Sign in to follow this  
LorraineJ

"Everything that needs to be said here, has been said."

I'm going to weigh in and say I can't stand when this happens. Perhaps most of the stuff that might need saying is said, but when a thread gets locked, in a very short time it sinks to the bottom of new posts, and many people won't end up seeing it. If for some reason someone feels the need to rush in and lock a thread, how about PINNING it so people know what happened? This thread was locked after 13 hours. That means if someone woke up and went for Sunday brunch or to church, they don't see this thread. Either pin it or make a "Name and Shame" subcategory so information can be found. Since the politics of this game seems to favor allowing serial offenders to carry on their merry way, at least let us know who they are.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

I think this thread has run its course, lock please.

JakeRivers, have we ever had interaction in-game? I'm wondering what causes you to come comment in my thread and request to lock it.

• Like 1

Pinning a thread is only done for threads that are helpful, and beneficial to all users.

Name and shame threads, while not against the rules, and can be seen as helpful to some people, are not beneficial to everyone.

If everything that needs to be said has been said, and the only posts that are being made in the thread are trolling, irrelevant posts, why would we leave it open, much less pin it to the top of the forums?

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, LorraineJ said:

JakeRivers, have we ever had interaction in-game? I'm wondering what causes you to come comment in my thread and request to lock it.

dont think you have

he has a reputation for not being the sharpest tool in the shed

I'm not sure I felt that subsequent posts were trolling - the post started with something that happened that by some stretch could have been an accident, and then further posts revealed that this behavior is business as usual. If there aren't rules in the game enforced that keep people from doing such hurtful things, then what other recourse is there besides letting potential victims know who's going to be doing it?

Lets hope that unsavory characters will either continue to blatantly advertise their unsavority (that's a word, right?) or that they will change their ways and should be forgiven and given a second chance. I think all of us have probably had a post or two that we would not like pinned.

i ###### hate this community because of people and threads like this/you

I think the thread got derailed with everyone questioning Hashirama and his reputation instead of Vortexxx and his wrong doings but other then that i did not see anything wrong either. There is not much we can do about threads getting locked down some "name and shame" can last for days and others get locked quickly. I guess some of it comes down to friendships too if the accused has friends that are staff and they report it then it will likely get locked even quicker.   

This game breeds hate on a daily basis just about everyday there is some kind of drama going on someplace about someone here, lol

Edited by Kegan

6 minutes ago, Cornchips said:

i ###### hate this community because of people and threads like this/you

Glad to know it. So what about the thread is what you hate? Do you want griefers and thieves to go about unchecked? Just feel like making a disparaging comment?

It was an attempt at humor, as you have a thread about threads being locked before a reasonable amount of time, I was not trolling you or your thread, but making a point that others seem to deem when someones post has run its coarse and it should be locked. Sometimes for no logical reason, but usually happens when someone else derails it on purpose to achieve that goal.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

... I think all of us have probably had a post or two that we would not like pinned.

I see your point about posts, but stealing and selling shamelessly - IDK.

9 minutes ago, Kegan said:

This game breeds hate on a daily basis...

I guess how I feel is, there should be basic rules in place so people who would do something to breed some hate just won't bother. If it happens, nip it in the bud; if something is stolen, have it given back. The "well technically it's not griefing/stealing" to me is bull. And if it isn't stopped, there's no choice but to keep ourselves informed.

Perhaps instead of locking threads prematurely the mods should just remove the garbage that seems to fill up threads, sometimes it happens to good discussion threads ending them in being locked rather than cleaned up, it is easy to derail something and I am sure we all do it.

3 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

It was an attempt at humor, as you have a thread about threads being locked before a reasonable amount of time, I was not trolling you or your thread, but making a point that others seem to deem when someones post has run its coarse and it should be locked. Sometimes for no logical reason, but usually happens when someone else derails it on purpose to achieve that goal.

Ok sorry, I misread you. I got into a "slowly I turned" kind of mood from hearing of the mean act.

You can agree or disagree that Hashi or Vortexxx is a shady character.  Those of us that have been around long enough, seen the complaints on the forums and the horror stories from chatting with other Wurmians know the truth.

