Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

Better armor/clothing feedback

For as long as I've played Wurm, there's been a bit of confusion about what sort of armor or clothing is effective to what degree. Usually this isn't a big deal, as we just had to remember which armor types were generally effective against what, and which helmets covered the eyes, and that sort of thing.

However, as time goes on and new items get introduced, things get more complicated and hard to answer, leaving us with weird questions like how many of the new wool hats actually provide protection even at cloth level, and if they don't, why not. Seeing as how the effectiveness of a piece of clothing or armor can be extremely counter-intuitive, I feel the game ought to just tell you, on some level, how effective a piece of armor is, or at least what body parts it covers.

I understand that the alternative, which the game currently seems to be going for, is for the armor options to simply make sense intuitively and for the players to figure out the rest. This makes sense if the items make sense, but they don't. For example, from what I've been hearing, a cloth hood counts as (cloth-level) armor, but a wool hat doesn't, which is rather silly. So, I guess my suggestion is for one of the following to happen: Either clothing and armor items need to make some kind of consistent, intuitive sense, or we need the game to tell us what they actually do. Either is fine by me.

cloth is next to naked it matters almost next to nothing anyway

2 hours ago, Cornchips said:

cloth is next to naked it matters almost next to nothing anyway

High-QL cloth and being naked are very different, actually.

Regardless, there are other non-cloth armor and clothing items that aren't quite obvious in how much they do (or don't) protect you, like bear helms and adventurer hats.