Sign in to follow this  
Aeryck

PvP Drama and the Rest of Wurm

Let me just say that I find most of the current PvP drama posts to be EXTREMELY detrimental to the general operation and health of the forums. As someone who's been playing Wurm for 3 years and who has spent less than 10 minutes on Chaos, I have almost no idea what happens in game or in chat on Chaos. I have no idea who is in what kingdom (except those who use kingdom avatars). I have no idea who is the greatest Fighter or who raided who. To me, Chaos is little more than a myth; a strange land that grizzled old (sometimes senile) Veterans talk about with tender fondness from time to time. Words are spoken over our heads like we are children in the presence of adult conversations.  And because of all of this, I have virtually no idea in what context most of the clearly heated posts are made, at whom they are directed (except when names are given) or how I should feel about it.

As someone who at least understands that Chaos exists and that those players from opposing kingdoms are required to interact outside of Chaos; I usually write those posts off and just scroll down. But from time to time posts lead me to believe that the entire community of Wurm must be this hostile, and if I hadn’t interacted with many individuals through PM’s and over Trade or CA Help, I would believe it.

All this being said; I 100% believe these posts should be allowed to be made and that they help create a sense of competition and immersion that is necessary for a good PvP conflict. I just don’t think they should be blended seamlessly into the rest of Wurm discussion.

Here’s an example of why these sometimes random and violent posts cause harm to the community as a whole; a recent post for a public unique slaying included a note that a certain group of individuals would not be welcome at the slaying, which lead to a derailment of the topic and a personal flame-war between kingdoms. The OP probably had a good reason to exclude these members, and the other side who commented probably had a good reason to be upset about it. From what I glean from the discussion it sounds like the reasons are PvP related, but who really knows? All I know as a humble Freedombear is that here are some people who I will (hopefully) stand next to later today who do not like each other, and that at some point I may find myself, however inadvertently, on one side or the other.

Aaaaand bringing it all together…

The existence of these persisting conflicts is what makes a great PvP experience but a bad community as a whole, when a line is not drawn between peacetime and war. What I would like to see is a community that takes into consideration the time and place that they are launching their attacks at each other. Many topics and sometimes entire days of forum posts have become urban battlegrounds. When there is a shootout in the streets, innocent people get wounded. Please consider that, to the rest of us it just seems like Wurm is a hostile and unfriendly place. Please consider that the words that you intend for a specific party might be best kept privately to that party. Please consider using the Chaos forums, which I can choose to skim over when I am browsing.

Please do have these conflicts. Wage war and destroy each other. Build vast empires and do battle. I even invite you to come and rest on Freedom when war becomes too much and you need a break. Just remember to leave your sword outside when you enter the tent of peace.

Thanks for reading and I leave you with the words of J.R.R Tolkien:

“The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there in peace. War will make corpses of us all.”

• Like 13

I can't speak for game PvP, but man those forum wars are brutal and unrelenting.

so now the forum's health is more important than the game's health?

i laugh

people are so mad because everyone is quitting because the game keeps being broken more and more on the pvp side of things

the pvp servers are nearly empty. people get upset when their WU server shuts down, thats how we feel

Edited by Alexgopen
  • Like 3

Yeahhh, there are a few groups of people who like to bring up Chaos drama just for the sake of stirring up an argument. I like forum PvP as much as the next guy, but that sort of hostility belongs in the skirmishes thread. Sick of having legitimate PvP discussions hijacked by cranky sixteen-year-olds who can't put their emotions aside for the betterment of the game.

• Like 4

Alex, as a user and not a Dev I can't change the code but I can try to improve the community.

It is jk, can't expect much out of that group, rofl.

I was once in a alliance with a member of jk, when I would ask questions about chaos I would never get much information out of this person other than mr was nothing but a bunch of drooling zerglings.

One day I met some nice folks that started a deed near ours, Vyolette and Keenan, as it turned out mr people were actually quite nice, They were helpful in my many questions about chaos, and when I decided it was time to head out and discover those lands, mr would be my kingdom of choice and not jk as we had decided long ago to join eventually.

In the time I was in that alliance due to merely talking to mr people I was threatened of expulsion from this freedom alliance if I ever went to chaos and joined mr. 

JK strike me as a very bitter group of people, there may be a handful of good folks in there, but that is all I have come across so far. For the most part mr has has a few bitter folks too, but I have seen far more of them in jk. 

Oh, on the day I joined mr I removed my deeds from the alliance I was in on freedom so they would not have the pleasure of booting us, or of just the constant threats of booting me and my friends out and formed our own alliance, Fire and Sand, on exodus.

I have never regretted my decision in this either.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

what does this have to do with anything

• Like 12

there's a group of people that actually play once a week that don't contribute to any of it, that's a good 95% of the playerbase for pvp

so as always you're just looking at the 5% that are loud and get noticed and you yourself are adding to that toxic percentage

there's nothing wrong get over it

or leave

Edited by Cornchips

There is more drama from dragons when you really look into things currently. The pvpers just want there game back, however some of them are pretty toxic how they ask for it, or are demanding to much at once.

The situation between Necroe, JK and myself was created by him removing me as friends and acting like I am a spy or something when I just asked a question to another friend who told everyone in his kingdom I was asking what he was doing! All they need do is apologize to me, and that's really it and it's so freaking dumb and annoying the whole thing seriously! Asking kids to be mature in wurm is pretty hard though. 

