Sign in to follow this  
Ramaraunt

Rework how mobs work

Here is another crazy suggestion brought to you by Arowhun. Pls no hating.

So, I've always thought Wurm was weird, in that in forestland when you walk around, there is another mob every 5 tiles. There is no way in hell that an ecosystem can maintain such numbers of animals. Another thing thats wierd, is how spiders and doe seem to be best friends at times... Of course, making these two animals kill each other would be bad, cause all the doe would die out, but maybe there is a solution to this.

Another thing, hunting in Wurm isnt as fun as it could be. What if while hunting, you actually had to search for mobs to kill, like how it is in real life? Tracking skill would become very important for hunters. Also, what if animals like deer behaved like deer do in real life, and actually run away from you when you try to bash them with a maul instead of fighting you. That way, the best way to kill them would be with ranged attacks, like it is in real life. Would be very enjoyable system IMO. Hunting would become a system to train sneaking skill, tracking skill, and ranged combat skills.

But to those of you who are asking "But what about fs skill, how will you train it?" Well, the answer is simple. Dungeons. Across the maps, there can be dungeons that spawn in, full of constantly respawning mobs. For instance, there can be a spider dungeon, and all the way inside of it there could even be a spider queen boss that re-spawns occasionally. There could be goblin and troll villages, where players could camp for fs gains. 

As for some of the other mobs, there could be more interesting AI. For instance, crocodiles could hang out on the edge of water, and drag players in to drown them if the player is too weak to fight back. Wolves could hunt in packs, chasing down non-hostile mobs, but at a limit of one mob killed per pack day to prevent them from wiping out the forests. Trolls and goblins could occasionally leave their villages in groups, running around and killing any noob that is unfortunate enough to get in their way. Stuff like that.

Edited by Ramaraunt

Does sound like an interesting idea. I am not experienced in code so I am not sure how easy it would be but I don't think that this suggestion would be on the forefront of the developer's minds. The AI in general needs an overhaul. However, I do disagree with the deer running away from you as you are killing them. It used to be that if you got close to them they would take off meaning if you even wanted to kill a deer (which btw they don't skill or a lot of meat which is why you see so many of them) you would have to use range attack (bow and arrow)

1 hour ago, Zachariah said:

(which btw they don't skill or a lot of meat which is why you see so many of them)

wat
anyways -1
if i have to explain to you why this mechanic would be bad then I'm disappointed.

However, for wolves hunting in packs, I can get under. But I think they already do/did this, or intended to at least.

Ahhhhh no quests in wurm please ... mob ai improvement would be nice though