Sign in to follow this  
JockII

The Decline Continues

19 minutes ago, SeeD said:

Remember when everyone claimed wurm was dying and everyone argued about it on the forums and suddenly became CEO's and developers and advertising gurus and masters of business and knew how to fix everything, but it turned out it wasnt dying and it was business as usual? 

a.k.a. every other month

remember when this was last posted and you and thirteen other people posted the exact same thing and the decline has been nothing but steady and the population has been going steadily down? and then just because the thread like this one that gets made every other month got locked you assumed it changed for the better? sorry to burst your bubble, but no, it's still dying/in sharp decline.

ive been playing since long before this game was officially released and just a few months ago the decline was the worst it had ever been, ever. it's steadied out since then, but its still a sharp decline and doesn't seem to be slowing down except on the servers where the population is already at rock bottom like epic.

316 thousand tiles per player is a joke kek

Edited by Propheteer

game won't die before I have magranons scar finished :P (i don't care if i'm the only player left by then)

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Miretta said:

game won't die before I have magranons scar finished :P (i don't care if i'm the only player left by then)

If you and I are the only ones left playing Wurm Online.

I'll help you finish Magranon's Scar.

But only if we're the last ones in Wurm.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dairuka said:

Ah you might be out of it then because I'm not going anywhere. lol

Extreme! Wipe everything. Come up with some formula to turn what you have into silver and and stats into bonuses, something so you aren't starting from scratch. Release one server for pve and one for pvp. Improve the fail rates early on. Maybe tweak the grind a tad bit, not much.

Cap how long a deed's upkeep can be paid. That way there isn't tons of paid for but empty space because someone quit but has a year left on their upkeep. Make it 60 days or something. Remove decay if upkeep is paid, but as soon as upkeep drops crank up the decay so everything is gone in a couple of week. New players tend to wander around and the friends I have brought in do not enjoy pre-terraformed land. Changing the land from the wild into the organized is one of the things that makes Wurm different. 

Maybe, maybe, maybe add in some sort of port between starter towns. I love the travel in this game, but have had a couple of friends quit just because moving from place to place and take hours and hours. Make it so I can port to a major market even if just once a week and I think it would help the economy. Maybe set up some sort of "trade caravans" or something and join major markets, even if you have to wait on the goods. We can all sit here and say we love Wurm as it is, but if you are looking at appealing to a broader audience, speed is the thing you have to improve... Otherwise, half the population wouldn't be in WU right now...

15 hours ago, Senitor said:

To attract more players you need to lessen the skill grind in Wurm Online (whether you like it or not)

Here's a tale of my two nephews and Wurm. Both of them play a lot of games and are good at them. Their personalities are very different though. The youngest one saw me playing Wurm and wanted to try it. This was back before you could teleport once. So he set up his character, I rode to Green Dog to get him, gave him better starter gear, etc. This was the first day. Then my mayor and I made a deed for him and put a house on it for shelter, so if he wanted to build he could mess around there and do whatever he wanted. The next time he logged in this was all ready for him. My sister doesn't give them tons of gaming time so the grind to build a first house would have been prohibitive. So then I was at my sister's house again, and he and I sat together playing so I could show him how to do some things.

His older brother saw us playing and wanted to try it. I said please wait, I want to finish showing these things and I can't run to get you right now. He said he would just come to us. I said you will never find us and you'll be killed on the way (my area is very hard to find). He said 'bet me that I can't find you.' So I said ok fine. I figured it would be ok for him to lose his starter gear, and he had no skills to lose upon death so no big deal. In a very short time, I see him in local, and he asked me for some extra directions to find exactly where we were. So within ten minutes he did what it took me months to be good at.

So now they wanted some action. I couldn't find mobs, so I said let's open up this cave, it collapses a lot and every time I open it it's filled with monsters. So the three of us start bashing the collapsed square. You know, the kind of collapsed square that's about 45-52ish actions to remove. The older nephew goes, 'what the hell is this,' and never logged in again. 50/3 and he was disgusted already.

The other nephew ran around his house having a blast; somehow he tamed a dog right away (which is still alive now over a year and I feed it in his memory). He located a goblin spawner and showed me it; he started making tools, etc. He played frequently until my adult griefing neighbor started browbeating him for being friends with me (which he tried on all my friends), and then the younger nephew stopped playing.

