Sign in to follow this  
drummerboyas157

Stop tree growth far away?

I run my own server, and I was really wanting a way to stop tree growth but not totally. I want to be able to plant trees, but I dont what my whole map to be covered by trees, like it is now. What does everyone else do to fix this?

lower tree growth. What tree growth does is say how many tiles from the tree can another tree sprout. so if you set it to like 2 to 4 tiles it will not spread as fast as it does if it is set higher like 10 to 20. If you want slow growth but don't want to stop them from spreading set it to 1 or 2 on tree growth

Edited by Arkonick

Also, if you set it to 0, you control replanting. No trees will spread on their own. If you want no trees to begin with, you need to generate a map and just not biome any with the tree spread set to 0. You should then never have a tree you did not plant. I say "should" because I never tested it. I'm quite the opposite. I want my island heavily forested except where I cut it down.

I've looked into the code for that setting, and it doesn't work like that.

If you set it to 0 it disables all natural tree spreading, and the server will kill any fresh sprouts when the tile is polled, including those planted by players. Some will survive if they manage to reach the next stage before the tile is polled.

If it's > 0, it acts as a "one-in-X" chance, so if you want lower chance of spreading - set it to a higher number.

• Like 1

Glad you checked, Bdew, or I would have him with no trees at all ever. :-/

10 hours ago, Arkonick said:

lower tree growth. What tree growth does is say how many tiles from the tree can another tree sprout. so if you set it to like 2 to 4 tiles it will not spread as fast as it does if it is set higher like 10 to 20. If you want slow growth but don't want to stop them from spreading set it to 1 or 2 on tree growth

I have it set to 1 and it is way too much. If i set it to 0 then no trees will grow. Does no one else have this problem? I have no open fields left on my server with it set to 1 tree growth

Bdew said the number you set is 1 in x. Set it to something high, say 1000.

18 hours ago, bdew said:

I've looked into the code for that setting, and it doesn't work like that.

If you set it to 0 it disables all natural tree spreading, and the server will kill any fresh sprouts when the tile is polled, including those planted by players. Some will survive if they manage to reach the next stage before the tile is polled.

If it's > 0, it acts as a "one-in-X" chance, so if you want lower chance of spreading - set it to a higher number.

9 hours ago, Audrel said:

Bdew said the number you set is 1 in x. Set it to something high, say 1000.

So Tree Spread odds on the server panel should be high if you want low odds?

Exactly. I told you wrong. Bdew is the one who told you correctly, by the way. What I said would kill everything you planted. LOL