Sign in to follow this  
Zekezor

Changes to catapult control

The selection bar is goodie in the way that you can use the buttons and what not... But could we have some improvements to it?

1) The fire option is unavailable untill the catapult is winched, please change that so we can queue up a winching pattern followed by shooting.

2) While having no item active this is the default display of a loaded and winched catapult:

e8cba243f1.jpg

(examine, drag, repair, unload, winch, winch, winch, fire.

However while having an item active the destroy option gets priotised over the later firing mechanic actions and thus the catapult cant be fired using the select bar buttons...

Hint: This happend all the damn time due to having to activate new ammo before loading the next shoot.

f8c1d6f943.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So in short this is how it works atm:
*load*

*Winch*

*pause*

*fire*

*activate new ammo*

*repeat*

how it (at the very least) should be like

*load*

*winch*

*queue fire while winching*

*activate new ammo while still winching*

*repeat*

Heck if the catapult actions were actually priotised over the random crap like repair, examine, etc, then that would be sweet.

iow the 7 buttons:

Drag, Load, Unload, Winch, Winch5, Winch10, Fire, Unwind

You designed the system for this purpuse, no?

The irony is that the unwind button excist but the select bar isnt long enough to actually ever display it at any given time lol. now thats a proper joke.

In a ideal system all 7 catapult options should be displayed at all time and allow players to properly queue up the action sequence they desire. (limited by mindlogic ofc)

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 3

Repair and drag should not even be on the bar .

They do need a turn catapult left or right for aiming icon insted.

1 hour ago, Lostone said:

should drag it to turn it otherwise you cant do precise angles.

You should be able to stand behind it and rotate left or right insted of drag to aim .

I dont know how many times i had to drag this a dozen time to get proper angle for some fencing or walls.

In older times they had a large pole that they would use to shimy the ass end over to aim.

Zekezor needs to learn that keybinds exist, and can be used just fine to queue up firing and other catapult commands.

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

Zekezor needs to learn that keybinds exist, and can be used just fine to queue up firing and other catapult commands.

Zekezor knows this but thinks the damn action bar feature should work none the less and not be left halfassed.

Just get rid of the catapult. WU has proven it to be completely useless when compared to the trebuchet.

The action bar really should be stretched out for us mouse lovers, keybinds are the best though.

You can queue up the fire easy enough on multiple winch selections, but if you are starting with a 10 winch its a bit of a wait before you can hit fire then activate next round of ammo. It is the main reason I prefer a 11 range over a 10, as I can spam actions a lot faster.

It really is annoying to have to manually click on the cata for the menu to select fire if you activated something else before the 10 winch is finished.

The unwind button shows up once in a blue moon, or I would not even know that is supposed to be on the action bar, I suspect that is a oversight by whoever designed a catapult action bar longer than the ingame bar allows for. I bet no one has reported this and most likely move this to the bug report section rather than suggestions.

All this is immaterial though, as catapulting is broken as hell and I would rather see that part of the catapult mechanics fixed before some fluff on the control panel.

15 hours ago, Lostone said:

It is essential to have drag on the bar in a pvp environment.

6 hours ago, Pinchaloaf said:

Just get rid of the catapult. WU has proven it to be completely useless when compared to the trebuchet.

WU makes trebs mobile? If not catapult is vastly more useful. Ever try doing angle shots with a treb?

Sure the trebs are kings of destruction, but limited use do to the mobility issue.

If you wait till the first winch is done then activate your next ammo it gives the fire option