Sign in to follow this  
JockII

The Decline Continues

lol That chart's actually better looking than I thought it would be and actually shows Wurm's not dying. A decline in players? Yes. Still a healthy player base? Also yes!

2 minutes ago, Lotus1 said:

lol That chart's actually better looking than I thought it would be and actually shows Wurm's not dying. A decline in players? Yes. Still a healthy player base? Also yes!

>3k is a healthy playerbase for a game with 12 servers

9 minutes ago, Elktazahjr said:

>3k is a healthy playerbase for a game with 12 servers

12 servers is a fact that honestly cant be changed, do you think the players will up and move happily or just quit? All for the sake of what? looking more busy? Costs to run them arent that high at all, as long as players are on them, then theyre going to stay

There are busy servers and quiet ones, Dont ask the game to force you to live on a busy server or force people closer

Edited by SeeD
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lotus1 said:

Healthy....? :huh:

3k subscribers? (not even online count)

wat.

5 minutes ago, SeeD said:

12 servers is a fact that honestly cant be changed, do you think the players will up and move happily or just quit? All for the sake of what? looking more busy? Costs to run them arent that high at all, as long as players are on them, then theyre going to stay

There are busy servers and quiet ones, Dont ask the game to force you to live on a busy server or force people closer

I havent even mentioned anything about too many servers, I simply said that 3k is not a lot, at all, considering we have a "big" game with 12 servers.

Edited by Elktazahjr

1 minute ago, Zekezor said:

Healthy....? :huh:

3k subscribers? (not even online count)

wat.

Considering it's still profiting, its healthy

healthy 3k players

lets say 600 online at any given time, what are there, 12 servers? thats like 50 players a server? admittedly thats not the case, the majority of them are lower than half that at any given time and some are higher than that, but it looks pretty grim

11 minutes ago, Propheteer said:

healthy 3k players

lets say 600 online at any given time, what are there, 12 servers? thats like 50 players a server? admittedly thats not the case, the majority of them are lower than half that at any given time and some are higher than that, but it looks pretty grim

Right. lets take a look here.

369ace5c85.png (17:35 GMT+2)

A list of our "healthy" community.

servers ranked from Populated --> Ghost town.

1. Exodus. 4194304 tiles. 59.918 tiles/player
  2. Deliverance. 4194304 tiles. 60.787 tiles/player
  3. Pristine. 4194304 tiles. 93.206 tiles/player
  4. Celebration. 4194304 tiles. 113.359 tiles/player
  5. Release. 4194304 tiles. 123.361 tiles/player
  6. Independance. 88 players. 16777216 tiles.190.650 tiles/player
  7. Chaos. 53 players. 16777216 tiles. 316.551 tiles/player
  8. Xanadu. 67108864 tiles. 324.197 tiles/player
  9. Epic. 46 players. 29360128 tiles. 638.263 tiles/player

Now for the hell of it. lets say that Exodus (the most populated server at the time of the screenshoot) is the "norm". Lets see how other servers population is comparable to that.

1. Exodus 100%
  2. Deliverance 98.57%
  3. Pristine 64.28%
  4. Celebration 52.85%
  5. Release 48.57%
  6. Independance 31.42%
  7. Chaos 18.92%
  8. Xanadu 18.48%
  9. Epic 9.38%
Edited by Zekezor

5 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

Right. lets take a look here.

369ace5c85.png (17:35 GMT+2)

A list of our "healthy" community.

servers ranked from Populated --> Ghost town.

1. Exodus. 4194304 tiles. 59.918 tiles/player
  2. Deliverance. 4194304 tiles. 60.787 tiles/player
  3. Pristine. 4194304 tiles. 93.206 tiles/player
  4. Celebration. 4194304 tiles. 113.359 tiles/player
  5. Release. 4194304 tiles. 123.361 tiles/player
  6. Independance. 88 players. 16777216 tiles.190.650 tiles/player
  7. Chaos. 53 players. 16777216 tiles. 316.551 tiles/player
  8. Xanadu. 67108864 tiles. 324.197 tiles/player
  9. Epic. 46 players. 29360128 tiles. 638.263 tiles/player

I couldn't be happier myself. Awesome elbow room, feels like a bonafide Frontier... which is why I play Wurm, and why I play it on Xanadu. Frontiers are gone forever in real world, got to find them in the virtual.

(hint: to me this is a selling point, NOT a negative, too bad more people that play online virtual world games don't know how much room we have in Wurm, maybe this is an advertising point right here)

Edited by geode

5 minutes ago, geode said:

(hint: to me this is a selling point, NOT a negative, too bad more people that play online virtual world games don't know how much room we have in Wurm, maybe this is an advertising point right here)

then you might aswell buy wurm unlimited and set up a single player server, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

I play mmo's to meet and interact with other people, not to see one player per 300 tiles.

Yes guys. It is healthy. You may not believe this but once upon a time we had less subscribers than now. Did the game die then?

What's even the point in saying "Wurm's going to die"? To troll? To grab attention? I don't get it.

Edited by Lotus1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lotus1 said:

Yes guys. It is healthy. You may not believe this but once upon a time we had less subscribers than now. Did the game die then?

