Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Unique Hunt change - yes, another idea...

Always with the love & hate around uniques and justified on all sides, so how can we make it work?

#1 - Change Valrei to be a simple percent chance to be auto bestowed on anyone that scored a hit.  No more a lootable item.  No more a sellable item.  If you score a hit, you have a 1% chance (or whatever) of being gifted some random valrei skill.

#2 - Scale/hide/blood.  All prem accounts in local get a piece of scale/hide and it is the exact same weight, regardless of 10 or 100 people in local.  Blood - no changes really need to be made, other than fixing them to all work properly when imbuing weapons & tools.

#3 - Butchered loot - Trophies only, that offer no game advantage, just cosmeticly worn or for decorating a house/cart/boat.  Yes, I want a real dragon head on the front of my knarr, plus a speedo made out of a kyklops eyelid.

#4 - (possible option) Once a unique is found and penned, the finders schedule a kill time and relay that to a forum mod, who posts for all to attend.  Should always be a minimum of 24 hours after notifying the FM.

Take the high RL monetary value out of the equation and any reason to make it small, then nobody gives a doo doo if 100 people show up to play.  Bigger groups are a great way to meet new people, show off cool armor, get some fatty sermons and trade goods.  (just need to control lag I suppose).

-Wurmhole

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

Always with the love & hate around uniques and justified on all sides, so how can we make it work?

#1 - Change Valrei to be a simple percent chance to be auto bestowed on anyone that scored a hit.  No more a lootable item.  No more a sellable item.  If you score a hit, you have a 1% chance (or whatever) of being gifted some random valrei skill.

#2 - Scale/hide/blood.  All prem accounts in local get a piece of scale/hide and it is the exact same weight, regardless of 10 or 100 people in local.  Blood - no changes really need to be made, other than fixing them to all work properly when imbuing weapons & tools.

#3 - Butchered loot - Trophies only, that offer no game advantage, just cosmeticly worn or for decorating a house/cart/boat.  Yes, I want a real dragon head on the front of my knarr, plus a speedo made out of a kyklops eyelid.

#4 - (possible option) Once a unique is found and penned, the finders schedule a kill time and relay that to a forum mod, who posts for all to attend.  Should always be a minimum of 24 hours after notifying the FM.

Take the high RL monetary value out of the equation and any reason to make it small, then nobody gives a doo doo if 100 people show up to play.  Bigger groups are a great way to meet new people, show off cool armor, get some fatty sermons and trade goods.  (just need to control lag I suppose).

-Wurmhole

This would fix everything.

don't forget the fun part in the hunt / slaying. 100 peeps having to rotate to swing at the beast is not fun in any way.

17 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

#1 - Valrei dust, random amount, shared between the players around same as blood/scale/hide. Can also be sold / traded / whatever. We don't need more randomness to mess things up for us.

#2 - Scale/hide/blood.  All prem accounts in local get a piece of scale/hide and it is the exact same weight, regardless of 10 or 100 people in local.

Once again, matter of balance, i suggested a while back to have a minimum amount per players + the random amount divided per peeps. Why, make bigger fight interesting, but also balance the amount around. In a game where investment and risks matter a lot, giving away free loot is bad.

Rare bones are cool to have, skulls become overated after a while seeing nothing can be done with them. And we utterly lack more loot for funsies. Dragon teeth to add to a necklace, improvable unique shodclub... come one, plenty of fun things to have.

Penning is bad, mkay, forcing players to have public fights is even worse... silver plate yadda yadda.

Imho, what need to be done as well is :

#5 - Easier uniques, allowing smaller crew to take them down.

#6 - Real random spawning with different timers... not 2 weeks-ish between each. I mean, we can have a gob leaders every week, but a big badass dragon could only show once in a month.

#7 - Make uniques warp to another place every few days, preventing permanent penning and allowing to find them more easilly on bigger servers.

#8 - No more twitter feed, let the spawns surprise you as much as a freakin giant avatar... but with more teeth.

