Sign in to follow this  
Shakatra

Agree/disagree?

nope, just be efficient with your time and you'll do fine. coming from the perspective of a PvPer the only things i need to grind are PvP skills (and they go up so quick sleep bonus isn't necessary, outside of meditation.), anything else is likely because i really enjoy it or really want to use it, all my other bases are covered by my community.

less than 200 days played and a good half of that was as a priest

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2016 at 6:16 PM, Evening said:

Hm, I like to get lost in my own backyard, to run in circles, to ride between north and south edges of the map without a purpose, to travel to a friend's deed and do the "poke in the ribs" emote, then come back.

I also like taking screenies while the mob is nibbling on my toes, bring home stray hens, drop random (alive) cows in random unlocked pens belonging to random people, collect champion kitties and, once a month, if I still have some free time, I grind hard for about 3-4 minutes ..

Tango, M'lady?

0dabd7c8152a3b0c79a2feb787e8bd1d.jpg

LMAO Evening... I run in circles around people. They have threatened to nail my feet to the ground.

• Like 1

I think it largely depends on what you expect to get out of the game. People expecting the usual progression in other MMOs (better equipment = good, having top stuff = a must if you want to "compete") actually have to hate Wurm unless they are very, very patient people who can take the plate tectonics level speed of progression. You just don't get things quickly here. If your "goal" in Wurm is reaching some skill cap in the shortest time possible, yeah, sucks.

7 hours ago, akaedis said:

wurm unlimited, Link provided by fawkes~

That wary thought is only from wurm online nay sayers that WO Is better than WU. They only came up with a couple reasons to play WO than WU which are "Community" and "Server Stability" and "server might shutdown" which are false as WU has them server stability and bigger population numbers. The popular servers have a nearly 100% Uptime, Only goes down to bugs WU patchs give or someone makes it go down or updating. Additionally we have servers with over 100+ Players daily. 2, Almost 3 times more players per server then 75%+ of WO Servers. Lastly the server might shutdown talk is only applied to small tiny servers, Just like any other server in any game. If nobody or barely anyone is playing your server, Reason suggests shut it down and spend your money elsewhere. Additionally all the servers typically have 5x speed and 3x skill atleast, So even if lets say you lost your character, *Some* Servers are nice enough to give you a few of your old skills back on there server. They may nerf it a bit or limit your skill to lets say 50 from 90, But its better then starting at 1. Even then tho, 50 is no major milestone either, Thats like a day or two of grinding at most. 

But to answer the OP and steal from others comments here:

Wurm in general is a waste of time much like any other game. But if were just gonna go with Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited, Wurm Online is a huge waste of time as you spend about 6 months just to get to below average level. Even then your only making like 50ql stuff and basically burning a huge hole in your pocket. Whereas on Wurm Unlimited, You spend less money and time making roof tiles and more time playing the game. whatever that may be from building bridges, Deeds, Boats, Whatever. You don't have to put in a 1 year grind for a max skill, Maybe 1-2 months for 100. A month tops for 90 easy. Unless your doing mining which is different skill gains altogether on WU. 

So you know why I won't play WU? Who let you in my head? Don't be so quick to lump everyone together even if it's tempting or easy to do so.

If WU wasn't locked into STEAM client I would be playing it. I have seen Server descriptions in WU that make me drool with anticipation to play them... but no I will never play WU as long as it's a part of STEAM. It's not about "Community" or "Server Stability" being better. It's about how I'm opposed to the business model of STEAM, Origin, and other Gaming "middlemen" Corps and therefore I refuse to spend my money and thus validate their practices no matter how good the games are on them.

I actually think that maybe WU overall may be better than WO ever could be, but I will never know until it's completely unattached to STEAM or any other Corp like them.

Edited by geode
  • Like 1

Disagree.

I play wurm as a project oriented game. I have been playing for entirely too long (lol, I think i'm at a decade now) and I don't recall ever working a skill just to gain the skill. Well there was a bit of blacksmithing back in the time frame right after rolf decided to let wild (now chaos) raid the homeservers but before the new freedom isles opened when we knew the server we were on was going to be deleted. 

For me a large part of the game is about working on things, I enjoy making my materials a bit at a time and then building the houses, walls, etc.  Mining out elaborate underground rooms has been fun in the past, and I am looking forward to underground building on a very large scale. There is a certain pleasure to be found in visualizing something, and then spending the time to build it, knowing that it will remain for others to see. At one time i built a very long network of roads across NorthWest and Central Independence that players still use today, There is something very satisfying about that. 

Another activity that I enjoy is travel. I will set off with a kit of tools, and just go wander, see what people have built, explore the ruins of old settlements (rarely taking anything other than a couple of veggies from old bins so i can cook a meal occasionally) Fight skill and High QL gear is NOT essential to doing this either.  I still don't even have 40FS, I wear a couple of random bits of clothes based on looks not function (My best armor piece is below 50QL, and it's a sleeve). With a bit of care and by pausing often enough that you are never below 1/3 stamina you should be able to outrun most opponents even on foot. Take a small sailboat or rowboat and you have a secure storage point that you can return to, as well as a handy way to cross those oceans.