>once upon a time everything was even worse than now, therefore everything is good now.

4 minutes ago, Lotus1 said:

Well I hate to break it to ya, but dependant on if the subscribe count is slowly rising or slowly falling while that low makes a huge diffrense.

And only having like 3-4 servers instead of 12 helps a ton in making it feel "alive".

Serenity alone (about 14.28% of epics landmass) used to have over 120 at peak time... the entire cluster now has ~40-60 at peaktime...

Edited by Zekezor

Know what negatively impacts a game? Players complaining on the forums that its dead, acting like every decision they dont agree with is the worst decision in the world, and generally sitting around hoping the game dies so they can say "i was right"

Toxic players kill games far faster than many other things can

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Elktazahjr said:

then you might aswell buy wurm unlimited and set up a single player server, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

I play mmo's to meet and interact with other people, not to see one player per 300 tiles.

As I said earlier in this thread I will NOT use STEAM. Period. But thank you for trying to assist me.

• Like 1

Just now, Zekezor said:

Well I hate to break it to ya, but dependant on if the subscribe count is slowly rising or slowly falling while that low makes a huge diffrense.

And only having like 3-4 servers instead of 12 helps a ton in making it feel "alive".

Except during those times there were declines in subscribers. Look at when servers would open. The playerbase would increase than slowly decrease each time.

Just because the subscriber count is dying doesn't mean the game's dying. When a sports team loses for a while the fanbase attending the game depletes, it doesn't mean the team's dying. When a business makes less sales of a product, yet still sells the product, the business isn't dead. (I still see CD stores around even)

So to say at this point that "Wurm is dying"..... all it is is a guess. It's not fact. It's a guess and a vague one at that at this point.

• Like 2

Wow, look at all of these non-business-owners telling a business owner how to run his business. And almost universally, that advice involves him giving away his product to them for free. If you didn't know any better, you'd think there's some sort of ulterior motive there.

As an adult with a job who doesn't have to raid mommy's purse every time I buy premium, I have to say that the price is barely a blip on the radar. Unless your primary source of income involves mowing your neighbors' lawns or selling cups of lemonade in front of your house, the price isn't likely to deter you if you actually like the game. Instead, maybe consider that Wurm is a niche game relying almost solely on word-of-mouth advertising in order to bring in new people, and that these constant threads about "the end times" do nothing but demotivate the people we do have and make them want to abandon this ship before it sinks?

Edited by Fawkes
  • Like 8

I am not sure how accurate the site is but according to SteamSpy there are 31,000 people that still own WU so at $20 to $30 a pop i don't think Rolf is hurting that much. I am sure they are working hard to figure out new ways to grow the company and they are most likely selling new copies of WU every day too so i don't think it is as bad as some of you might believe.    

Again i have no idea but looking at the numbers shown in SteamSpy this will most likely be the best year that company has ever had. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

Wurm Online may be dying now, but I believe there is still hope. This isn't the first decline in Wurm Onilne's history. Remember that time things were declining years ago, and then Rolf and co made big changes like multistory and customizable characters, then the playercount skyrocketed? All it takes are some ground breaking updates, and people will come back. I'm surley waiting.

Someone suggested different tiers of premium with different caps of skill. I think like a 3 dollar a month premium for capping out your skills at 30 or 35 would be great.

Throwing down 16 dollars for a couple months of a game you're unsure of (but enjoying so far) is a bit daunting. A few dollars, though...that's a different story. That's just ordering a softdrink at a restaurant.

And once you get people spending money (however little it is), it's much easier for them to continue spending and spend more.

• Like 3

Remember when everyone claimed wurm was dying and everyone argued about it on the forums and suddenly became CEO's and developers and advertising gurus and masters of business and knew how to fix everything, but it turned out it wasnt dying and it was business as usual? 

a.k.a. every other month

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hailene said:

Someone suggested different tiers of premium with different caps of skill. I think like a 3 dollar a month premium for capping out your skills at 30 or 35 would be great.

Throwing down 16 dollars for a couple months of a game you're unsure of (but enjoying so far) is a bit daunting. A few dollars, though...that's a different story. That's just ordering a softdrink at a restaurant.

And once you get people spending money (however little it is), it's much easier for them to continue spending and spend more.

Now this is an idea I think Rolf should consider. +1 for specifically this suggestion.

3 minutes ago, Hailene said:

vs the FREE 20 skillcap?

1 minute ago, SeeD said:

vs the FREE 20 skillcap?

There's many more restrictions to a free to play Wurm account than just that. Loss of Stats gain, inability to do things like bash a fence you put in wrong place, ride a horse, etc. Hailene's suggestion of allowing 3 dollar (a suggested price) a month for 30 skill would allow bashing, using sailboat and above, horseriding and commanding a cart because the Skills and Stats would be capped at 30 instead of 20.... but there would still be the cap and many things they could not do WELL and that would be the incentive to pay more for a higher cap or go premium in full.

For some the cost of premium AND a deed is a little steep, but Hailene's suggestions would allow a player to financially ease into playing Wurm and have a deed too.

• Like 1