Sign in to follow this  
Polojordan

Untamed mounts attacked by PvE creatures

A few of us have recently seen horses being targeted by aggressive creatures while out hunting. These horses are not tamed, which a tamed horse is what would generally cause aggressive creatures to target them on PvE servers.

In the past 8 months i have not seen untamed horses targeted by aggressive creatures, but in the past week myself and a few other alliance member have seen this happen a few times. Have other players been experiencing this as well?

7 minutes ago, Polojordan said:

A few of us have recently seen horses being targeted by aggressive creatures while out hunting. These horses are not tamed, which a tamed horse is what would generally cause aggressive creatures to target them on PvE servers.

In the past 8 months i have not seen untamed horses targeted by aggressive creatures, but in the past week myself and a few other alliance member have seen this happen a few times. Have other players been experiencing this as well?

If the creep is Starving they have a chance to attack also non aggressive animals. And they actually kill them no matter if you are riding it or not. Have seen a crocodile/bear/wolf die to bison because bison is OP af. Anyways it was bad luck and it can happen. built like that in the code. Hungry animals = attacking non aggresive animals (horses, cows, bisons ). So sound on while hunting and if you hear your horse getting hit better run away for safety.

19 minutes ago, Wulfgarr said:

Hungry animals = attacking non aggresive animals (horses, cows, bisons ).

Starving ones do that indeed, making some servers with large animals amount and not enough hunters a real travelling hazard.

happened to me aswell, however if you brand your horse it cannot be attacked anymore

• Like 1

I'll definitely try to keep my animals branded then. Thanks for the info Sin.

11 minutes ago, Sin said:

happened to me aswell, however if you brand your horse it cannot be attacked anymore

my branded horse did get attacked by a crocodile. It was a few weeks ago so maybe they changed it.

I've been hunting all week and seems like they attack my horse more often than normal. Could be just a coincidence.

Edited by Sharkin

Mobs attack branded horses too. Additionally in unsure if the last few  targeting my horse were starving. Definitely happens much more than usual.

Maybe there suddenly is a reason to have barding on the horse.

(other than looking hella-cool, like with the leather barding)

• Like 1

Even troll swill occasionally hit your horse, why hunting is best done from a cart (apart from being able to bring supplies along like bulk cotton and taking all the butchered goods back home).

• Like 2

Yes, this is normal and expected, always been the case. 

Also, the horse will occasionally fight back, and a troll or mob will tank it.

I kind of like this, it makes sense.

About 3-4 years ago it was decided by someone(?) in power that it would be a good idea that horses that were being ridden could be attacked by aggressive creatures, when previous to this time they were not able to do so (unless tamed). At this time many horses were attacked by aggros in this manner. I even had one soon thereafter attacked and killed while I was riding it to fight some mobs.

Sometimes the aggro would even target it at some distance away before the fight had even started, so some players stopped riding their horses for hunting and switched to horse carts instead. Then mysteriously maybe a year or so later this aggro attack of ridden horses died off significantly *almost to the point that it never happened, so once again players became rather carefree in riding horses for hunting purposes and even I on occasion would ride a horse to kill something, sort of amazed that it was never target by these aggros.

Once in a while the Devs decide to "fix" something like this that has slipped through the cracks as now being too "risk free". If ridden horses are now once again being more frequently attacked by aggros I would suspect that this is the reason why and players who had not experienced how it was those years ago are now surprised that this happens.

Note however that this only happens to horses that are *ridden* by players, even if they are not tamed. This is the way this "feature" is *intended to work and during the more relaxed times when it gradually faded out to only happen rarely was not how it started out. As for branding horses, this only prevents other players from attacking them anywhere on the PvE servers and has no effect against aggros or was ever stated for that purpose. Facts become mixed with speculations and thus myths arise.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 1