Sign in to follow this  
lyhrinae

Garlic. Herb, Vegetable, or Resource?

This wiki entry (http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Garlic) indicates that garlic "is a herb contrary to its real-life status as a Vegetable."

This other wiki entry (http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Botanizing) lists it as a resource, not a herb or vegetable. 

While it can be debated that both are accurate descriptors, when you forage, you can locate garlic under resources.

The foraging wiki entry (http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Foraging) doesn't have garlic under the resources list.

Thank you :D

Edited by lyhrinae
formatting.
  • Like 1

Hi Lyhrinae, 

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention as it can be very confusing (I know it is for me trying to figure out were to put it at). However, I think I have figured it out. Based off of CA Chat Garlic cannot be obtained by foraging which is why it is not listed in the Forage article. So, with that being said, I am going to move it on the Botanizing article under herbs and leave the description on it's original page to "is an herb contrary to its real-life status as a vegetable". 

I do appreciate you letting us know and I hope this clears up any confusing :) 

Thank you!

Zachariah

• Like 1

Are you sure about this?  Aside from being grouped in the herb group when botanising, the game treats garlic as a vegetable, as far as I know.  This is based on dev discussion.

I think the correct classification is as a vegetable (hence it can be grown as a crop, like all the other veg), with the added distinction of being botanisable (in the herb group).

There are only 4 veggies as far as the game goes.  Pumpkin, onion, potato, and corn.  It requires a veggie and a meat for a meal in a fry pan.  Garlic will not make a meal.

I think Pandalet's description is correct but then again Pashka's description has some logic to it. But if Pandalet talked to the devs I think her's is sound.

What Pandalet is saying has to do with real life.  Not in game.  That is the difference.  Garlic is considered a veggie in real life.

Definitely not a resource. And I'd agree with Pashka's reasoning for it being an herb.

• Like 1

We may be using different meanings of vegetable here.  I'm basing my reasoning on a peripheral discussion with a dev, so perhaps this is something that needs direct input from a dev.  I will point out that rice isn't generally considered a veg (perhaps it should be?  Again, my understanding is that the game treats it as one), but it also makes a meal.

I had never tested rice in making a meal.  It does make one.  Makes it the one exception to the rule of what constitutes a meal in game.  Guess I didn't take your first post as anything other than statements of facts.  Not as something that perhaps someone wished to have changed or even that might be changed in the future.

Hi there, 

Based off the discussion here I am going to leave the edit as is just to save air by not beating a dead horse. Weather it is a vegetable or an herb can be determined by a dev, however, for all intense purposes I will keep it in the herb column based off the fact that garlic cannot be foraged only botanized. So because when botanizing you only get herbs not vegetables garlic is an herb. If a dev would like to contest this I can then change it. 

Thanks for all the information in this thread :D

Zachariah 

My inclination it to categorize garlic as an herb. Other than being able to farm it, most of it's uses are herb-related: mix with other herbs for stew, mix with animal fat for farmer's salve, mix with other things to make healing covers, and can be botanized.

Now what about onion? Mix with garlic to make stew (2 herb recipe), mix with meat to make a meal (meat + veggie recipe).

--just kidding. I added this to remind me to add something about this on the stew page.

• Like 1