Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #14 Departures and Arrivals

header.png

Hi everyone,

I hate to start off the weekly news on a sad note but as previously announced at the start of this week, both Alex (Haradur) and Erik (ErikN) are moving on from Code Club, with Alex's final day being today and Erik leaving later on in the month. They've both been instrumental in shaping Wurm, with their contributions and vision having a massive impact on how the game is today.

To learn more about both Alex and Erik, feel free to check out their interviews here:

http://www.wurmonline.com/meet-the-team/

This does mean that things have been rather quiet this week, with them both working on tidying up some loose ends on their respective projects, but there has been some tinkering regarding how our team works!

But first...

Patch notes

Spoiler

Patch Notes 07/APR/16

April 7, 2016
  • Made chance on getting rock when foraging depend on inverse skill. e.g. more likely to get it on low skill.
  • Added flatten and level actions to ceilings.
  • Removed the one-per-tile limitation on FSBs and BSBs.
  • Added strength requirement of 23 in order to cast Break Altar on the White light and Black light huge altars.
  • Change for harvest times so more likely to be in default week.
  • Status Effect icon for Resurrection Stone added.
  • Bugfix – Items dropped when on a bridge should no longer exceed the 100 limit.
  • Bugfix – Kingdom offices can now be set when the current holder is offline.
  • Bugfix – Non-citizens or allies with appropriate permissions now get the faster timers when moving and loading items on a deed on Freedom.
  • Bugfix – Fire vulnerability power now correctly displayed in spell status window.
  • Bugfix – Damage imbues will now dispel properly.
  • Bugfix – Hedges will now show dye values.
  • Bugfix – Multi part items now have a correct chance of rarity when starting with rare components.

Client Changelog 3.99y

• First person mode will now be called Free look mode, Options involving this mode will be reset to default values.
  • Added rarity glow to animated items.

Contracting Crew

We are in the process of contracting several existing developers to take over vital parts of the production and development of Wurm as well as other non developer positions for other important tasks in keeping Wurm running. This means that the workload will continue to be shared with our awesome dev team getting some recognition for the tireless work they do. There's been some big changes suggested with taking over these roles, and I can't wait to see what comes of them. Once the positions are finalised we will let you all know!

PvP changes
I know I know, each restart has you all on the edge of your seats, but worry not! While there's plenty of changes still in discussion, some have been decided upon and should start rolling in next week (cough Information Minister cough). Some of these changes may take time as we go through the process, but they will start rolling in with the updates soon!

Pristines Treasure

Despite a tiny hiccup at the start, the Pristine hunt was a whole lot of fun, watching players strain their necks trying to look at upside down map pieces, and travel across the entire server. It's always great watching the players come together for events like these, and we're always looking at new ways to kill entertain you all.

Moderating the forum is fun, I swear!

Firestarter is working tirelessly in improving the way we moderate on the forums and he needs your help! We're still looking for volunteers to join the forum team. If you spend a lot of time flicking through the forums, want to help out and join the Wurm team, this is the position for you, apply here:

Community Content!

This weeks community content is a shot I nabbed of Odynn's mountain deed, Midgard. Truly one of the most awesome looking castle builds I've seen, I know Odynn is eagerly awaiting cave dwellings like the rest of you, and I can't wait to see what all of you come up with!

screenshot.png

That's it from me for this week, I hope you all have an awesome weekend and I'll see you all next time!

Retrograde and the Wurm team.

• Like 20

put through the nerf with sotg, don't delay for months and month...Putting down to 25-30% whilst you think about what to do is better than leaving it as it is.

Edited by Mclovin
  • Like 5

Just now, Mclovin said:

put through the nerf with sotg to 25-30% whilst you think about what to do, better than leaving it as it is.

Pretty sure alot of their initial "changes to PvP" is going to translate to "Nerf-a-geddon" until proper fixes are in place.  But don't worry, I'm sure you and all the others that never PvP will have your way soon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mclovin said:

put through the nerf with sotg to 25-30% whilst you think about what to do, better than leaving it as it is.

Agreed, I am not always in favor of "bandaiding" something but in this case it's for the best. Good to finally have a date to see changes start rolling in, fashionably late but also at probably the lowest point for epic atleast. Hopefully you guys keep true to your word. 

