Sign in to follow this  
JockII

The Decline Continues

year

Still waiting on the rescue plan. Even Dev's are starting to leave.

• Like 2

Best thing for Wurm would be for you and all the final remaining doom and gloom gang to move on to WoW.  \o

I'm quite enjoying all the updates and work the devs are doing for the game now.

• Like 23

it will continue to decline also.. unless changes are made...  maybe lower prices<back to 5$> .  a better dragon fighting/loot situation... more balanced priest.  dunno all sorts of things to consider ... to help improve wurm online

Edited by Tikki

getting people to play wurm is simple, release wurm online on steam with a promotional bundle pack (clever new item maybe) also use steam for the subscription system

bam, you can thank me later.

I'd pay good money also if you made a cosmetic shop, look at the Plumed helmet on auctions, really just hire me as a marketer ;)

hint: I'd accept sleep powder.

Edited by Niki
  • Like 4

Tbh I think Rolf may want to think about reversing price hike he implemented last year. he may lose money in the short term but in the long run I feel as though it'd be a good choice. I'm sure there are a myriad of things that need to be done to "rescue" Wurm but I think that would be a good start.

Less we forget!~

<Retrograde> Now I have received a lot of questions and suggestions based around the current premium model, are there any plans to change that?
<Rolf> yeah I've read a lot of suggestions for that as well
<Rolf> it's risky to change especially since we're losing subscribers
<Rolf> and unless we gain a lot of new subscribers we'll only lose money
<Rolf> which isn't really good for anyone i'd say
<Rolf> so we have to consider such steps carefully of course

8 minutes ago, Emoo said:

Tbh I think Rolf may want to think about reversing price hike he implemented last year. he may lose money in the short term but in the long run I feel as though it'd be a good choice. I'm sure there are a myriad of things that need to be done to "rescue" Wurm but I think that would be a good start.

You mean the one introduced three years ago?

Just now, SeeD said:

You mean the one introduced three years ago?

I'm talking in Emu years of course. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Emoo said:

I would so prem up more character with this. I have been known to prem many characters before, but these days with many more games to play, I don't want to spend that money on extra characters at that price these days.

• Like 1

So many things the devs could do to increase overall quality of life, simple things that really would be switches to turn on. Lower the cost would be nice for sure.

Edited by Niki

46 minutes ago, Niki said:

getting people to play wurm is simple, release wurm online on steam with a promotional bundle pack (clever new item maybe) also use steam for the subscription system

bam, you can thank me later.

I'd pay good money also if you made a cosmetic shop, look at the Plumed helmet on auctions, really just hire me as a marketer ;)

hint: I'd accept sleep powder.

Yup, easy of access would help a lot and steam gives that.. We have seen with WU that even though Wurm is a niche game, it has gotten positive reviews by outsiders. THey know how to do the steam thing as done  with WU. SO, now it's time to put WO up there too. People would now see the online version, that many people never knew existed.

people talk about doom and gloom for ages, eventually the predictions catch up :)

Edited by Snoo

4 minutes ago, Snoo said:

people talk about doom and gloom for ages, eventually the predictions catch up :)

If you tell someone theyre going to die every day and they eventually die, does that make you right, or just a jerk?

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, SeeD said:

If you tell someone theyre going to die every day and they eventually die, does that make you right, or just a jerk?

not really the same situation tho

• Like 1

Wurm needs an actual experienced CEO - someone that can make the hard strategic decisions and can prioritize decisions just like in a game of chess thinking 5 moves ahead - dropping the prem price or changing the whole prem model all together is something that makes a lot of sense financially in the long run

Unfortunately Rolf cannot do that, as no matter how long hes run his company, its still his baby and he will be very biased in the decisions he will make - a seasoned CEO is not cheap, true - but can actually take wurm out of the decline it's been set into

Heck, even I can be a better candidate at the moment as I am doing this for a living more or less :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thorakkanath said:

Wurm needs an actual experienced CEO - someone that can make the hard strategic decisions and can prioritize decisions just like in a game of chess thinking 5 moves ahead - dropping the prem price or changing the whole prem model all together is something that makes a lot of sense financially in the long run

Unfortunately Rolf cannot do that, as no matter how long hes run his company, its still his baby and he will be very biased in the decisions he will make - a seasoned CEO is not cheap, true - but can actually take wurm out of the decline it's been set into

Heck, even I can be a better candidate at the moment as I am doing this for a living more or less :)

You are "more or less" a CEO of a company? Because I'm more or less the Pope and I'm glad to help anyone that needs guidance.

