Sign in to follow this  
JockII

The Decline Continues

1 hour ago, akaedis said:

There is, It's called Wurm Unlimited. It's like wurm online, But better AND cheaper!

I dont know about you but inplay games for the full package. And along with that full package one of the most important is as close to a real economy as possible. There are very few games that offer such an economy and wurm unlimited will never even come close to being able to sustain any sort of real value because it simply is not a real MMORPG. 

I will not take away from the fact yes it can be fun to play. Yes there will be great many people who will pick it up and play it for a while but it will never sustain itself like a real live server in terms of the entire package.

Wurm online may have its down sides but im willing to bet so does wurm unlimited.. I know a dozen or so players that no longer play WU and they left WO saying something very similar to your comment. 

@MaurizioAMi woudnt say WU is better but the casual gamer in wo will just scrap the surface even after one year full play.

-just for example i never participated in wo on a slaying becouse i never had the time.

-you cant skill everything in wo becouse you wont have the time (example high FC items)

-to build up a nice deed take ages 

- i couldnt be a priest becouse i could do nothing else anymore 

for me is wu like a revelation and it will be for a long time even with max skillgain and actiontimers wu provides just more than wo.

3 minutes ago, Biervampyr said:

@MaurizioAMi woudnt say WU is better but the casual gamer in wo will just scrap the surface even after one year full play.

-just for example i never participated in wo on a slaying becouse i never had the time.

-you cant skill everything in wo becouse you wont have the time (example high FC items)

for me is wu like a revelation and it will be for a long time even with max skillgain and actiontimers wu provides just more than wo.

It doesnt provide more it just provides some things at a faster rate. That is why i dont knock what WU is good for, it has its own benefits but not one of those benefits are or can ever be a greater economic experience. Thats the difference between a MMORPG version and a public standalone version. Both have their ups and both have their downs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaurizioAM said:

You may let it lapse and you may end up playing a few other games and im willing to bet within a few weeks to 3 months you will be back looking at what wurm is up to. 

There may be some good changes up ahead that you might like and that may benefit you in some ways, perhaps even as a non prem.

Fact remains as much as even I bash wurm for lack of updates or bad knee jerk reaction updates, there still isnt any games on the market quite like Wurm. 

Knowing a bit of what style game play you come from in wurm i can see you may be frustrated and have a sense of no hope and why bother playing. Hopefully one day the right type of changes and player mentality changes get implemented that will bring back that spark for you. Hate to see people who actually like the game for whatever reasoning stop playing, but everyone needs a break every now and then.

The day I sailed off Chaos (with the rest of my Kingdom) was the last time I put any attention into playing with the exception of logging in to talk to people I know. Outside of that I have just been catching up on my library of games that I never finished/started.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alexgopen said:

i think what they're saying is they dont want to pay for something that isnt fun anymore

Example: i wasn't having fun, so i let all my premiums lapse.  if the game appealed to me anymore i would reprem

SO much this!

• Like 1

On 6/27/2016 at 0:27 PM, Alexgopen said:

i think what they're saying is they dont want to pay for something that isnt fun anymore

Example: i wasn't having fun, so i let all my premiums lapse.  if the game appealed to me anymore i would reprem

All im saying is some people not all do it to themselves. A comment for example from Rasu.. He clearly states the day leaving chaos with his kingdom that failed due to various reasons... Reasons including game imbalances, changes or lack of changes etc. 

All im saying is WO offeres something thst makes many many people look back. I feel part of players problems who are leaving is perhaps they do it a little bit to themselves. In a player like rasu case he was playing for the life chaos offeres... Yes his kingdom failed but there are other kingdoms still playing.. There is also the possibility to revamp their kingdom and figure out what theu could of done different. 

At the end of the day you as a person are in control and a game like wurm makes many possibilities if you want it to. The sky is the limit.

The day I sailed off Chaos (with the rest of my Kingdom) was the last time I put any attention into playing with the exception of logging in to talk to people I know. Outside of that I have just been catching up on my library of games that I never finished/started.

