Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Taking dig from 80 to 99

Any advice?  I had alts before with 99 dig and I never worried about skilling up.  However, I'm now leveling my own and wish to get back to 99.  I've noticed the skill ticks are few at 80, while just digging for basic teraforming.  Do I need really steep slopes?  Dedicate time to digging up clay, tar or peat? 

Thank you!

ok first i don't skill dig, saying that i've noticed the same thing actually digging gives little skill leveling gives a little more but flattening steep slopes with a low ql shovel gives decent gains and i've found good skill gains on removing pavement

At 80.0 skill, QL29 shovel on flat tar.  Let the shovel QL trend downward and hit QL1 at around 93 skill, and dig flat tar with a QL1 shovel after that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deth666 said:

ok first i don't skill dig, saying that i've noticed the same thing actually digging gives little skill leveling gives a little more but flattening steep slopes with a low ql shovel gives decent gains and i've found good skill gains on removing pavement

Leveling gives atrocious skill gain by comparison.  Never have I seen leveling give more skill per tick than manual digging.  I wouldn't advise leveling as a way to "skill" digging ever, and I only use it in projects to hasten the outcome, but never for skill gains. :)

Guess I'll grab a bsb and go fill it with Tar :)

Thank you for the advice!

skiller shovel and tar

alternatively, be a cool guy and do skiller shovel + clay and then follow up by building all the towers

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Guess I'll grab a bsb and go fill it with Tar :)

Thank you for the advice!

You won't need a bsb, you'll fill it up too quickly. Bring a forge and never stop burning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xalorum said:

You won't need a bsb, you'll fill it up too quickly. Bring a forge and never stop burning.

I had considered this too.  I'll fill the BSB with high QL for ship building, then burn the rest.  :)

Just finished 1-99 using only tar to grind. Didn't seem to bad until I hit 90 then it slowed down a hell of alot

Bsbs dont fill fast with tar, its a long time ago i got to 99+ digging but iirc there fits 16k in a bsb 

That takes ages to fill.

• Like 1

i was 100.00 digging :)

use under 10ql shovel with +90coc and Flatten. DONT USE WOA

(as you are going for big gains.. i really recommend rare shovel with coc, as it will last 20x longer than regular shovels - i was silly and used regular shovels.. i burned out over 20 shovels with 90-100coc down to 70coc <_<)

even if u flatten 5 slopes or 200 slopes, its same gains.. though time passes nicer with just flattening 200slopes.

How i did my last 200hours of digging to 100 was searching some abandoned flatrises on mountains.. eat sleep powders and just flatten right down. those beautiful +40min flatten timers <3

Altough at low levels u will see great gains even just from regular digging with your 10ql +90coc shovel, but it really is nothing compared to the great afk flattening gains.

Enjoy digging :) build some awesome dirtwalls for your deed, that's most fun.

edit: i see many people talking about tar and clay.

I personally never dug those with skillshovel, because it just didnt seem to give same gains as afk flattening did for me.

Oh and P.S. remember to move from 1 tile every 9minutes to another tile. - if you stand on one tile over 10min flattening, then your gains stop (this mechanic was ingame last i was digging, not sure if it changed)

Edited by silakka
  • Like 1

Do what Noiz said for optimal gains.

7 hours ago, silakka said:

I think you've mentioned this in nearly every post you've made since.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Depends said:

Do what Noiz said for optimal gains.

I think you've mentioned this in nearly every post you've made since.

Not sure if that's true, but man that was a good laugh. lol

actually trying out a combo of things from all the posts above :)  Pavement removal does work well, as does the tar.  Also, the flattening of huge slopes is a nice way to take a bio break or cook dinner.  All very useful stuff for me! 

If all the highways on Xanadu vanish in the next couple weeks, it wasn't me!

• Like 1

What about dredging? I've dredged clay for what seemed like good skill gains, but I don't have any figures.

On 4/5/2016 at 10:27 AM, silakka said:

use under 10ql shovel with +90coc and Flatten. DONT USE WOA

(as you are going for big gains.. i really recommend rare shovel with coc, as it will last 20x longer than regular shovels - i was silly and used regular shovels.. i burned out over 20 shovels with 90-100coc down to 70coc <_<)

even if u flatten 5 slopes or 200 slopes, its same gains.. though time passes nicer with just flattening 200slopes.

How i did my last 200hours of digging to 100 was searching some abandoned flatrises on mountains.. eat sleep powders and just flatten right down. those beautiful +40min flatten timers <3

Altough at low levels u will see great gains even just from regular digging with your 10ql +90coc shovel, but it really is nothing compared to the great afk flattening gains.

Enjoy digging :) build some awesome dirtwalls for your deed, that's most fun.

edit: i see many people talking about tar and clay.

I personally never dug those with skillshovel, because it just didnt seem to give same gains as afk flattening did for me.

Oh and P.S. remember to move from 1 tile every 9minutes to another tile. - if you stand on one tile over 10min flattening, then your gains stop (this mechanic was ingame last i was digging, not sure if it changed)

The code to Wurm Online was exposed when Wurm Unlimited was released*. Noizhead's advice is optimal and there is absolutely nothing better you could do. But this looks like it could be an interesting option for people who want to AFK it a little more - I wonder how the numbers compare.

*not that it needed to be to answer this question

Here is my experience with digging:

1. Clay is far better for skillgain than dirt - I didnt test tar since I also had a need for lots of clay, so it was a nice coincidence. ^^

2. low QL high CoC digging tool is the way to go

And 3rd, which is why I say digging tool in the above: dredging seems to be better than digging with a shovel. So the way to go for me has always been to dredge clay.

Besides flattening gives close to zero body stats while dredging / digging does give a fair amount.

Edited by Balmore

this is interesting.. I just happen to have a spot of clay I want to lower in the water.  ty!

I'd have to double-check, but I believe clay and dirt both have a base difficulty of 1. So at high skill, any gains you get on those tiles are likely due to slope rather than tile type.