Sign in to follow this  
Psalamon

Is this how new Wurmians are treated by the vets....

Ber on the lookout on freedom for Barberman, Megacide, Archana(nide) and their gang of pirates.. not only did they deed over our just developing pasture on Xanadu north of Vrock Landing but have also annexed a community mine which myslef and BombaySteve had put a mob defense door on, anybody gaining access that asked...  The brashly told me to shove when asked to move there deed a few tiles back onto surrounding forest and grass tiles... so this must have been theyre plan all along to take what they didn't own, the only offense possible against another player in the usually considerate Wurming community has PVP come to PVE is this a sign of the times, is this how  a new player is welcomed into the community i would hope not or we will all watch Wurm crumble to dust together.. congrats Megacide and Arachna conquered yet another defenseless flock of cows, this is the 1/40th Troll King Slayer of fame ... ahahahahahah.. excuse me while i vomit...and pick out an adult pastime.. 

Yeah it is deed it or loose it no matter how bad the incident is. The rules of good behaviour don't apply in Wurm Online, just written rules, logical thinking is not allowed.

I can just recommend you switching to Wurm Unlimited if you have such bad troubles in Wurm Online, it is very unlikely that GMs or DEVs will care about this situation. You usually end up nowhere.

Server admins on Wurm Unlimited care about their player base much more because they have to, or other servers will take over, so they will try to solve such situations as fast as possible.

If you want to try Wurm Unlimited you are always welcome on my server: We have free starter deeds of decent size so you can be safe from day one.

• Like 1

Yes, this IS what Vets can and will do to anyone. This is the reality of Wurm. If you can survive this you can make it in Wurm.

Everyone else will tell you it is you who did something wrong.... but now in 2016 there are very few games that allow Players to reach their full potential of becoming flaming buttheads like in Wurm, and so this kind of thing is seldom experienced by Players of games... therefore I do NOT blame new Players for being unprepared for this kind of selfish aggressive behavior. Who would be? Wurm is a game that you will learn much about the TRUE nature of humans, what is at our very core... because this game allows that true nature to shine forth in all it's facets and sometimes it's not pretty.

There are some Vets who will not do this kind of stuff to you, who will be kind and respectful. The Players that respect others make a conscience choice not to give into selfish and greed. Making this choice is not an easy path either in real life and especially not in Wurm. In Wurm the kind of behavior you have experienced from others is protected by the rules and the GMs will not assist in a case like this.

I wish you the best in Wurm. You can survive this. Learn from this if you can stomach it and stay to discover what Wurm can be for you.

Use the rules to your benefit. Deed everything and anything that is precious to you. Take time to set your permissions. Be careful who you trust. There ARE good People in Wurm. The trick is to find them.

Edited by geode
  • Like 8

Thankfully, I've encountered few vets and newbies who think like this, but there's all sorts (Not just in Wurm. This is one of the nicest communities I've encountered!). Just like IRL, there's rude people, careless people and those whose only argument for their actions it that technically they "are allowed to do it".  I mostly avoid anyone who tries to tell me how how competitive Wurm is; you must grind; conquer all the things etc. I wouldn't hang out with that type in 3d either. 

That being said, living near starter towns is not great. Everyone decides they want to live there, too, and deeding is the way we do things here. You can quietly live off deed in lots of off the the beaten path places or maybe trying joining a newbie friendly village for a bit? I hope you can recover from this brush with rudeness and live to Wurm another day. 

• Like 2

In a weird way, the more rules that exist on a server, the worse people act. I don't remember this sort of stuff happening way back in the old JK Home/Wild days and I don't see it happening on Epic. But now that everything is regulated to high hell in an attempt to keep the nasty people under control, that just encourages them to try even harder to get one over on everyone else.

• Like 5

It's sad but it doesn't really happen often, I'm sorry that it did happen to you. You'll find a lot of helpful players around and I suggest that you and your group join one of them, might be easier to get started. Or just try to settle in some place that doesn't get visited often by such people.

not the best place to settle without deeding. this has nothing to do with vets or newbies. any player can and will deed on a place that is not deeded. just deed the next good location you find. if you are already paying premium then deed upkeep is nothing when compared to prem... (provided the size is not gigantic). if you are not prem, then maybe south is a better choice for you with the bugged spawn rates (you will be safer) unless you are into wurm survival. wurvival?