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Milosanx said:

Yup, easy of access would help a lot and steam gives that.. We have seen with WU that even though Wurm is a niche game, it has gotten positive reviews by outsiders. THey know how to do the steam thing as done  with WU. SO, now it's time to put WO up there too. People would now see the online version, that many people never knew existed.

I refuse to play WU simply because it's on STEAM. I won't use any "service" like STEAM (and Origin, etc., etc.). WU is already on STEAM for those who chose to use it.

but whether I play or not is irrelevant, nowadays losing a customer means nothing and no one cares, what matters is how many others feel as I do and play on WO still because they want to avoid using STEAM?

Edited by geode
  • Like 7

There's never a overnight miracle cure in any business, I'm happy with the game overall its constantly releasing updates and new features.

In regards to premium you get a'lot for your money, its only 6.67 euros a month if your paying it yearly. and its not really that hard to earn your premium just from playing.

Between myself and my kids there's seven premium accounts, it maybe adds up but its still my choice we could easily just play on one or two accounts.

• Like 1

Requiring Steam to have a premium sub isn't a great idea.  Possibly adding it as an option, but making Steam an absolute pre-requisite? No thank you.  Go have a look at the public irritation Skyrim had.

• Like 1

Just now, Pandalet said:

Requiring Steam to have a premium sub isn't a great idea.  Possibly adding it as an option, but making Steam an absolute pre-requisite? No thank you.  Go have a look at the public irritation Skyrim had.

what

Skyrim's irritation wasn't at all about it being on Steam, it was the fact Valve made an attempt to monetize the modding community, requiring people to pay for certain mods and whatnot if the modders chose for such.

That action was quickly undone, with an apology made by Valve and the mistake was acknowledged.

Wurm would have no benefit being on Steam, the subscription base client is perfectly fine where it's at. The problem lies within the game itself and the communication of the devs who are so outrageously out of touch with their dying community.

• Like 4

Steam could certainly help, without making steam required. There are plenty of games on steam which have their own launcher while they are also on steam, just some recent examples are Warthunder and Warframe. Those two don't even auto update through steam, steam just starts the game's client and you can also start said client even if steam isn't running. You can also still download the client directly from their own site, so steam is entirely optional. Effectively for those two games Steam is simply one of several sales platforms that they're using. Then you'd just need some optional way to bind a Wurm account to a steam account so people can buy silver/premium through steam. Existing players wouldn't be affected in any way while sales and the active player count could end up improving.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pandalet said:

People hated the monetisation of mods. (which was reverted, cuz ya kno, they realised people didnt like that and thus promptly fixed it instead of letting it linger around for many many months *cough cough*)

People LOVE that its available on steam and they LOVE steams workshop features (iow apply a mod with a little click without having to use 3rd party sites and softwares).

TLDR: You have no idea what you speak of.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 1

Well the game numbers are about half what they were and the WU numbers are that half if you add them up the numbers on at a time are the same as they were so it looks like he lost the players to his own game. It is not like they are gone they are just playing WU. Now was WU the right choice who knows only he can answer that we don't know what he made/makes off that compared to what he lost.  

As far as reducing the premium i don't think that would help at all. It might make it so that the players that are playing now can have more alts but i don't think it would bring in NEW players. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 2

Heh, Steam is full of games, that are struggling. Steam isn't magic wand, that makes or breaks the games. Let's face it, average Steam gamer isn't really target group of Wurm.

• Like 2

Steam isn't free, as they would take a portion of the subs, and coin bought,around 30% of it

Also a lot of the player decline is caused by a lack of expansions lately, and not testing Xanu and bridges heavily before making them live.

Plus a lot of coin was removed from the game by the Traders nerfs which made it harder to play for free, as a lot of Subs were generated by this.

• Like 1