Sign in to follow this  
Onsdag

Estpolis - Lufia Inspired 8192x8192 Map

Hello Everyone! This is my first map, inspired by and based on the game Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals. The map is 8192x8192. Originally I was going to make it 4096x4096 as that is the actual size (pixel-wise) of the Lufia map. However, after testing in-game I found that it wasn't large enough to capture the feel of a true adventure the size and scope of Lufia, where the heroes often have to travel some distances between towns in a wild and monster-filled world. This map has taken me several weeks to create, edit, tweak, and fine-tune. It may yet require further work, but as-is I feel absolutely satisfied with it, have been playing on it along with my brother, and am delighted to share it with the community here! I hope you will truly enjoy this magnificent world from one of my favorite games growing up!

And now, the files:

Loose files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4p-94tr1IM5Y1R6R3RqMmhDTzQ

Zipped files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4p-94tr1IM5Nlc3QWhHVFpSY0k

Detailed instructions:

1. Create a new copy of your "Adventure" map folder located in your Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server directory and rename it Estpolis.

2. Download the folder "Estpolis" from the above link and install all the loose .map and .png files and the "sqlite" folder within into your newly created Estpolis folder. Overwrite all files when prompted.

3. The "graphics" folder contains all the necessary files to get the beautiful in-game map working. These are client-side files and anyone playing on your map will need to download and install them if they want the map to work. Just place these into your Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\packs\graphics.jar file using 7zip, Winrar, or other archiving software.

4. Enjoy!

A few notes:

• Due to the way I created the map using WorldPainter there are no exposed rock surfaces in the world. If you want to mine then you'll have to first dig through the dirt to get to the rock below. The dirt, I feel, is a reasonable 40-80 in depth and shallow enough to provide fairly quick access to mining, yet deep enough to provide enough material for people who love terraforming.
  • This map is a blank slate. I haven't gotten around to creating any villages or anything yet and so the starting spawn area "Elcid" (the town the hero starts off at in Lufia) located at x=1296, y=7100 may be somewhat dangerous to newbies.
  • Since the map is a blank slate you will probably need to spawn in a trader, guards, and any other things as you see fit.
  • I somewhat tried to change the in-game deities in the database to reflect the deities found in Lufia - i.e. the Sinistrals Arek, Amon, Daos, Erim, and Gades. You can find these Sinistrals, and their altars, in a centrally located place on the map. However, I have no clue what I'm doing, and in the process very well may have broken the religions in Wurm. In my game as I attempted to become a follower and priest I ran into some unknown issue of constantly being dropped as a follower for no apparent reason. I have somewhat temporarily overcome this by using GM powers. However, unless I can figure out what is going on and how to resolve it, it may be best to just rebuild/restore the database and forego having the Sinistrals.
  • Similar to the above point I have also tried changing the kingdoms to better reflect the Lufia world, which may have caused unintended issues. The only issue I have seen from this so far is that for whatever reason the guards appear as wraiths instead of humans. I have tried to find and fix this issue to no avail. If this bothers you then reload/rebuild the database for the default vanilla settings.
  • You may have to travel some distances to find certain resources (certain trees, tar, etc.). I personally like this as it adds immeasurably to the sense of traveling the world to find what you're looking for. And along these lines I have also spent considerable time and effort in making unique and interesting places throughout the world for explorer types to be rewarded with in their journey of discovery, exploration, and adventure.
  • I currently have the mob settings at 35% Aggressive, and a cap of 165,000. So far in my playthrough this seems to provide a good amount of mobs, as well as plenty of hostile creatures to make things interesting, but also allow for some fairly safe areas. This may require more tweaking however as I continue to play.
  • The cave resources (ores) I have set at 95% rock, 2% iron, 0.15% gold, 0.25 % silver, 0.3% zinc, 0.45% copper, 0.4% lead, 0.4% tin, 0.45% marble, 0.4% slate, 0.1% Adamantine, and 0.1% Glimmersteel.

Enough with the details! Let's take a look at the world! Please note that some of these are screen captures and not the full size map or image.

Original Lufia World Map:

Spoiler

LufiaIIOverworldMap.png

3-D Map:

Spoiler

ZnZDgKE.jpg

Biomes:

Spoiler

hxsLNxu.png

Cave Map:

Spoiler

KUopv8C.png

In-Game Map:

Spoiler

VGWaiX0.png

Once again I hope you enjoy and please leave any feedback or comments!

Edited by Onsdag
  • Like 5

Thanks! That's pretty high praise coming from you who created the beautiful World of Brittania! :)

Nice work with the ingame map! The map folds are a great, convincing addition. I daresay it's cooler than Wurm Online's maps :P

• Like 1

Ha, I love the "included paper map" look. Reminds me of my Morrowind map I'm sure I still have somewhere.

Implement the Ancient Cave and you're golden. :P

• Like 1

Love it, make me want to replay Lufia.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone - glad you're enjoying it!

On 5/6/2016 at 4:21 PM, rangerklypf said:

Nice work with the ingame map! The map folds are a great, convincing addition. I daresay it's cooler than Wurm Online's maps :P

The ingame map is, I believe, an image of an actual paper map that came included with one of the original games. I had to edit the image to remove the various annotations, but felt it was well worth it because it is indeed a beautiful and fitting map to include in the game. Thanks again!

Implementing the Ancient Cave would indeed be amazing! Unfortunately, I do not see any feasible way this could be done as it is well beyond my skills, let alone the game mechanics.

Hm.. Map have own gods, like Daos , it's renamed default gods. But if cleanup godsdb server after start generate mission for old gods (daos , etc). Anyone know how to fix it?