As for Sleep bonus, I have no idea when the last time i even turned my sleep bonus on was.

I DO have some fairly nice tools, but with only a few exceptions I made them myself, and the enchants are medium power for the most part and tend to be WoA on the resource gathering tools just to speed up digging and mining a bit. (oh, and WoA clay for making mortar is probably my only must have)

• Like 1

I think this post is a waste of time.  Like everything in life it is what makes you happy.  I enjoy making cheesecake. Do You?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, LorenaMontana said:

Agree

Do not forsake us.

yes OP, power gamers get more things done than casuals, who would've thought lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slickshot said:

Do not forsake us.

Main reason i bought 100's and 100's of sleep powders when i played this game :D it just felt a waste of time to not buy it and do it without 

I think if you have to ask how to have fun in a game, maybe it isnt for you

• Like 1

You got this all wrong, it's a waste of time unless you use high ql tools with WOA on them.

...well actually it's not really a waste of time; The point was more that there are more goals to have in WO than to grind skills, like building stuff, or...building stuff. Hmm. Maybe breeding animals and farming? Definetely building stuff though. :J

There are so many different things to do. Exploring is quite fun, and seeing different deed designs. Exploring the terrain and learning the uniqueness of different servers. Wurm is a great adventure, any way you approach it. If I feel like grinding a bit, I'll do it, but mostly I just do what I feel like doing. That is what the game is for, right? No one says you have to do this or that, get your skills up, not die, or not fall off mountains :)

Just do what makes you happy.

only  14  posts  and yall took the bait, slackers...........

On 05/04/2016 at 1:11 PM, spellcast said:

[...] At one time i built a very long network of roads across NorthWest and Central Independence that players still use today, There is something very satisfying about that. [...]

The long diagonal from the old North spawn Samling to the center? I've been "raised" next to that road...

1 hour ago, Jaz said:

The long diagonal from the old North spawn Samling to the center? I've been "raised" next to that road...

No, that one is Tich's lol

I did the one that runs from Insanity down the western side of the central lakes into the Grizzlam area and then also across to the canal at Darkenstone. I did some digging for tich on the central one tho. lol.

• Like 1

Grinding is wasteful when you're not running an alt at the same time. Those moments in between queuing actions could be spent alt-tabbing and queuing more actions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Meldichoir said:

Grinding is wasteful when you're not running an alt at the same time. Those moments in between queuing actions could be spent alt-tabbing and queuing more actions.

Who in the right mind plays Wurm and doesn't have at least two monitors? There's almost no way I'd be able to play without a second monitor.

• Like 2

I disagree, I seem to spend about 2-4minutes a day grinding on skills, But meditation doesn't really count as grinding, right?

Otherwise I'm either just chatting with people or poking the horses/bison. Or aimlessly riding around Xanadu, Though I haven't done that in a while. :( maybe this weekend.....

9 hours ago, Hailene said:

Who in the right mind plays Wurm and doesn't have at least two monitors? There's almost no way I'd be able to play without a second monitor.

Netflix subscription optional but highly recommended.

10 hours ago, Hailene said:

Two computers and two monitors with two keyboards is the most efficient way. Then you can have 1 premium guy doing the repetitive queue tasks and the other moving around doing the more active things. Heck, you can even have a premium guy playing WO on one and a "free" premium guy playing WU on the other at the same time. This works well because of WO's snails pace in comparison to WU's more rapid creation systems.

=Ayes=

12 hours ago, Hailene said:

Using a single monitor works well for minimizing eye and cursor movement, and alt-tab is instantaneous. If you're just standing and grinding, you can arrange windowed clients in a way which maintains complete visibility of event/chat/inventory windows and action timers; full-screen detail is not required when there is almost no movement of screen elements.

With minimal movement of hand/eye and maximal rate of user input, you can achieve top efficiency and become a machine. You should appear to be almost motionless.

Edited by Meldichoir

5 hours ago, Ayes said:

Two computers and two monitors with two keyboards is the most efficient way.

I'd figure the switching between the two mice and keyboards as more trouble than twisting your head and moving your wrist. To each their own I suppose, haha.

3 hours ago, Meldichoir said:

Using a single monitor works well for minimizing eye and cursor movement, and alt-tab is instantaneous. If you're just standing and grinding, you can arrange windowed clients in a way which maintains complete visibility of event/chat/inventory windows and action timers; full-screen detail is not required when there is almost no movement of screen elements.

I agree that sometimes having them on the same monitor is very efficient. I use that when grinding my priest's channeling while using her saccing battery.

The second monitor I usually have something else running (a book, youtube, glorious Kantai Collection playing) to keep me occupied.