• <1g
    • <2g
    • <3g
    • <4g
    • <5g
    • <10g
    • >10g

1 hour ago, Whisker said:

Would be interested to see the figures on that and other financials in Wurm, such as the top 5% and bottom 20% etc to get an idea of the distribution of silver.

Let's get some statistics on currency distribution among wurm players.  Count money only (not items, their value is up to the buyer).  Please answer honestly, the results will be anonymous.

Edited by Alexgopen

Yeah, are we counting in money in the bank or in assets that we have? If we are counting money in the bank I would be the bottom 20% however if we count assets I would be pretty decent on the list.

• Like 1

How about the wealth I've accumulated when offering my 'services'. -wink- mmm.

On 4/13/2016 at 10:36 AM, Alexgopen said:

Please answer honestly, the results will be anonymous.

it's not anon, click the number in results on the right

nvm staff r special

Edited by MrGARY

19 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

It's anon.

31 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

money in the bank only

LOL Then I am in the poor end of town. It all goes into assets. Marked my lot on the map.

27 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

check your chat moderator priviledge

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Audrel said:

LOL Then I am in the poor end of town. It all goes into assets. Marked my lot on the map.

yea i have a lot in assets too but it would be a poor way of measuring this because value of items is up to opinion

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

It's anon.

Nothing is truly "Anon" on these forums. You know that Slickshot. (I wish that I could trust that it was.)

34 minutes ago, geode said:

Nothing is truly "Anon" on these forums. You know that Slickshot. (I wish that I could trust that it was.)

I suppose you're right.  I admit this reluctantly, of course.

• Like 1

A lot more people towards the bottom of the poll than I expected.

Then again, there is most likely quite a large bias towards those with a lot of silver and those who are most active on the forums.

Stats so far:

11/42 have roughly 40g

31/41 have roughly 10g

Top 25% have 80% of the silver.

Bottom 75% have 20% of the silver.

*really rough estimates*

Quite the imbalance :P

Edited by Whisker

3 minutes ago, Whisker said:

Then again, there is most likely quite a large bias towards those with a lot of silver and those who are most active on the forums.

Stats so far:

11/42 have roughly 40g

31/41 have roughly 10g

*really rough estimates*

i think we gotta give it a bit more time to get more data

the most active forum users are probably those most invested in the game, and thus those with the most silver and first to notice the thread and vote

i think we'll see more votes toward the lower end as time goes on

• Like 1

I don't know about coins in my bank and not bothering to check. To show how extravagant I am though I will say that I have 2 Supreme 5 copper coins laying on the ground in front of my Gnomes (they dug them up of course). If they were 20 coppers though they would be in the bank. A further wealth indicator.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Just now, Ayes said:

I don't know about coins in my bank and not bothering to check. To show how extravagant I am though I will say that I have 2 Supreme 5 copper coins laying on the ground in front of my Gnomes (they dug them up of course). If they were 20 coppers though they would be in the bank. A further wealth indicator.

=Ayes=

can view bank balance by logging into the online shop if you arent interested in starting the game ;)

4 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

the most active forum users are probably those most invested in the game, and thus those with the most silver and first to notice the thread and vote

While I loosely agree with this let me be an exception to the proposed theme:  I am one of the most active players on the forums; I was the second person to vote on the poll (you were the first I believe?) And I have under 20s.  In fact, the only time I have more than 5s is when I buy it from the shop. Lol. I've played for a long time, but never went full tilt into bulk trading, merchant markets, etc.  I earn a few coins here and there from the odd job, and occasionally create a rare worth selling.

I feel this may be common for a lot of folks.

11 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

That's exactly what I said at the start of my post...

Edited by Whisker

I have 50 Silver, simply because I bought silver to re-start my deed and then changed my mind.  Otherwise I'd be at the bottom of the pile with whatever money I'd have collected from rolls.

14 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

While I loosely agree with this let me be an exception to the proposed theme:  I am one of the most active players on the forums; I was the second person to vote on the poll (you were the first I believe?) And I have under 20s.  In fact, the only time I have more than 5s is when I buy it from the shop. Lol. I've played for a long time, but never went full tilt into bulk trading, merchant markets, etc.  I earn a few coins here and there from the odd job, and occasionally create a rare worth selling.

I feel this may be common for a lot of folks.

I don't consider myself a merchant, I just raid often and build up a hoard of loot, try to sell as much of it as I can, then sell the silver, repeat. For me silver builds up over time to a large amount and then drops to 0 when sold, and the cycle repeats. How much silver I have at any given time depends on which part of this cycle I'm in and how successful my raiding had been 

I only have a bunch of money right now because I sold a pile of bricks and mortar and haven't found the glowies for sale I'd like. I get it, I spend it, or put it towards deed upkeep. What are you 1g+ havers saving up for? 

• Like 1

If you're talking money in the bank only, then you're looking at a statistic that's not going to mean much. Some people hold a lot of money in their bank while others spend all of their money on assets. Money also fluctuates. I think for most people, sometimes they'll have a lot of money, other times they'll have very little depending on recent events in their Wurm life.

Therefore, it's going to be impossible to accurately determine money distribution.

Edited by Lotus1

Impossible only by the standard you're searching for.  Determining an average distribution of silver has nothing to do with assets, as those assets shift overtime.  The assets can be ignored and the coin itself accounted for to figure out what class commonly holds the largest pool of raw wealth.   This number would shift around throughout time, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if it stayed within the clutches of a select minority for the longest duration.

I, too, am curious as to why those with abundant gold hold onto those funds, or why that amount is every truly accumulated without previous distribution which would surely halt them from storing so much at once.

1 hour ago, Whisker said:

Stats so far:

11/42 have roughly 40g

31/41 have roughly 10g

*really rough estimates*

I guess Bernie Sanders jokes would be bad form...

• Like 2

Another thing to consider is that income (after mandatory expenses) is as important as accumulated wealth. I may be just shy of 10s right now, but my monthly income is quite a bit less than 1s. So when I see something for sale, I don't see "I could get 3 of that if I blew my savings" I see "that's 4 months income".

• Like 1