Edited by Egard
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Wargasm said:

Pretty sure alot of their initial "changes to PvP" is going to translate to "Nerf-a-geddon" until proper fixes are in place.  But don't worry, I'm sure you and all the others that never PvP will have your way soon.

Nerf-a-geddon, I like that, not sure how it pertains to archery keybinds and information minister removal.. Gonna have to think up a spin!

Really though, some changes might be seen as nerfs, others might be seen as long overdue. I can't say this shouldn't have been done a while ago, but I can say that we're focused on doing it now and moving forward from here.

• Like 5

Just now, Retrograde said:

Nerf-a-geddon, I like that, not sure how it pertains to archery keybinds and information minister removal.. Gonna have to think up a spin!

Really though, some changes might be seen as nerfs, others might be seen as long overdue. I can't say this shouldn't have been done a while ago, but I can say that we're focused on doing it now and moving forward from here.

A boost in pvp would be seen straight off the bat with the sotg nerf, even if there are more complex changes due for it. Leaving something so OP till later will make the first changes useless to those without SotG so I hope to see something gone-related next week, even if it isn't the full change.
  • Like 1

my precious! now i just need to finish it for the next screenshot :D

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

PvP changes

I know I know, each restart has you all on the edge of your seats, but worry not! While there's plenty of changes still in discussion, some have been decided upon and should start rolling in next week (cough Information Minister cough). Some of these changes may take time as we go through the process, but they will start rolling in with the updates soon!

So... which changes were decided upon....?

Like... the thread for feedback has been closed the whole week, so players final input has been given on all the things presented.

And now that patches are incomming, whats comming next week?

Been over a month of discussions and what not, i sure hope its not merely "lol i changed the sotg variable from 50 to 25 and deleted the information minister line in the code, took me 10 min, enjoy guys!"

• Like 1

We going to finally get a Dev dedicated to pvp mechanics and community ? You mentioned every Dev had a pet project when you were in teamspeak and none of them were focusing on anything pvp related. With the new Dev acquisitions and such would be nice to see that. One Dev that is focused on these mechanics and this part of the community will go a long way . 

Edited by Egard
  • Like 5

kek. the Devs leaving are like "you c dem changes the players want?" "yeh we saw dem, we outtie"

On a serious note, PvP balanced should be priority one. Not because I'm a PvPer but more because the game is losing population on PvP side of things. 

• Like 1

Only one person left working at CC?

• Removed the one-per-tile limitation on FSBs and BSBs.

Woohoo! That feature was a right pain in the butt!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

@Retrograde

My initial response was primarily directed at McLovin.  Archery keybinds are a minor change that doesn't completely reshape the mechanics of PvP.  Archery is helpful in PvP, but still situational.  Nonetheless, we're grateful for this change as well as the info minister's removal.

By Nerf-a-geddon what I meant was, you can't just remove SoTG and expect PvP to be 90% fixed/balanced.  There's several aspects of PvP (that you've already mentioned in the previous post) as needing to be toned down, specifically with regard to truestrike and other forms of 1-shot death dealers.  Changes to boat PvP, changes to deed destruction.... the majority of the suggestions need to be implemented simultaneously so that revealed exploits cannot be taken advantage of (mining reinforced tiles on enemy deeds, anyone?)

Not to sound pessimistic Retro, but some of the changes that your team has rolled out lately, such as collapsing cave floors that haven't been reinforced, needed rethinking.  PvP is not something you flip a coin to decide, then change it, watch it burn over the weekend and say "well, that didn't work" and revert it back.  Because of this, we're pressing to know what's coming before it is implemented.

Edited by Wargasm
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Wargasm said:

@Retrograde

My initial response was primarily directed at McLovin.  Archery keybinds are a minor change that doesn't completely reshape the mechanics of PvP.  Archery is helpful in PvP, but still situational.  Nonetheless, we're grateful for this change as well as the info minister's removal.

