Sign in to follow this  
Marlon

Espresso Islands - Pve (with a pvp zone)

Update: We have renamed/Re-invented this to a more manageable/reliable approach.

You can now search for "espresso" and should find it.

We are mostly South Africa, if you like that sort of thing :) - Anyone welcome though.

Hello...

I am not going to elaborate much. I feel a server should appeal to some, and not to others, and that is should be sustainable with 2 or 20 or 200 players.

While WO is (and have been for many many years) my motivation and main playground, I decided to use my (and friends, and colleagues) resources to put together something reliable, backed-up, solid, close to WO (but tweaked for balance). I am going to allow south africans a chance to enjoy it, as I am South African, but it is open to anyone who would love to settle, invade, hunt and explore with us. 

It's recently gone "live", and we have a strict "no GM interference unless mandatory" policy, but I am going to settle there, whether I am alone or not. The starting village is sufficient for a beginning, and we're all ears to suggestions.

In the spirit of maintaining a long-term, upgradable and stable (predictable) server, we are steering away from mods, Wurm is wurm and should be Wurm.... however, open to input.

For more info, have a look at the very fresh, sparse wiki http://notnull.xyz/world

It should help you start up, but if you're in a hurry and want to avoid the spirit we're trying to get across :P - search the server list for Mythos Borea.

Hosting is still considered for South Africa, but it is located on the main pipes, in Germany, to give Safricans a sub 200ms experience, which is by far ample for Wurm. The server is in a professional, paid for data centre, with ample bandwidth, cpu and ram (with a possibility upgrade). Later on, as needed, things will be added.

Have fun, or don't.

Cheerios

Marlon

PS: I am still searching for a nice spot to settle.

Edited by Marlon

If there's any south africans wanting to comment here on anything, let me know. I am keen to hear feedback and requirements.

Secondly: we added two cores to the server, it's completely overpowered now, allowing for mobs and trees to grow freely ;)

Tonight: Might adjust skillgain and timer up a little bit, balance is still a little bit off.

My new character settled there, and I started with nothing but my started tools and no food. I see many joining, some stay for 10 mins and some for an hour, but never return.

May I ask what the scepticism is about? I realise people want to trust in a server before investing time and effort, but this is what we are aiming for here. The cost of time and real world currency it is costing us to get this server to a professional level of availability and reliability should be a gesture of confidence, should it not?

Feel free to share concerns with me. We have to assess it carefully to know what to do.

Uptime is now almost 2 weeks, with occasional (intentional) restarts to adjust for balance.