Sign in to follow this  
Bramson

Surface Mining: Flatten and Level

Now that we have the ability to flatten and level ceilings ( thank you! changes in the right direction ) ...

Let incorporate the same principle to surface mining. It is about time to let us flatten and level above ground on rock.

• Like 3

+1 or fix climbing: it still turns off randomly when you're mining 20 meters above the ground.

8 minutes ago, zigozag said:

... fix climbing: it still turns off randomly when you're mining 20 meters above the ground.

:o

I've only seen it turn off when you're out of stamina.

Right, and what other condition can you be  in when mining on a high slope? ;)  Still it shouldn't do that if you don't move.

It's totally realistic: you cannot climb when you are out of stamina. No need to change anything.

• Like 1

It's totally realistic to drag a siege shield on sticky wheels behind you that easily stays on smooth vertical rock. Come on, it's nonsense. Also it never happens when tunneling instead of mining, so is most likely  a bug. Do you even surface mine?

Spoiler

Would placing a tub of water or a big pile of grass under the mining spot be realistic enough? I'd say yes to both options.

Edited by zigozag

-1 even though i would love to be able to speed up my current projects and make changing rock so much easier, i get the feeling it would be a bad thing overall.

+1.  Or simply un-nerf surface mining and give us back scaffolding.

Surface mining is intended to be difficult and time-consuming. We don't need it to be easier.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Surface mining is intended to be difficult and time-consuming. We don't need it to be easier.

It already was before the nerf.   Flatten/level would be a good compromise for the nerf. 
./me waits for Ost to say "Well I don't think modifying the rock layer should be easy"

That's not a good compromise at all. The lack of "scaffolding" makes surface mining more annoying for the people who used it, in the situations where it was useful, but that's about it, whereas allowing flatten/level would basically make it as convenient as moving dirt, which is an extremely profound difference in how surface mining would work. This is like saying "you took away our paring knife, so to compensate, can I please have a chainsaw?".

3 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

That's not a good compromise at all. The lack of "scaffolding" makes surface mining more annoying for the people who used it, in the situations where it was useful, but that's about it, whereas allowing flatten/level would basically make it as convenient as moving dirt, which is an extremely profound difference in how surface mining would work. This is like saying "you took away our paring knife, so to compensate, can I please have a chainsaw?".

Or leveling rock could work like leveling clay does........

Using flatten and level would be okay as long as producing a shared and changing the terrain still remain a not every 5 second results but still every once in a while like now. 

• Like 1

Make it a 95 mining skill (and 95 digging?) requirement to use 'level' on rock/cliff and keep the 50% chance at 100 mining skill. Divide chance by number of players levelling the same tile, so 3 players would be 50 / 3 = 16.67% per player. I think with this setup or very similar it would grant the ability to those amongst us whom could create great things with such a feature whilst still protecting the maps from wanton rock layer editing.

Surface mining is supposed to be hard.  I am even more strongly against giving it to high skilled accounts only.  

Surface mining is too easy already. Too easy as in no chance to restore the rock layer above 40 slopes and next to water level. I would only consider making it even more easy after that is changed.

Edited by Jaz