I've seen this pattern again and again - either people quitting from the dull grind, or leaving after condoned griefing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dairuka said:

I had to count the syllables.

This looked like a haiku.

12 minutes ago, LorraineJ said:

I've seen this pattern again and again - either people quitting from the dull grind, or leaving after condoned griefing.

I do love the grind (because I don't grind), but I would love to see the griefing and general nastiness that occasionally pops up cracked down on. I would love to get my nieces into Wurm, but I'm going to wait until they are adults, because they would leave after some of the things I have seen. 

Still waiting for that combat overhaul update promised a year ago, i think it could potentially bring in more pvpers into the game. #MakeWurmPvpGreatAgain

41 minutes ago, LorraineJ said:

I had to count the syllables.

This looked like a haiku.

If you and I are what's left,

with Magranon's Scar.

We'll finish it together.

However, this will only,

be reality,

if we are all that is left.

Edited by Dairuka
Shenanigans.
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, Pandalet said:

While the attempt to monetise Skyrim mods caused a lot of anger, that's not what I'm referring to, and isn't relevant to this discussion.  I'm referring to the requirement that you have Steam to play Skyrim, which was a new thing (Oblivion didn't require it), which caused some irritation.  There are a number of people who, for whatever reason, prefer not to play their games through Steam.  Hence my point that making Steam and absolute requirement would be a mistake.

Offering it as an option on Steam might work, assuming the costs etc. work out, so long as it's only one of several options.

you're sitting there talking about "premium subscription" when nothing like that had ever remotely happened, closest thing was the monetization of mods so your entire argument was lost in translation

and the people that threw a fit? hey, it was a small minority, maybe it feels much larger to you because it was probs you and your friends or something but trust it was a hella small minority, not everyone will want to use steam, not everyone likes digital distribution, but it worked for skyrim, and has worked for plenty of other games.

so many people see steam as a convenience, if it wasnt so then people wouldnt be using it, and no, digital distribution wasnt new to bethesda games, fallout 3 was only ever on Game For Windows Live until that service hit the can, you want that as an alternative?

you may dislike steam, but it's much easier for devs to work on and update their games through steam, there are plenty sound decisions for why it is required now for most games, that is convenience and developer usability 

Edited by Huntar
  • Like 1

I don't play anymore because the PvP servers suck. Money ain't got a damned thing to do with it. For all I care, the 40 or so people with the high end accounts can stroke themselves all day long on Epic. And I have a decent account, and have made a few other decent accounts there and on Chaos over the years. The PvP servers ain't no fun when there is little competition because alls you need to do is buy an old account that has been passed around for years and go out curb stomping some noobs.

18 month full wipe resets on a PvP server with accounts locked to the originating email address.

<drops mic>

make a new forums, release a new island / server and pray the volunteers will keep doing what they're doing.  I got it sorted

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NeeNee said:

I do love the grind (because I don't grind), but I would love to see the griefing and general nastiness that occasionally pops up cracked down on. I would love to get my nieces into Wurm, but I'm going to wait until they are adults, because they would leave after some of the things I have seen. 

that was also often a reason for me to take a break from wurm, because of drama :o I try to avoid it, but it seems it's not just a wurm phenomenon...over the last years it seems the amount of people in mmorpgs that are frustrated and unsatisfied with their own lives whom need to somehow use ingame griefing and drama as compensation has drastically increased :/ in every multiplayer game

Edited by Miretta
  • Like 1

As far as the decline in WO player accounts is concerned there is little doubt that the release of Wurm Unlimited is the reason. I still play WO but from 3 premium accounts I am now down to 1 and 1 deed on 1 server, down from the many I had previously. Even with a quite high level character remaining in WO the difference in what I can accomplish within WU with a much lower one is very dramatic since it far surpasses what my high level character here can do time wise.

There is little doubt that many other former WO players have gone to WU in order to continue to play the game in an even more enjoyable way. Wurm has always held that special allure for them and they have just switched over to this other version which provides more the same on a less time consuming basis. No doubt if WU had not been released I would still be here plodding along as usual with the same number of premiums and deeds.