#9 - Balance everything, 30s for a rare bone is silly when a rare tool sell for 2s... not enough offer to meet the demand and the current price, increase the spawn to compensate. Dragons, if they are easier and more frequent, well... reduce the hide amount. Valrei charges, oh god, don't get me started on those... 50% chance out of 4/14 of having one... and then how do you split in between the 30 or so fighters involved (10 if you are greedy), utter nonsence.

TL;DR. Make cool stuff cool again, more details from the start.

Edited by Odynn
  • Like 2

A friend asked me "what about the cost of dropping the deed and the shaker orb to capture it?  What about the Bone?

#5 I guess the bone and/or cosmetic loot can get reserved for the person that spend the coins to capture it.  No super high value there to cause huge fights I'm thinking?

5 minutes ago, Odynn said:

#9 - Balance everything, 30s for a rare bone is silly when a rare tool sell for 2s... not enough offer to meet the demand and the current price, increase the spawn to compensate. Dragons, if they are easier and more frequent, well... reduce the hide amount. Valrei charges, oh god, don't get me started on those... 50% chance out of 4/14 of having one... and then how do you split in between the 30 or so fighters involved (10 if you are greedy), utter nonsence.

This +927294058372959573729203474839395847380593827262930538272739403928274805043928765412536478590439827

Ok, the valrei dust is a cool idea too :)  However, I do think we need to eliminate sellable valrei.

• Like 1

Just now, Wurmhole said:

Ok, the valrei dust is a cool idea too :)  However, I do think we need to eliminate sellable valrei.

I agree! you get 1 charge for a Valrei item and you are instantly rich upon your wildest dreams. Have more than one and you could buy Wurm. (obvious overstatement but still point proven)

16 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

A friend asked me "what about the cost of dropping the deed and the shaker orb to capture it?  What about the Bone?

#5 I guess the bone and/or cosmetic loot can get reserved for the person that spend the coins to capture it.  No super high value there to cause huge fights I'm thinking?

Like Odynn said no more penning , did Rolf not say they were going to make it that uniques could bash there way out?

Its a Freeken  boss mob , penning it should not be possible unless druged .

So our friend has no worries about cost.

Giants are giant. Why can't they just walk over the tiny fence lol? I never understood that in Wurm.

Rolf said no more permanent penning... with the current mechanism, penning them underground allow 1# to keep them locked permanently (lolololol - right) but need a bit of knowledge... or #2 to keep them under a mountain, because the freakin things don't know how to break through a 1 dirt layer drop on the rock face.... so uh... back to lolololol, i guess.

So current situation, i have a free alt, a tent, 2 shaker orbs (or a strongwall priest) and i can keep a unique forever under my deed. Working as intended right ?

also, because double posting is cool, and that one is not related to the previous :

Maybe make the "new" valrei charge one use each, non tradeable once crafted from that valrei dust. Different amount needed depending on how powerful those charges are (let's face it, some are lame, some are OP).

But for economical sake, allow trading of the dust, some of us don't give a damn about valrei charges (just see how fast they sell them when they gain one) but will be more interested in others stuff... and well, silvers is the easiest way to buy whatever you can dream of.

Edited by Odynn
typos
  • Like 1

And for the record, I really enjoy hunts, when I have the time to join them.  Sometimes I get invited and sometimes I don't.  I've helped capture a few times and even captured one on my deed.  I find the capture to be the most exciting part of all of it.  It is the part with the greatest risk, so adds the greatest excitement to the game I can find, without jumping into pvp.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

I find the capture to be the most exciting part of all of it.  It is the part with the greatest risk, so adds the greatest excitement to the game I can find, without jumping into pvp.

Agreed with you, the thrill is in the hunt, toying with the beast, trying to pen and control it. IMHO, any changes made should promote that fight between the creature and the players (basically i suggested the above with that in mind), keeping the excitement and not just walking in a slaughterhouse to leave with a tiny chunk of whatever reward it is.