COME BACK RASU, COOOOOOME BACK. Please. That is all. 

On 27-6-2016 at 7:53 PM, Biervampyr said:

Yeah it takes ages to build a nice deed, not because it's a complicated fun challenge but because you have to stare at action timers. Staring at action timers for a longer time than necessary does not make the game more fun nor challenging, which is why WU is better.

Edited by Elktazahjr
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, polarbear said:

COME BACK RASU, COOOOOOME BACK. Please. That is all. 

Maybe. But leaning towards no.

1689555256.jpg

Edited by Rasu
  • Like 1

On 4.7.2016 at 3:19 PM, Elktazahjr said:

Yeah it takes ages to build a nice deed, not because it's a complicated fun challenge but because you have to stare at action timers. Staring at action timers for a longer time than necessary does not make the game more fun nor challenging, which is why WU is better.

There is no end to that. No matter how fast action timers would be in WO, then WU would be "better" if it got even faster timers. In virtual world all "obstacles" are artificial. All "scarcity" is artificial. Its all "by design" and game is not worse just because you think the obstacles are boring. You would simply be happier playing game with different obstacles. We do not need to travel, or create items, or find resources, or anything at all. Just like Minecraft creative mode, we could just have abundancy of everything, at maximum quality and have instant teleportation to wherever.

Perhaps this is why kids these days dont go build cottages in the woods anymore. Since you cant just kick a fallen tree *huh huh KABLOBLOB!* and build a cottage *bam bam FANFAR!* 

Remember, no matter how much YOU would like WO to bend to what you prefer. WO has been designed in a particular way and there are players like ME who love WO for what it is. Who is more important to please then? You? Me? We do not matter. Ofcourse my position is much more delightful because I can keep playing the game I like. You cant, because you would only like WO if it would be something it isnt, right now. So you are unhappy and you want game to change for the lousy promise you would then like it.

"Longer than necessary." Sheeeeesh!

• Like 6

I soo much agree with you Raybarg.....Wurm is the only place where you can play a game and actually get the feeling that it matters when you have accomplished something..... besides real life.... You shouldnt try to sell Wurm on low prices/fastbuilding/crazy battles ..... but on "when you enter be ready for an experience of truly realism and indepth leveling".....

See some new players complain about that they die too fast/ doesnt know where to go.... make it so in some kind of intro that they are being aware of the "mechanics" of this game.....realism.... like in real life you just wouldnt stroll around in unknown woods..... but you would take yourself to a more populated area/get to know the plp there....and get they very needed help!!!!.... Then you would/could set out on a journey into unexplored terrain....

This is not a wurm-game problem but is because all other games hold the players hand all through the first phases.....Wurm does NOT...and that is the (good) way of wurm..... But I would be good to let new players know this beforehand.... so they will not try to use the way of gaming they have gotten used to when entering this "game"..

BTW.... the reason for my very few posts is that im a returning player with a new alias..

Edited by Windstan

yea that's why I stopped playing/paying too, because it wasn't fun to me because I let it lapse but there's a plethora of wankers that use it to justify not wanting to play but still want to complain making it sound like they'd suddenly play again or be more happy if they could reduce it back to the old price

9 hours ago, Raybarg said:

bend to what you prefer

Nobody is trying to bend anything, at least as far as i can see. This is a thread about population decline, and people are giving out their reasons... And it's a pretty valid reason for many (ex-)players i think.

I think reducing premium back to the old prices is actually a good idea. Monthly subs are a hard thing to sell people on, and even harder when they can go play a private server for free. I disagree that it wouldn't bring in new players. I know with the new players I was helping setup near where I was premium was a huge issue that was making them lean toward WU instead.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bdew said:

Nobody is trying to bend anything, at least as far as i can see. This is a thread about population decline, and people are giving out their reasons... And it's a pretty valid reason for many (ex-)players i think.

Funny. I think you are correct.