As for the game "dying" that is something that will not happen until the god of Wurm lets it do so, which of course is beyond any players ability to prevent or even reduce the symptoms of which they imagine to be true. Meanwhile I suggest that the journey within be enjoyed since none knows what tomorrow will bring, nor in this instance that they can do anything about it.

Some amusing comments here brought a broad smile and chuckle, so that in the least has made it all worthwhile.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Miretta said:

that was also often a reason for me to take a break from wurm, because of drama :o I try to avoid it, but it seems it's not just a wurm phenomenon...over the last years it seems the amount of people in mmorpgs that are frustrated and unsatisfied with their own lives whom need to somehow use ingame griefing and drama as compensation has drastically increased :/ in every multiplayer game

i got sick of drama in wurm when i played on celebration so i moved to epic and there was no drama because if someone's starting trouble you take a catapult to their deed :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayes said:

As far as the decline in WO player accounts is concerned there is little doubt that the release of Wurm Unlimited is the reason.

Whenever I look at the number of players in the WU launcher I wonder where all the "certainly off to WU" players are... the numbers don't really add up. So the question is: where did everyone go? What better game did I miss? :P

13 minutes ago, Eltaran said:

Whenever I look at the number of players in the WU launcher I wonder where all the "certainly off to WU" players are... the numbers don't really add up. So the question is: where did everyone go? What better game did I miss? :P

3 minutes ago, zigozag said:

Tried that with little success. It's too much of a grind to get anything done there. Even sleeping is a chore!

• Like 1

Not mainly games that are Wurm online like except for Minecraft (Mostly soloplayer), Life is Feudal(Buggy), and Ark Survivial (Tend to have lots of cheating issues)

So the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Issues with WU is that its based on MMO at the moment, which isn't that fun when a lot of people play Solo Server or in small groups.

On 11. April 2016 at 2:05 PM, Eltaran said:

You forget that 500-600 wu players count for several thousands alt Spamming Wurm Players :-) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alexgopen said:

i got sick of drama in wurm when i played on celebration so i moved to epic and there was no drama because if someone's starting trouble you take a catapult to their deed :)

thats working well, until internally talks about "spies" and stuff starts :P besides that the drama i was talking about is usually interpersonal instead of game based (or atleast i tend to see it that way, because it's not the games fault that players tend to disagree and fight with each other over who should own what piece of land stuff and so on.

Edited by Miretta

Just now, Miretta said:

thats working well, until internally talks about "spies" and stuff starts :P

Good point (and amusing since you were responding to the master spy himself).

• Like 1

Have to say, wurm is a game that has a monetary value to a lot of its players. Of course not everyone thinks this way, but you can buy a lot of accounts and items for either silver or real life currency.

I, for instance, have lacked the time to play WO since November. A few weeks ago I decided it's time to sell off all my stuff while it's still worth anything. With the decline of subscriptions I saw potential buyers leave.

With the money I earned by selling all my WO stuff I could buy over 60 copies of Wurm Unlimited. I still don't see any official WO strategy. What's there to make people stay, when they can buy WU once and play the game forever while they are limited to 4 months of premium in WO for the same money.

I'd say there's absolutely no logic behind it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Balmore said:

Have to say, wurm is a game that has a monetary value to a lot of its players. Of course not everyone thinks this way, but you can buy a lot of accounts and items for either silver or real life currency.

I, for instance, have lacked the time to play WO since November. A few weeks ago I decided it's time to sell off all my stuff while it's still worth anything. With the decline of subscriptions I saw potential buyers leave.

With the money I earned by selling all my WO stuff I could buy over 60 copies of Wurm Unlimited. I still don't see any official WO strategy. What's there to make people stay, when they can buy WU once and play the game forever while they are limited to 4 months of premium in WO for the same money.

I'd say there's absolutely no logic behind it.

That's also part of the problem with WO. Since so much is tied to real money and people "invest" into the game, many don't take it very well when crazy, unexpected changes suddenly make them lose money (fountain pans, traders, sudden announcement of WU). One of the best features for me in WU is so far there is really no monetary connection like there is in WO.

• Like 1