Sign in to follow this  
polarbear

Epic vs Chaos pros/cons of each

As the titles suggests.  Let's talk about the difference, pros and cons, and etc... between chaos and epic. Just a general topic for anyone looking to get into pvp that has no idea why he or she should go to one or the other.  Let the battle commence: Go!

Please leave out kingdom say so, we have a thread for that for each cluster "skirmishes..." 

Edited by polarbear

Chaos is connected to the rest of the PVE freedom servers so you can sail to PVE and don't have to worry about pvp'ing all of the time, and can buy/sell stuff to freedomers. 

biggest issue would be epic loot which cant cross to freedom atm will now be able too.

also people like myself played on chaos and epic on same accounts so what stats get used.

as well as how do you stop the epic accounts entering freedom.

I didnt realize the topic was about a merge... (is it? I just cant see it) but I think it would be the second best thing that happened to wurm online after wurm unlimited 

22 minutes ago, Simyaci said:

I didnt realize the topic was about a merge... (is it? I just cant see it) but I think it would be the second best thing that happened to wurm online after wurm unlimited 

Not about a merge,(frankly impossible, eh. go start another thread for that...) just a general discussion talking about the difference of the two. For example: Chaos uses old skill system, Epic uses a curve.... Just thought I start a discussion if a new player comes into the game and wants to pvp, why should they choose chaos over epic, or epic over chaos. etc. 

What made you believe this topic was about a merge? I'm confused.

Edited by polarbear

ah sorry polarbear, thought you meant on a pvp basis between servers.

Chaos is more of an "old boys' club". Because Chaos accounts have been around longer, they've had access to more skillgain windows of opportunity and had more time to train overall. This combined with its slower skillgain and lack of a curve means new players will likely be mediocre for a good while after starting. Chaos is much more PMK-oriented, with most of the base kingdoms disabled, so there is more control over who joins. The culture and the way they PvP is quite different as well, but describing that would require a whole separate post on its own.

Epic is more newbie-friendly, at the cost of not being connected to the main cluster. Unlike Chaos where you and your enemies can go to Freedom and be untouchable, there is no 100% safe place on the Epic cluster, though it's up to you whether that's a good or bad thing. The closest we have to that is our home servers, which provide noticeable advantages for defenders and are a good compromise for those who don't want to fully commit to PvP, but don't enjoy all of the restrictions they have to put up with on the (ironically-named) Freedom cluster. Additionally, Epic players have the chance to take part in Valrei scenarios and form (or prevent) new religions, as opposed to Freedom where missions are mostly meaningless. Unfortunately Epic is suffering from a low population right now, though most kingdoms are fairly solid and will help you as you get started.

• Like 1

There are no differences between the two. Both servers are tired, washed up, and need to be deleted. Rolf should start a fresh PvP server about every 18 months with an actual end game assigned to the mix.

So:

Pros - None

Cons - Used tampons

• Like 1

Well the epic kingdoms historically are known to care about the state of their cluster, and will do things in the name of good for the state of the game, where as Chaos has MR Chaos.
Epic takes more time to get SotG but then again you also have more non-gones being competitive in PvP where Chaos is run by the Gones. If you don't take a boat full of Gones in either cluster you're just gimping yourself. 

If I had to currently make the choice of starting over on either cluster, it would hands down be the epic cluster. 
In terms of HotA, one map was designed around the HotA by the looks of things, the other was thrown on the map like someone sneezed while selecting the HotA zone on the map or something.
One map is completely dominated with only a handful of uncontested areas which you could probably squeeze yourself into as a small kingdom, the other has vast amounts of unclaimed space.

On the Chaos server you have people who will raid you for 72+ hours straight with no less than 15-20 people in your local at any given time to just remove you from the game, on the Epic server people favor actual PvP, often involving open field PvP, and in the new map it looks like less landgrabbing deeds than the Chaos server as well.

Of course, I only have a very limited experience on the Epic cluster, and I have only the past 4-5 months on Chaos. 
So take what I say with a grain of salt, I suppose. There's plenty of salt to go around.

I've not played on Epic, so can't comment on their side of things.  I have played on Chaos for about 4 months though as a new player.  I've been a freedom "hermit", I've been in the smallest PMK on the server (Ebonaura) and the largest (MR).  What I love about Chaos is first and foremost, the people are helpful and great.  This is really "gang" warfare and your gang always has your back.  Yes, there can be exceptions, but for the most part, people there are great.  Even though the groups I've been in love to hate Hashi's HOTS crew and JK, I bet they feel the same way about their community.

