Sign in to follow this  
Fizziepop

confirmation box or event window note required, please

If the animals parents and grandparents affect the next generations inbreeding status, then the game keeps track of it all. There should be a confirmation box if you attempt to breed two animals that are related.

Like -- "These animals are related, and breeding them together would be inbreeding, which causes bad traits to appear more often. Are you sure you want to proceed?"

It would save so much work on the players end trying to keep track of who the grandparents are, and the work already seems to be done if it's taken into account when breeding.. It shouldn't be hard to add an extra message, somehow?

Even if it's just an event window message that you're doing it, that would work too.

Thank you

4 minutes ago, Fizziepop said:

If the animals parents and grandparents affect the next generations inbreeding status, then the game keeps track of it all. There should be a confirmation box if you attempt to breed two animals that are related.

Like -- "These animals are related, and breeding them together would be inbreeding, which causes bad traits to appear more often. Are you sure you want to proceed?"

It would save so much work on the players end trying to keep track of who the grandparents are, and the work already seems to be done if it's taken into account when breeding.. It shouldn't be hard to add an extra message, somehow?

Even if it's just an event window message that you're doing it, that would work too.

Thank you

or pay attenition o.O? Im gonna -1 this, we have so many tools for that: Examine, WA and people have their own system. I think if you don´t pay attention then the game should not hold your hand but instead let you do what you were doing even if it does not benefit you. Specially with current way the game is with sooo many broken things.

8 minutes ago, Wulfgarr said:

we have so many tools for that: Examine

Examine does not tell you grandparents. Were you paying attention? I did mention that.

If examine told me grandparents as well, That would work too. Happy to "pay attention" but if it's going to use something(grandparents) to roll against, and then not even tell you what(who) this something is, it seems a bit silly to withhold the information altogether.

Edited by Fizziepop

3 minutes ago, Fizziepop said:

Examine does not tell you grandparents. Were you paying attention? I did mention that.

i know people kill horses after a few generations as a dead parent did not show up in the past. And i can understand the grandparents problem, but i still think this is not a priority. Just my 2 cents.

I cannot agree more with Wulfgarr as there are many options to combat inbreeding. My suggestion is to download Wurm Assistant as it keep track of all that information for you and you just select a horse and it will find the best mate for it (highlighted in blue). It takes into account inbreeding as well so you have the best option for your horses. Plus side it also works for all animals that you would worry about inbreeding. Just make an entire other herd. Another plus side, you can also make as many herds as you want so say you want to keep track of a neighbor's set of horses. 

33 minutes ago, Zachariah said:

My suggestion is to download Wurm Assistant

Sure, I did that yesterday, and then couldn't log back into the game at all.

Seems a bit awkward to use another program to keep track of something that the game already keeps track of, and to add a message in the event window for example would be typing what -- one line of code?

edit:
Maybe I need to rephrase: If I need to make a decision about something in the game, the game should first provide me all the information I need to make that decision, right? It doesn't matter how, whether it's an event message, a confirmation box, or simply more information in the examine text - it all works, and is better than running in blind.

(Especially, for example, with a group of animals that you might have adopted from someone who gave them all to you before they left the game.)

I shouldn't need to use a secondary program to be able to play the game effectively.

Edited by Fizziepop

Grandparents are not taken into consideration.

Inbreeding is literally a check to see if two creatures have the same mother or father. Killing the mother or father does not prevent the inbreeding check as many have speculated.

The real fix needed is that you cannot see the mother or father's name after they have been killed as there's no way for the game to look up that data once they are gone. The IDs are still checked though. Inbreeding also isn't a huge factor - it's more noticed when you have horses that actually have bad traits. Inbreeding means those traits are more likely to be passed down than not.

As for pop up windows and other annoying gotcha's - that's not Wurm. We use those sparingly and only when a situation requires it. Mating brother and sister horses, that's not exactly a game-ending mistake. Adding a message to the event window is a possibility, but I also don't think it's entirely necessary. For 10 years, players have managed by keeping track of horses in different pens or by using third party tools that make the process easier. You don't need Wurm Assistant to play the game effectively, you can do it yourself with a little bit of ingenuity.

• Like 2

If grandparents aren't taken into consideration then we have all the tools we need with a simple examine. Problem mooted. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Keenan said:

The real fix needed is that you cannot see the mother or father's name after they have been killed as there's no way for the game to look up that data once they are gone. The IDs are still checked though. Inbreeding also isn't a huge factor - it's more noticed when you have horses that actually have bad traits. Inbreeding means those traits are more likely to be passed down than not.

Just quoting this out of minor spite toward all the people who told me I couldn't possibly have been right about this.