I am going to explain something, which probably is not worth even reading. I do not even know why would I post this. I write replies like this all the time and in the end I just decide not to submit.

Behind every (ex-)player there is a story with multitude of reasons. Simply because they feel like no longer playing (whether they still play or not) does not automatically validate any discontent as valuable for consideration.

(For example) "Timers are too long" does not become valid reason to no longer play Wurm no matter how hard we want that to be the valid reason. Even the subscription cost change does not become valid reason.

Population is not declining because of reasons expressed in thread such as this. This thread represents a snapshot of disgruntlement of arbitrary selection of individuals who express few things what they have problems with the game. Whether or not they still play. 

I cannot know, but I would guess that the bulk of players from "the decline" simply ceased to come around. There is that Wurm icon in their desktop and OS is calculating how many days it has not been used, the links to niarja.com, wum shop, forums, wurm wiki are being buried deeper in the "recently visited" history in their browsers and we will never know why... and that information would be of valuable consideration.

Even if some reasons in this thread would be considered as explaining something about the decline, its being distorted by being just a part of a part of the whole.

No matter how much we did love wurm long time ago, its like eating cake. You eat only cake for very long time and you think about all sort of issues and problems with cakes and think of all kind of reasons for stopping to eat cake. It is individual how long we would keep eating cake before its no longer good. It is individual how long we would be eating the cake even if its no longer good, before quitting completely. There is so many variations and every individual in any variable situation reaching some sort of "breaking treshold" give little different "valid reasons".

• Like 1

Basically it comes down to this. Long time players don't get the same satisfaction as they used to and they start blaming the game(and devs) for it. Using this as guideline to "fix" the game is stupid.

Reasons this game sucks:

ZERO fidelity in development and moderation. This is the #1 reason why people run from this game these days.

Limited choice for the PvP servers. Call it meta if you want, however, I look at it from the perspective of a customer who goes into a store and the shelves are full of the same product. Overloading the game with lots of meaningless choices does not increase variety.

An inability or unwillingness to remove advantages gained by verified and acknowledged exploits.

An inability or unwillingness to reset servers to remove gross advantages by players that invest more time in the game than others. This is a hotly contested point. My thoughts remain solidly in the camp that asks for periodic resets of whole servers to wipe the slate clean and let everyone enjoy a fresh start. Having more time to play the game than others does not equal more skill in PvP. However, some super buffed accounts can not be overcome, and in reality that is what kills PvP more than anything.

There is more, but I think this is enough for now to let the delusional fanboys to flame for a few more days.

Edited by Pinchaloaf

On 7/7/2016 at 9:25 PM, Pinchaloaf said:

Reasons this game sucks:

ZERO fidelity in development and moderation. This is the #1 reason why people run from this game these days.

Limited choice for the PvP servers. Call it meta if you want, however, I look at it from the perspective of a customer who goes into a store and the shelves are full of the same product. Overloading the game with lots of meaningless choices does not increase variety.

An inability or unwillingness to remove advantages gained by verified and acknowledged exploits.

An inability or unwillingness to reset servers to remove gross advantages by players that invest more time in the game than others. This is a hotly contested point. My thoughts remain solidly in the camp that asks for periodic resets of whole servers to wipe the slate clean and let everyone enjoy a fresh start. Having more time to play the game than others does not equal more skill in PvP. However, some super buffed accounts can not be overcome, and in reality that is what kills PvP more than anything.

There is more, but I think this is enough for now to let the delusional fanboys to flame for a few more days.

Are they running? OK. This tearjerker thread is still alive.

For your information (which seems to solid, and so well informed)... I came back to wurm a year ago, and still going strong. 5 Months ago I got Angora involved, New player, he is going strong. His brother joined us last night. My neighbours (Payu and co) is going strong, and stronger, and old players and new, are moving into our marina.

So don't tell me "running"... the problem is, if you have such a bitter, sad, unhappy time, take your ###### and go. it's really really simple.