I like the fact that Chaos is more KvK.  If you come there with only a straight out PvP mindset, you and your kingdom will not last very long.  It is a place where you can truly win some pvp battles but lose the war.  I guess I'm in the minority, but I like raiding and being raided.  When I was with Ebo, the different deeds I was on got raided almost daily or at least people would show up in local to pvp.  I take those events as opportunities to learn how to play better, hide better, build better, whatever.  Being on the attacking end also has it charms in that I get to see a lot of places, a lot of different ways to build deeds, how to attack, how to defend, etc.

But the thing I like most about raiding or being raided is the teamwork.  You see people working together on both sides to accomplish something or prevent something.  This extends to helping equip yourselves as well.  Your kingdom will help you get geared up for pvp but also for your tradeskills.

The downside from my perspective is that new players really cannot contribute to the pvp activity itself in any meaningful fashion.  You can certainly contribute to kvk raiding and defending, but in pvp, we just die too fast and that can lead to a chain reaction in a numbers pvp game.  I'm not really advocating change or anything here, just stating the reality of the situation.  Chaos is more a way of life rather than just thinking you are going sail over and do some pvp for the weekend.  You have to build your character and pay your dues here.  Mistakes are rewarded with a quick death here.

For freedomers though, Chaos is a good community environment with much less of the drama I see on Freedom where you can't actually do anything about it.  If you've been playing for a long time, you probably already have a lot of good stats that will help with PvP.  70 longsword, 70 shield, 70 fighting, huge axe, digging, mining, high body strength are what you should aim for.  You can get to 70/70/70 very quickly on freedom, so spend a week or two and get those skills up, then join one of the PMKs and see what it is like.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Graymane said:

I've not played on Epic, so can't comment on their side of things.  I have played on Chaos for about 4 months though as a new player.  I've been a freedom "hermit", I've been in the smallest PMK on the server (Ebonaura) and the largest (MR).  What I love about Chaos is first and foremost, the people are helpful and great.  This is really "gang" warfare and your gang always has your back.  Yes, there can be exceptions, but for the most part, people there are great.  Even though the groups I've been in love to hate Hashi's HOTS crew and JK, I bet they feel the same way about their community.

I like the fact that Chaos is more KvK.  If you come there with only a straight out PvP mindset, you and your kingdom will not last very long.  It is a place where you can truly win some pvp battles but lose the war.  I guess I'm in the minority, but I like raiding and being raided.  When I was with Ebo, the different deeds I was on got raided almost daily or at least people would show up in local to pvp.  I take those events as opportunities to learn how to play better, hide better, build better, whatever.  Being on the attacking end also has it charms in that I get to see a lot of places, a lot of different ways to build deeds, how to attack, how to defend, etc.

But the thing I like most about raiding or being raided is the teamwork.  You see people working together on both sides to accomplish something or prevent something.  This extends to helping equip yourselves as well.  Your kingdom will help you get geared up for pvp but also for your tradeskills.

The downside from my perspective is that new players really cannot contribute to the pvp activity itself in any meaningful fashion.  You can certainly contribute to kvk raiding and defending, but in pvp, we just die too fast and that can lead to a chain reaction in a numbers pvp game.  I'm not really advocating change or anything here, just stating the reality of the situation.  Chaos is more a way of life rather than just thinking you are going sail over and do some pvp for the weekend.  You have to build your character and pay your dues here.  Mistakes are rewarded with a quick death here.

For freedomers though, Chaos is a good community environment with much less of the drama I see on Freedom where you can't actually do anything about it.  If you've been playing for a long time, you probably already have a lot of good stats that will help with PvP.  70 longsword, 70 shield, 70 fighting, huge axe, digging, mining, high body strength are what you should aim for.  You can get to 70/70/70 very quickly on freedom, so spend a week or two and get those skills up, then join one of the PMKs and see what it is like.

+1

Fights are really different just watch a video from each of them to kinda get the feel of it

Chaos:

Epic:

Pretty much how it is, if you get someone in local on Epic i'd say there's a good 75% chance you'll get into some kind of fight

On chaos, that's probably around a 25% chance

Playing on both you can't really describe that well how each one is, you just "get it" 

When a group of people come play on chaos from epic with the "epic" mindset, they usually tear stuff up until the momentum of doing something new dies down, but it's a real clear divide in how each server is played.

Edited by Cornchips