Sign in to follow this  
Marlon

Server Config - Multi-Server split

Hi private server admins.

I want to split my server (multi-core 16GB Debian servers) into multiple (physically separate) nodes so I can focus processing and disk IO separately.

Does anyone know if this is possible, and worth doing? Perhaps a login server and main server split as an alternative?

I struggle with documentation, most of it is vague and short. Either I am missing the details somewhere on the wiki, or there is just no documentation other than the badly titled forum posts. :D

Anyway, with that said, the headless linux server is working pretty nicely. Well done. 

Cheerios

Having them on the same internal network is possible, but you have to get the IP address just right, (ie, external/internal IP's with actual internal/external mixture.)

I have not heard of any one being able to get it to work over the internet.

I have had some ideas using VPN Tunnels but not been able to partner up with some over the net, to test out.

That is a fair difficulty.

I appreciate your response. 

I will have physically separate servers, in the same rack, so they should work with local addressing. 

Perhaps, if time allows, I will share the config in this post if I can make it work before impatience swaddles me.

My aims here are simply to provide optimal operation by throwing specifically-configured hardware at things like sqlite, and the processing needed for large amounts of creatures. 

If you are intending on running a single map there is no point in splitting off the login server, the added overhead will outweigh any performance benefits. Also you won't have accurate player counts in the server browser due to a bug.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bdew said:

If you are intending on running a single map there is no point in splitting off the login server, the added overhead will outweigh any performance benefits. Also you won't have accurate player counts in the server browser due to a bug.

It's not really a bug, it's due to the changes on how they do STEAM authentication. They do it every time you go into or switch a server within the same node.. So you log into PvE, and it verifies you. Then when it redirects you to say a PvP node if you were on PvP, it then re-verifies you and adds the number to the new node and removes it from the first. Before it would only verify you on the login server. 

• Like 1