Edited by Simyaci

Psalamon is the greatest liar i have see in Wurmonline! shame on you! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words and of course words of warning i just wanted people to know what kind of players these are if you decide to do business with them, people likely to do this will have other character flaws that come part in parcel with titles of excellence and such....  they have proven to be non-wurmian in my books.. and have taken advantage of a group of newbs as we were the only ones using the area at the time.. and yes i have met many a friendly wurmian... and just so you all know it takes alot to knock this fool down.. ,.. and stay down i won't...you can bet your shiny iron 5 coin on it.. happy Wurmin..

PS - I wouldn't have taken it up the wazooOOoOoo like i did if my connection hadn't been on the fritz for last month or two of gameplay...but thanks to the modern miracle of cat-5e i have taken proactive steps in improving my travel to Wurmian sands..and many may notice and imrpovement in the overall Xanadu lag issue.. asi think a bad connection can be detremental to all.. as Rolf and I chatted about..

These are vets? :huh:

Maybe I should pay more attention to carebear land...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Klaa said:

These are vets? :huh:

Maybe I should pay more attention to carebear land...

hehehehehehheh... hahaha.. you have style Klaa i always look forward to reading your posts ..

now hit it care bears....Mello, Ten, BrianBlate and you two Bombay Steve...

I wanna be a Care Bear
Oh It will be so great to when I'm a Care Bear
Oh I can hardly wait to be a Care Bear
And do the things Care Bears do.
Oh I wanna be a Care Bear Like you!
You do?
I'll be like Funshine and make the sunshine
And have heart like Love-a-Lot.
I'll be like Wish Bear and always be there.
We'll be the luckiest bears in Care-a-Lot.
I wanna be a Care Bear
And fill the world with love
To be a Care Bear is what I'm dreaming of.
We'll make a great pair
We'll stick together through and through Like glue.
I don't wanna be a cook or a fireman.
And I don't wanna play trombone in the marching band.
I just wanna be a care Bear Like you!!
I just wanna be a Care Bear

ba da bada bump baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....  CARE BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Hey Psa! As we build our Deed, all neighbours was friendly to us! only you have offended us, from the fiorst day we deeded near Vrock. You have a Problem, when you think that all Mines where you build a Door in front of, it is yours! You are a liar!! And tittles us with Nazis, (we have screenshots) because we are germans. WE have a peautiful relationship to all neighbours. except with PSA!

• Like 2

'Cause if you liked it, then you should have put a deed on it
If you liked it, then you shoulda put a deed on it
Don't be mad once you see that we wanted it
'Cause if you liked it, then you shoulda put a deed on it
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

In all seriousness though, that is the nature of Wurm. The land is open until you make it your own. Anything off-deed should be considered fair game to anyone willing to put in the effort of taking it. There are things you can do to make it more difficult, such as using structures to "hold" a small parcel of land, but this is why off-deed structures take damage and must be repaired. (I personally dislike this tactic, but this is why I was more at home on Chaos than Freedom for many years! Catapults are lovely things. :P)

I'm not saying I agree with deeding over land or a mine that is obviously being used by someone else. I feel the burden of "playing nice" falls on both parties, and being respectful of another player includes not carelessly dropping a deed knowing it will cause issues. You should make Wurm your own, not take what others have made, but you also need to protect what you've made. I also think that if Barberman's post holds any truth, that there was a point where diplomacy could have been used, which went away quickly when what amounts to racial slurs were slung about. That's something I'd caution you against as well, the CMs don't take kindly to racial slurs.

From a design stand point, while putting the burden of safeguarding land on the player may seem like a barrier for some new players, it's not all too hard to do. Getting premium gives you more than enough silver to start and hold on to a small starter deed for a fair period of time. Joining a larger village is always encouraged as you will have better access to resources that way, and some mayors even pay for tedious work to be done.

• Like 5

I'm interested to see how this plays out. Seeing as I've been forcibly removed from a mine that was not deeded and told to never return. Yes that's right, for mining an off deed vein. All you have to do is cry hard to a staff member, and you too can have someone restricted from your area. As Keenan says, anything off deed should be considered fair game to anyone willing to put the effort into taking it.

• Like 8

this post and yourself are very annoying

what did you really expect to come out of this thread

4 minutes ago, Cornchips said:

this post and yourself are very annoying

what did you really expect to come out of this thread

yet you didn't ignore it.. i wonder...  as the title says ""New to Wurm"" how can you guys expect to get new players when this is how they are treated you include Corndip, like come on.. no wonder this ship is sinking.. thnaks  i just made up my mind on spending my next  money.. such a hostile enviro.... and Megacidal all the neighbors are wary of you after what you pulled , just because someone is nice tyo you doesnt mean they arent grasping their sword...do you NOT SEE the problem...

