Sign in to follow this  
Innominate

Priest Spell Scrolls

I'm not extensively familiar with the spells that priests can cast, but I think it would be interesting if priests could create scrolls that could be used by non-priests to cast Strongwall, for example, but with some added difficulty so it's still better to actually get a priest player to do it. It could also give the Papyrusmaking skill greater usefulness.

• Like 3

" priests could create scrolls that could be used by non-priests to cast Strongwall "

You mean support beams?

I think for something like this there'd have to be so many things to take into account, most casts base off a power roll, which would lead to all sorts of calculation issues.

I understand the underlying idea, and indeed it's been a common one over the years, but I'd have to -1 it as it simply is not possible to balance well

The idea of imbuing a scroll sounds great for specific spells only. Strongwall, dirt, etc. other utility type spells. Enchants like CoC/WoA/Botd/etc I would not want to see on scrolls. +1

-1, youd have to buy it off a priest anyway, so why would you need a priest? For collapsing there is shaker orb and for reinforcing there is reinforcment beams. So i do not see the need for casting strongwall on papyrus over getting the priest on spot. It would ofc mean people would stay on their deed spam papyruses and sell them meaning its easier for those priests.

This idea is actually not all bad, if only used for non-enchant utility spells (courier, genesis, strongwall, dissintigrate, wild growth, light token, mole senses, mend, dark messenger), why not just work in an extra use for gems?

Gem + hammer = Gem dust (Potential alchemy uses)

Gem dust + dye = Gemdust Ink (needs blessing to become active), 1kg water + 0.5kg gemdust = 0.1kg gemdust ink (QL determined by materials and nat substances)

Load ink into pen (so 1 gem gives enough ink for 10 scrolls), right click scroll and bam.  Uses the ink, makes the scroll.

The power of the scroll Min([(Paper QL + Cast Power)/2],Ink QL]), so the ink gives a hardcap on power.  The scroll can be examined to find out the spell and cast power.

+1 if that kind of system were added in, -1 without it

• Like 1

+5

I would love to see this.  It's actually another of the things I loved in UO that I've kinda missed here.  I might even be willing to re-prem my priest and start getting her skills up if I could sell scrolls.  If nothing else, I'd certainly be buying scrolls.

It wouldn't have to be overly complicated.  And I don't see how anyone would be replacing the need for a priest with them, especially if only priests can make them.  Spamming strongwall scrolls for instance would be prohibitively expensive, so people would still just use mine supports, imo.  (at least on pve, no idea how it works on pvp)

But I sure would love to be able to keep a few scrolls on hand for things like removing "has some illness" from a newly born foal (or whichever one it is that's time-sensitive).  I always have to just kill them because I don't know of any Fo's in the area.  Also would be nice to be able to buy a scroll for enchanting a mailbox.

I think it would be something good for the priests, especially those who aren't much interested in traveling for hours to cast for someone but would like to make some money for their skills. (not to mention the occasional, ensuing drama over how much is to be paid once done).   And good for those who have no priests within a reasonable traveling distance (like less than a full day's travel, lol)

Edited by Amadee

+1 but not for non-priests, still gotta chant it right eh.

Still would be a handy alternative to gems, basically imbuing both the spell and the needed favor into the scroll.

Let's make it non-simple... aside from only using octopus ink of course... papyrus + .... gold/silver wire + jewelsmithing skill = blank spell scroll, then you gotta Bless it for the right deity.  Give jewelers something to do *grin* 

Would come in handy for stuff like having a few genesis casts in a single trip without having to build the priest an altar if you worship some other god... massive canal strongwall operations... Fo's would be able to use heals in the wild without losing their "no aggro" buff.  Good stuff like that.

+1 from me as well.

Could be used for all the utility spells like Strongwall, Courier, Genesis, etc. Ql of papyrus must be at least equal to the faith requirement to inscribe the spell.

And just to throw in an added obstacle: only priests of the original gods Fo. Libila, Magranon and Vynora can inscribe spells. :)

• Like 1

After reading everyone's posts (& wondering why I didn't get notifications about them), I'd like to amend my suggestion by adding that an additional skill be made for non-priests to use a scroll, "Scroll Use"(?). Maybe that way it would mess with the calculations too much, & give the opportunity to create lesser scrolls, (stuff to be used in combat [offensive or buffs], or maybe odd things like levelling a tile from 10 tiles away) that would be used to raise it.

I would love if you could enchant a scroll, have it cost a sheet of papyrus where the quality must be equal to the spell difficulty, and the priest has to use charged gems broken up and combined with an ink?  it can involve a skill for inscribing.

Personally I'd add that only a person of the same faith could use a scroll.  but that's my 2 cents.

Edited by Tallios