Sign in to follow this  
zethreal

How to Change / Add Affinities to Players

I didn't see this on the first couple of pages & thought I'd share. I'm setting up a small(ish) server and everyone that has joined so far has gotten a pretty crappy affinity ( pvp skills on a pve server ). So, I went digging to find out how I could change them. It's actually not that hard, it just takes a bit of running around in the wurmplayers.db file.

First. You can only modify players that have joined your server at least once. When you are ready to change/add affinities, STOP the server so it writes everything to the database and closes safely.

Locate your Server Files. These will be in your Steam folder ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\<mapname>\sqlite ) or, if you are using a dedicated host, it will be under "<map name>\sqlite ". Make a copy of the database or download it to your computer. Then, rename the original to something different, I usually append ".bak" to the end, but anything works as long as it's 1) different and 2) you will still know what it is. 

Open the database file copy in the editor of your choice. I used DB Browser for SQLite ( http://sqlitebrowser.org/ ) and will assume that you are doing the same. Open the database and click the "Browse Data" tab. There's a dropdown for "Table". Pick "PLAYERS". You want the WURMID for the Player you want to change / add the affinities for. Note this number down. Type the name into the Filter field under "NAME" or just go through the list until you find them.

Once you have jotted down all of the ID's for the players you want to change, go to the "Affinities" table. To change the affinity, type the WURMID into the Filter field under WURMID. This will bring up all of the affinities for this player. Use the Google Doc I've provided ( https://goo.gl/S6B67P ) to find the SKILL number. The NUMBER field is for how many of that affinity they have gotten. To Add an affinity, clear the Filter and click "New Record". Change the WURMID to the players ID and then just follow the instructions for changing the affinity.

When you have completely finished, click "Write Changes", which will actually save the changes to the DB file. Then, make sure you still have a backup copy of the original and it does NOT have the original file name. Copy your edited file back to the server ( local or via ftp/web ) and START the server.  Login to make sure everything looks good. Have someone that you made changes to login & verify that they have what they should. If they do, congrats! If not, shut down the server, delete the file you changed and rename the backup copy to wurmplayers.db and try again.

If anyone has questions, please feel free to post here or via PM. Sorry if I'm confusing, I'm a bit tired and probably should have waited until tomorrow for the write-up.

Thank you :)

Edited by Eject

Very nice :)

Could not only be used to give a good first one, but as contest prizes or even 'job' rewards.  Ie- Build a public tavern, road, etc, get another random/chosen affinity.

1 hour ago, Kyleshandra said:

Very nice :)

Could not only be used to give a good first one, but as contest prizes or even 'job' rewards.  Ie- Build a public tavern, road, etc, get another random/chosen affinity.

Yeah. After I did this though, I found that the ebony wand can be used to assign affinities as well. You just need to be a GM. 

2 hours ago, zethreal said:

Yeah. After I did this though, I found that the ebony wand can be used to assign affinities as well. You just need to be a GM. 

Though i have heard that when either the character relogs or server restarts the affinities are lost...