By Nerf-a-geddon what I meant was, you can't just remove SoTG and expect PvP to be 90% fixed/balanced.  There's several aspects of PvP (that you've already mentioned in the previous post) as needing to be toned down, specifically with regard to truestrike and other forms of 1-shot death dealers.  Changes to boat PvP, changes to deed destruction.... the majority of the suggestions need to be implemented simultaneously so that revealed exploits cannot be taken advantage of (mining reinforced tiles on enemy deeds, anyone?)

We are quite aware that the changes that were put on the table are not going to do most or all of the legwork required to fix PvP. I feel like a broken record because I keep repeating this, but here goes again: The changes came from the feedback meetings that Retrograde held with the kingdoms across all the servers. No, they do not reflect ALL the changes discussed at those meetings. These changes highlight the ones that will take the least amount of time to implement. There's a plan in place, and there will be plenty of forewarning as to when these smaller changes go live and when the larger changes hit the table.

Right now the main focus is finishing up a major feature that has been hinted to for a few weeks and settling things down with these staffing changes. The staff changes were not known prior to the PvP changes suggestion, or that entire thing might have been delayed as to not break up the smaller fixes with the larger ones so much. Alas, this is how things worked out.

Not to sound pessimistic Retro, but some of the changes that your team has rolled out lately, such as collapsing cave floors that haven't been reinforced, needed rethinking.  PvP is not something you flip a coin to decide, then change it, watch it burn over the weekend and say "well, that didn't work" and revert it back.  Because of this, we're pressing to know what's coming before it is implemented.

The single example you provided here was the result of a fix that had unintended results. It wasn't the intention to cause the massive amount of damage, and unfortunately it wasn't possible to simply roll it all back. Instead it was removed until it can be looked at more closely. Essentially what appeared to be a simple fix discovered by our Wurm Unlimited community snowballed into a massive headache for players.

With that last paragraph said, it's more important that we get the changes and fixes to PvP right than it is to rush them out just to please those who want them. This weekend I will be doing both the Information Minister change (removing the territory notification) and working on Archery Keybinds. As for when these will go live, the first will be on the next server update after I've made the change and tested it. Honestly there's not a whole lot to test with a change like this, so it should be pretty quick. The archery keybinds might require a little more testing to ensure that they work as intended and will require a client update and may very well need a server update as well.

That's it for me though. You may now return to your regularly scheduled News post!

Edit: I lied! I have more to say!

For those of you who live in the mentioned fear of ninja patches to PvP - fear not. We will be using the PvP Test server to test changes with a greater impact (such as whatever might happen with SOTG). Details on how long they will be tested for and if any sort of test weekends are run will be left for Retrograde to announce when ready. I just wanted to chime in here to assure folks that you don't have to fear server restarts and patch notes. :)

Now back to my sheep!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Docterchese said:

Odynn's deed is immense. o.O

And you only see a part of it. The Hellheim complex and underground layer is where i'm planning to have fun with the underground dwelling... that is if we can build next to cave walls. Else i will have to think of something else :D

Also from the screenshot... need moar stone slabs.

• Like 2

No need to rush epic server pretty dead already due to the neglect pvp servers get.

1 hour ago, shankiest said:

No need to rush epic server pretty dead already due to the neglect pvp servers get.

Sad but true 

Hurray elevation reset

Hurray player Gods

Huehuehueh

• Like 1

So much complaining, I'm going to start calling the PvP changes "Bridges 2.0".

But with that said, your approach to this should be the same as your approach to bridges. Take the time to get everything exactly right and release the bulk of it as one big package. The critical stuff can be sped up a bit, but you'll get more people trying/coming back to PvP if the hype train rolls into town all at once and actually delivers on its promises.

Edited by Fawkes

13 hours ago, Wargasm said:

@Retrograde

Wargasm I agree with you, more than one thing need to be looked upon in pvp, however I dont disagree that sotg is in need of a change sooner than later. 

But like you said sotg is 90% of the pvp, but its a start. Maybe this will kickstart it and soon we will be discussing diety changes and weapon/enchant balances and so on.

8 hours ago, LorenaMontana said:

Sad but true 

Hurray elevation reset

Hurray player Gods

Huehuehueh

Nice to see you here again, Will you be coming back if you like the changes that is made to pvp?

Also hope they overhaul combat to a system that more interactive and more modern