The hidden agenda of the forum mods (I think) is to keep the forums as positive as possible.  Seriously, who is going to come try a new game, when they come read the forums and all they see is theft, deception, "the end of Wurm is near" threads?  I disagree with locking these threads, because I think they should be DELETED.  The whole thread.  Keep that negative garbage off the forums.

While the lack of staff intervention and punishment for thieves is something that will never change, we can at least give the appearance that Wurm is a fun game for new people to come play.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

You can agree or disagree that Hashi or Vortexxx is a shady character.  Those of us that have been around long enough, seen the complaints on the forums and the horror stories from chatting with other Wurmians know the truth.

The hidden agenda of the forum mods (I think) is to keep the forums as positive as possible.  Seriously, who is going to come try a new game, when they come read the forums and all they see is theft, deception, "the end of Wurm is near" threads?  I disagree with locking these threads, because I think they should be DELETED.  The whole thread.  Keep that negative garbage off the forums.

While the lack of staff intervention and punishment for thieves is something that will never change, we can at least give the appearance that Wurm is a fun game for new people to come play.

Well, just make a subforum only viewable from people that are signed in and keep all those threads in there.

Edit: I mean the name and shame threads, not the "wurm is dying" and alike.

Edited by Erlindur
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Wargasm said:

If the problems were properly taken care of in-game maybe I could agree, but they are NOT. And it's not fair to new people to keep the truth from them. If I had known that I could be griefed in the manner that I was allowed to be griefed in the past, I would not have invested in the game.

How do you deal with the problem if you hush it up? Seriously, what do you think is the thing to do? I don't think keeping up APPEARANCES is ever a good thing to do. It's very very harmful to the victims. I'm certain you're not a natural "victim" type so you don't relate to it, but I've known victimized people and it can be devastating.

8 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

we can at least give the appearance that Wurm is a fun game for new people to come play.

They can just log in and have stuff happen to them, and then have veteran players act like asses so they're not playing anyways.

4 minutes ago, Erlindur said:

Well, just make a subforum only viewable from people that are signed in and keep all those threads in there.

Brilliant. And make a subdivision so only people who want to read the sort of info in there come across it.

4 minutes ago, Erlindur said:

Edit: I mean the name and shame threads, not the "wurm is dying" and alike.

Yes that's what I meant too.

Edited by LorraineJ

Enki is the one who posted about name and shame, and probably has a fair idea of what that entails.  I'll ask for his opinion on legitimate naming threads being locked rapidly.  Seems like nothing will come of it, but then again, who knows?

27 minutes ago, LorraineJ said:

If the problems were properly taken care of in-game maybe I could agree, but they are NOT. And it's not fair to new people to keep the truth from them. If I had known that I could be griefed in the manner that I was allowed to be griefed in the past, I would not have invested in the game.

It's not griefing if your deed settings permit people to steal.  As bad as it sucks, it happens.

Seriously, what do you think is the thing to do?

Punish repeat offending thieves and troublemakers.  Vortexxx and his band have had numerous complaints against them in the past, but it just keeps happening.  We've lost half of our previous population, banning 1 troublesome thief that has driven at least 3 people away from the game certainly won't hurt the population any worse.

I'm certain you're not a natural "victim" type so you don't relate to it, but I've known victimized people and it can be devastating.

You know nothing about me.  Ask around on NE Indi who it was that lost over a gold in bulk mats, high QL steel and other ores, bricks, mortar, etc about 6 months ago just before Garden of Shadows was founded.  The reason you don't know about it is because I didn't cry on the boards about it.

Edited by Wargasm

do you ask to see the manager if there is a slight wobble in your shopping cart and want free items because of it

• Like 2

It's OK Cornchips..... trolls often mistake entitlement for stupidity.

I will say moderation has gotten a little bit more extreme lately, while it's good in some ways and bad in others, we shouldn't challenge moderation though

However I would like a sub forum dedicated to wurm is dying, name and shame, and other controversial threads because it doesn't belong in town square and if you haven't noticed most people get annoyed by it.

I don't think they want any of that crap on the official boards.  Feel free to make your own unofficial forum though.