And most dragon hunters dislike me because I bring to light there greed, general mistrust for people, egotistical attitudes thinking they're better than you so its okay to be a jerk. Most of them are toxic not all of them but most, some of them go as far to make up stories about me without evidence. Apparently for something I said to a steam friend on the challenge map in December 2015 really Ladygodvia, and you know word spreads people will believe and follow anything you say in this game.

How do you fix dragon drama? That's up to the devs, if the Rift system is what I think it is, that fixes one issue make uniques more fair, let people experience them. 

How do you fix the pvp issues? Quickly implement fixes before they leave the game.

One last note:

Stop making drama threads people, they hurt your reputation, take it from me I know...

Edited by Niki

4 minutes ago, Propheteer said:

Everything

10 minutes ago, Propheteer said:

You are making such threads and giving more footage to the pvpers. Rather concentrate on the unique kills and their management. 

This post is not about unique kills; it is about the tendency for any conflict of opinions to turn into a PvP battle where the general public is dragged into Chaos drama.

Generalizations of Examples:

WTS Forum

OP: "WTS Glimmersteel Longsword."

Angry Commenter: "I bet [Kingdom A] looted that sword from [Kingdom B] when they unfairly fought them 5v1 yesterday!"

Suggestions and Ideas Forum

OP: "Lets increase the size of the Knarr Cargohold."

Angry Commenter: "Why so [Kingdom] can make more silver spamming wagons?"

You'll notice that I didn't once ask any of the more "vocal" forum members to stop posting to leave, but rather to just not drag non-PvP issues into PvP discussions that inevitably degrade the conversation to the point where no real issues can be considered. I am not proposing a prohibition of discussing PvP related issues or considering PvP implications when making Wurm-wide decisions. I am just asking that topics be kept more on topic and not allowed to result in a few people cursing each other back and forth for wearing different colors when they cross swords.

5 minutes ago, MarkSilard said:

PvP is op. Needs to be nerfed.nerf guns.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slickshot said:

lol now THAT I think everyone can agree on:)

So what does this have to do with that?

Quite simple;

Hashirama(or any associates of), niki, red, Jukimo and lisabet will not be on loot rolls as per the groups wishes

So the personal attacks on the above, which it is, and quite honestly this is a drake kill so not hurting anyone's feelings on loosing out on a roll for a bone, but the above was posted to create drama and nothing else.

I really don't understand why lis was included, one of the nicest people I know in game and would go out of her way to help someone, but the simple fact that she is a champion and since champion's can not leave the chaos server could not even attend this event anyways. So this was just thrown up as a jab to her, a personal attack.

How can you not expect drama on a lame drake unique slaying event, there is zero chance on a valeri item and the drake hide may drop enough for a pair of gloves. This is just another fluff public event to make everyone feel good about how kind these people are for setting up a public kill. If it was a valerie dropping unique, pretty sure the rolls would not be left open to the general public.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Hashirama(or any associates of), niki, red, Jukimo and lisabet will not be on loot rolls as per the groups wishes

So the personal attacks on the above, which it is, and quite honestly this is a drake kill so not hurting anyone's feelings on loosing out on a roll for a bone, but the above was posted to create drama and nothing else.

I really don't understand why lis was included, one of the nicest people I know in game and would go out of her way to help someone, but the simple fact that she is a champion and since champion's can not leave the chaos server could not even attend this event anyways. So this was just thrown up as a jab to her, a personal attack.

How can you not expect drama on a lame drake unique slaying event, there is zero chance on a valeri item and the drake hide may drop enough for a pair of gloves. This is just another fluff public event to make everyone feel good about how kind these people are for setting up a public kill. If it was a valerie dropping unique, pretty sure the rolls would not be left open to the general public.

Coming from a public relations staff is the best apart lets not forget.

• Like 1

GET IT BECAUSE STAFF MEMBERS CAN'T HAVE OPINIONS OR PLAY THE GAME THEIR OWN WAY EITHER LOL

• Like 2

Any drama is toxic, stirring ###### give you some extra smelly stains yadda yadda.

yes, the whole thing is bad, yes, seeing the current mentality in some of those threads is bad, yes from an outsider point of view you will think the wurm community is ugly as hell.

4 minutes ago, Cornchips said:

GET IT BECAUSE STAFF MEMBERS CAN'T HAVE OPINIONS OR PLAY THE GAME THEIR OWN WAY EITHER LOL

Staff members are representative of Wurm community and CCAB. So no, they can't have all the opinions or play the game as they want. And that's something staff members SHOULD know when posting that kind of thing.

So meh, you can have freedom of speech, but sometimes a lot of things should be swept under the rug by mods to keep things more welcoming and way less aggressive.

• Like 1

This is one staff member attacking another on open forums. This is very unprofessional and sets a bad image of the wurm staff. 

3 hours ago, Aeryck said:

Let me just say that I find most of the current PvP drama posts to be EXTREMELY detrimental to the general operation and health of the forums. ...

Sadly nothing can be done. It's also a result of the fact that the Freedom cluster is shared by a large number of PvE players and a smaller, but still significant, number of PvP players. If we had separate PvP and a PvE clusters all the PvP drama and rage-posts would be safely tucked away in their respective forums. :)

I made a post in past that there should be a chaos server only chat in game where all kingdoms could talk. Seriously, it would be fun and there would be less drama on forums because people would be busy doing it there on the chat :P

Anywhere there is communication, there will be drama.