And a client developer takes sides with the so called vets sheesh.. lets teleport over to PVE megacide Archnide or is the 1/40th troll slayer a coward.. did they let hit it twice were you A BAD GIRL.. or did you follow suit and walk away so the other girls could slap the outnumbered Troll King as well.. screw this.. i am switching to Chaos.. where people like you HAVE to show respect.. damn i begged them to move there deed over as my Mentor was slow in adjusting the deed and for your ###### i'll deed over half your man.. so good luck mining anything but silver... HA!

Dem bad girls always wanna hit it twice Maybe more. Depends on THOT. 

• Like 2

all i wanted to do was shed some light on why new players don't stick around... this is a great example.. how can you learn ... when you have to scurry for the darkness anytime one of these behemoths out box you.. come on the war is over this is PVE.. or i thought it was ... lets be adults if possible.. and i will tell other people about this.. because some of you just want more fodder, you know what they say about people who profit from anothers hard work... a blood sucking parasite hey peanut women..arachnid... .. most of the people i have met here have been great so i wish you a farewell.. i think i'll pay up my deed for the next ten years and go on hiatus let them have an empty mine... they shoudl havbe backed off when i begged them b4 it got ugly any decent HUMAN BEING would have if they had seen how upset i was over it.. and its not even my deed i am a guest but my Mentor BombaySteve was and is a shining examp[le of what a  pure soul is.. his favourite was cooking 50 meals in all the frying pans i scavenged in my first month and then using them to feed all the new neighbors.. well all except one.. we don't cook for Worms no more...Gute nacht blutsauger und unternehmen hehehe.. 

I can't speak to this particular incident, since I wasn't there and don't know the parties involved. I will say this though....While the "deed it or lose it" rule does cause it's share of problems from time to time, it causes far less problems than we had when people could fence off (or block in numerous other ways), huge tracts of land without having to pay for them and preventing others from deeding who would have paid for it.

In a perfect world, everyone would play nice, with good sportsmanship, and with consideration for the effects of their actions on others. Obviously not a perfect world though.  And in rl, people are generally more civil than online, even when it goes against their basic nature since they're within reach of someone's fist.  It's been my experience that people's true nature comes out online and particularly in games.  When you meet people online who are generally friendly, polite, and fair minded, you can be fairly sure they are that way in rl since they're being nice when they don't have to and it's in their nature.  People who are mean spirited deep down, generally act that out in a game whether they do in rl or not since they never have to truly face the people they're being buttheads to.

The "deed it or lose it" rule is the only practical defense against the mean spirited.  And on the flip side, it also protects against inadvertently losing a wanted area to someone new or uninformed who innocently deed somewhere that looks to them like they got really lucky, only to find they are now the pariah of the neighborhood and hated and then become subject to intentional griefing to drive them out. I've seen it go both ways.  Protects the newcomer who just thought they got lucky too.  In the end, what's most beneficial for the game is for people to have to pay for the land they want, and deed as much as they are willing to pay for.  The game has no way to judge motives.

• Like 7

I remember the same veterans saying "deed it or lose it" now, crying when the whole enclosure thing got removed which now prevents them for claiming undeeded land.

Edited by Elktazahjr
  • Like 2

Also consider the possibility that they may have had plans for the area and been using it undeeded, before you moved in to the area. So it is possible that you are the one encroaching on their space, so they drop a deed to own it, or widen their deed to take the land back.

Not saying this is the case, but it is something I've seen many times before.

Nothing really belongs to you until you put a stake int he ground.  However, I am sorry that this did happen.  You may find over time that you can both be friendly neighbors and work together.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Fawkes said:

In a weird way, the more rules that exist on a server, the worse people act. I don't remember this sort of stuff happening way back in the old JK Home/Wild days and I don't see it happening on Epic. But now that everything is regulated to high hell in an attempt to keep the nasty people under control, that just encourages them to try even harder to get one over on everyone else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keenan said:

'Cause if you liked it, then you should have put a deed on it
If you liked it, then you shoulda put a deed on it
Don't be mad once you see that we wanted it
'Cause if you liked it, then you shoulda put a deed on it
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

Thanks, Keenan! Now I'll have that song in my head for the rest of the day! I bet you sing it to all the girls ........ ;-)  Well done!

• Like 2