You'll find that there's only, ever, problems (and "contested points" apparently???) on the forums. The rest of the people are actually logged in, and playing, and they don't have problems. Stay off the forums, and play, and you'll see how problems just go away. Ivory tower self entitlement is a terrible thing to waste.

Edited by Marlon
  • Like 2

As a PvP player Wurm is very disappointing in terms of the options being offered. I've got a choice between dead epic server, dead chaos server which has been out for wayy to long and is filled with ridiculously OP chars that are quite literally impossible to catch up to. Or I can go to Wurm Unlimited where there is very little PvP options. Frankly I don't even want to go back to the same old servers / maps with the same old villages and OP accounts, even if they weren't dead.

[17:24:07] 10 other players are online. You are on Wyvern pvp (105 totally in Wurm).

This is Wyvern PvP right now, aka the largest WU server.

Unless something big changes or something new is offered from a PvP perspective, then I wont be returning, even though I actually want to.

Edited by MightySheep

15 hours ago, MightySheep said:

As a PvP player Wurm is very disappointing in terms of the options being offered. I've got a choice between dead epic server, dead chaos server which has been out for wayy to long and is filled with ridiculously OP chars that are quite literally impossible to catch up to. Or I can go to Wurm Unlimited where there is very little PvP options. Frankly I don't even want to go back to the same old servers / maps with the same old villages and OP accounts, even if they weren't dead.

This is Wyvern PvP right now, aka the largest WU server.

Unless something big changes or something new is offered from a PvP perspective, then I wont be returning, even though I actually want to.

It's well known Wyvern inflates their numbers, 10 online sounds about right for them.

Other servers hit upwards of 60 during the week and 100 on weekends, not to mention desolation tends to score pretty big during its limited runs

my thoughts on all this are simple.

if you don't like a feature, make a post in the suggestions thread, if enough people agree with you there is a chance it gets implemented.

if you want a new feature, make a post in the suggestions thread, if enough people agree with you there is a chance it gets implemented.

if you don't like this game, then stop playing it and go away! (i would like to have your stuff contact me in game)

if you don't play this game any more because you stopped liking it, stop posting on the forums trying to convince others this game sucks.

maybe the moderators can make a little corner for somewhere on the forum where ex players can ###### and moan about a game they don't play.

The real fact of the matter is that there is a decline and the devs are working breakneck to slow or reverse it.

Everyone has their reason, or what they believe is the reason.  The real reason is simple, MMOs have moved out of the limelight in favour of console games and because of this new player influx is far lower than it used to be.  Those who turn to the PC are usually looking for a cheaper alernative and a subscription based game does not offer that alternative.

A good move for wurm might be to change to a buy to play model (take a look at how LiF is planning to do theirs),

Edited by Etherdrifter

4 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

The real reason is simple, MMOs have moved out of the limelight in favour of console games and because of this new player influx is far lower than it used to be.

Consoles?  Seriously?

A PC is not a "cheap alternative".  A PC is a console that lasts for longer than 1 year before the next latest and greatest Playstation 57 hits retail stores at Christmas.  PC gaming has a longer life span than consoles these days, but when you look at the reign of the NES (1986? - ~1996) compare it to whether you actually believe people will still be playing on the PS4's 10 years from now.  Not...gonna...happen.

11 hours ago, SeeD said:

It's well known Wyvern inflates their numbers, 10 online sounds about right for them.

Other servers hit upwards of 60 during the week and 100 on weekends, not to mention desolation tends to score pretty big during its limited runs

[18:33:33] 32 other players are online. You are on Wyvern pvp (126 totally in Wurm).
[17:32:00] 92 other players are online. You are on Wyvern (126 totally in Wurm).

CA Tab: 70~ Players

My Local tab:

Chiba
Chibaalteight
Chibaalteighteen
Chibaalteleven
Chibaaltfifteen
Chibaaltfive
Chibaaltfour
Chibaaltfourteen
Chibaaltnine
Chibaaltnineteen