• Like 1

Odynn's dust idea is clever, but will more public events happen? Right now hardly any happen people just want bloods/scrap.

2 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

won't work, hard to score a hit, especially if its behind a fence

barely enough drake hide drops as it is

thin out what already drops for scale and it be worse than drake

trophies are nice bonus

if above changes are made, no one will bother setting up a kill, as it would not be worth it

-Wurmhole

hard to take the real life money out of a game which is so built around this, 30s for a bone is set by the market and demand, as well as the armor and valerie charges

not sure how to solve the problem of some groups just farming them for the gold

one way maybe is to make them harder to find, no more twitter feed, to compensate this would be to change the use of lurker in the woods to show uniques rather than just champs

The key is not in public events, it's after-all always the same persons looking for the mobs and offering (or not) a shoot at it... unless random chance of the unique finding someone to eat.

More uniques with less loot will make intensive search party less profitable (even more if you don't know when they spawn) but on the other hand will increase the chance of finding one out of sheer luck "halp, it's chewing on my leg"... and gather quickly a crew to dispatch the beast. From a "let's do it privately for bigger benefits", it will become a "yay, mob spotted, let help the guy who shouted frost giant in freedom chat", miss one, who care, you might be the next unique lunch. And so on.

Another point raised is the value/interest of blood (and the decay of the potions on the items) some are worthless frost potion anyone... some are OP, yay mining potions. A rework of alchemy will probably be needed to make those blood potent reagents in some more complex formulas and expand their effects / interest.

Loot. Currently the problem is, the hide/scale amount is fair(usable) only to small groups. Because, when there are many people around, everyone gets a laughable amount(*cough*0.00*cough*) of hide/scale. One solution is to increase dragons/drakes loot gradually based on people hitting it. So that hide will drop only when 50 people(just random numbers to show what i mean) got a hit. This way the hide drop could be balanced for larger groups and that also means, that small groups, while being able to slay the dragons, will not get full loot, so they have a very good motivation to look for more people for slaying. Valrei items for example could start dropping at 75 people hitting the dragon. Somehow alts should be eliminated from this equasion tho.. and of course the hit registering has to be fixed, as all people, who hit the dragon don't get dragonslayer title, so it seems bit buggy..

What if we combined hunts with the Rift idea Warlander has?

Monsters spawn on the server, teleport frequently to prevent penning, and drop a reasonable amount of universal loot of economic value (like blood). But they also give each valid player a "Rift Fragment"

Combine enough Rift Fragments (5? 10? 20?) in a ceremony and the participating players are sent to a Wurm-Rift where the real loot drops. Because it's a small group that presumably had time to pre-plan loot distribution it allows more flexible rewards for completing the challenge, since it won't be 50+ people fighting over a handful of items.

6 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

this idea still wouldnt change much, it would still benefit the same group of people

just an idea for the valrei items,

you all know we have a personal achievement window where it counts how many diffrent mobs we slaughtert, so why not let it count the unique kills and every kill increases the chance that a valrei item pops up in you inventory.

you can split that in 2 ideas.

1. you need for example 100 unique kills to get deffinitly 1 valrei item. than the counter resets and you will need another 100 to get another valrei item. (the numbers are JUST examples)

2. is more a random one. every kill your chance to get an item after kill increases by 1% so even with just 1 kill you will have a chance of 1/100 that you get a valrei item...some people may need 30% or 60% before they got one.

after you got your item the counter will reset again.

so what i mean is, that the item will spawn for each on there own and not in corpse of the unique.

as i know some people will argue about the numbers...  

THE NUMBERS IN THIS SUGGESTION ARE JUST EXAMPLES   :) 

Its a nice thought but where do those hard working LoF casters come into this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Its a nice thought but where do those hard working LoF casters come into this?

great point.  They have saved the battle from a complete rout on multiple occasions.  Other games know how to check if support characters deserve credit for a kill, so the devs here should be able to as well.  Can't imagine it would be hard.  Any healer of a fighter during the battle AND if the fighter lands hits, should qualify.