low/out of food. I don't think cotton, healing covers or salves would have this storage issue so could have a fairly significant capacity.

A doling out mechanic is in the OP.

merchants can hold 50 items. 50 - 90+ QL meals are not something easy to do. keeping a balance between amount we can store on a NPC bartender and the absence of decay should be enough to prevent too big abuse.

(If my maths are right, we can store 1600 meals in a LMC with backpacks > satchels, so easy to not do something as OP as those)

big +1

Why not make the decay rate whatever it would be in a larder or a barrel if it's drinks?  That way rather than having people pick food out of a larder, which seems weird, they can get it from the Innkeeper, which would make the game feel more real.  Also, the Innkeeper can sell the food as well, if that's what the deed-owner wants.  I don't see why we can't sell food, especially now with the new cooking system and the ability to be able to make foods others may not be able to make themselves.  

I don't know much about how all the decay works, but I love this idea. would make the public hotels and inns that are provided for newbies and travelers alike much more appealing and useful... +1 all the way.

food! give him ingredients and he does the work.
limitations would need to be applied, obviously.. but the recipe book is so massive.. im having a hard time with cooking. i haven't any patience for it.

anyway.
+1

+1 to the OP and + 1 to Steveleeb's suggestion.

Adding to Steveleeb's suggestion.  The innkeeper should have a short list of meals that he can provide.   For example a low quality casserole or stew that just fills the food bar & a High quality meal that also works on the nutrition bars.  The meals provided set by the inn owner and only those meals in the owner's recipe book.  The innkeeper has a small cupboard that holds the ingredients for say twenty meals that has to be restocked by the owner.  (Alternately, just let the innkeeper hold twenty meals.)  Water should be provided automatically with other drinks available for sale as provided by the owner.

Since there are so many obsessive people in this game that would likely bring their own food ingredients there should be an innkeeper's fire place (heats food only) that is available with internal cooking equipment that could be used by the traveler with their own ingredients.  The Innkeeper's fireplace would be like the merchants stall, be required to be built inside of a completed building with the Innkeeper placed inside the fireplace "stall".

And finally, in order to make inn's new player friendly, let the bar tender be like tokens, merchant's etc and be able to buy stuff from noobs to provide enough money to afford a night or a meal.

+1

This sounds like a great idea, but aslong as the food he is going to dispense isn't 100QL and all that, maybe some low-medium tiered food? 

I'm especially fond of the rumor idea, just a great little mechanic to add to a bit of "immersion", always been a fan of that and wish that Wurm would have more such things to make it come more to life.

22 hours ago, Grumpysmith said:

+1 to the OP and + 1 to Steveleeb's suggestion.

Adding to Steveleeb's suggestion.  The innkeeper should have a short list of meals that he can provide.   For example a low quality casserole or stew that just fills the food bar & a High quality meal that also works on the nutrition bars.  The meals provided set by the inn owner and only those meals in the owner's recipe book.  The innkeeper has a small cupboard that holds the ingredients for say twenty meals that has to be restocked by the owner.  (Alternately, just let the innkeeper hold twenty meals.)  Water should be provided automatically with other drinks available for sale as provided by the owner.

How about instead of the innkeeper making meals from ingredients, the innkeeper will supply you with meals that are stored in a larder on the same tile he's on. That way you still require the owner to cook, but you can dispense more easily. Water / beverages should be the same. Barrel or Barrel rack on the same tile & only allow him to serve unsealed barrels so he doesn't go haywire and just open & ruin everything.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, zethreal said:

How about instead of the innkeeper making meals from ingredients, the innkeeper will supply you with meals that are stored in a larder on the same tile he's on. That way you still require the owner to cook, but you can dispense more easily. Water / beverages should be the same. Barrel or Barrel rack on the same tile & only allow him to serve unsealed barrels so he doesn't go haywire and just open & ruin everything.

Another idea: a craftable Inn Keeper stand, made of a larder, some water barrels and a healing cover cabinet, etc., to which you then attach the Inn Keeper.

• Like 1