Sign in to follow this  
Shakatra

Agree/disagree?

Wurm is a waste of time, unless it's played only when sleep bonus is available and active, and only with high QL tools, enchanted with CoC. 

I think crafting is a waste of time in wurm. there is so much more fun activities lol

disagree because Wurm has more to offer than mind numbing grind

• Like 3

Agree, all games are a waste of time. Please go get a real job while i waste my time on Wurm.

Edited by Odynn
  • Like 9

The newbies in my alliance seem to enjoy the game quite a bit, and they don't have much sleep bonus or enchanted tools.  Imagine that...

I also love this game, and I play it quite often with sleep bonus turned off. ;)

Kindly disagree :) I've been wasting my time in this game for close to 4 years now. 

Edited by Zachariah

25 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

The newbies in my alliance seem to enjoy the game quite a bit, and they don't have much sleep bonus or enchanted tools.  Imagine that...

I also love this game, and I play it quite often with sleep bonus turned off. ;)

why would you refer to yourself in third person?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hashirama said:

why would you refer to yourself in third person?

I guess I'm also multiple people then eh?

3 hours ago, Zekezor said:

I think crafting is a waste of time in wurm. there is so much more fun activities lol

Can you list them please? I need ideas. 

3 hours ago, KaiH said:

disagree because Wurm has more to offer than mind numbing grind

Ok. This is what I'm after. Can you please reveal what these other things are?

I recently met a fella on Xan, who told me that most Wurm players don't know how to play. For them wurmian life is nothing but numbers, and they miss out on unique ways to look at the game. To simply slow down and enjoy the game world. When he tried to share this with other players, they'd laugh at him. Exploring just for the sake of exploring, admiring the beauty of the moons in the sky, writing a "message in the bottle"-type of letter on papyrus, dropping it in a random place, and seeing whether the player who finds it writes him back; camping out in wilderness with something cooking on the fire and just admiring the view...

I really want to hear from people who approach Wurm in a totally unique way. 

3 hours ago, Odynn said:

Agree, all games are a waste of time. Please go get a real job while i waste my time on Wurm.

Show me another MMO with as much grind as Wurm? Cutting down the grind is not a stupid wish.

Edited by Shakatra
  • Like 3

grind for gold, grind for items, grind for rare loot... many MMo have farming mechanism that are a similar grind. Wurm is more timer oriented.

You can have different ways to play, you can even pay others player to do the boring grind instead of you and focus on what you want to do. Skills will need some time though, you can either actively grind them, do them whenever you feel like it, or push a button while watching a movie/show/reading a book, just do not macro.

Most of the people commenting are veterans and like the grind actually, I personally do myself!

I understand coming in as a new player can be difficult, and is very hard to get into. However like any game the rewards are given at endgame or when you achieve a goal. 

Its possible you just don't have the mindset for this type of game. If you really like Wurm but hate the grind you have a few options, try Wurm Unlimited or Epic for the easy mode style game play.

Hope that helps. o/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shakatra said:

Wurm is a waste of time, unless it's played only when sleep bonus is available and active, and only with high QL tools, enchanted with CoC. 

Speaking for myself only, I disagree.

I do not like grinding so I seldom do it. I have characters that were created in 2007 and 2008 and they have only one skill at 70 or above... digging.... and I am happy with that. I have no desire to grind anything to 90. I don't desire titles much, doesn't appeal to me. I don't brag in kchat everytime I pop 50 in a skill. I don't use enchants on anything nor desire to. I don't like rares. Turrets to me look stupid. Everything I do ingame is done as we did it in 2007/2008 timeframe. Valrei to me is just a moon. I even forget to sleep in my bed and seldom use sleep bonus. I usually play without high ql tools as I prefer to make most of my stuff myself, though I recently went on a shopping spree at Freedom Market, some nice tools there.

and under these circumstances I enjoy playing Wurm, or rather experiencing Wurm. That's why I keep coming back. Because I enjoy it.

Without enchants, without sleep bonus, without uber tools. Without grinding. Taking my time and enjoying the virtual world the game is set in rather than focusing on "the game". Let the NT's fight over that ;)

Edited by geode
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Shakatra said:

Can you list them please? I need ideas.

PVP. :D

• Like 1

Hm, I like to get lost in my own backyard, to run in circles, to ride between north and south edges of the map without a purpose, to travel to a friend's deed and do the "poke in the ribs" emote, then come back.

I also like taking screenies while the mob is nibbling on my toes, bring home stray hens, drop random (alive) cows in random unlocked pens belonging to random people, collect champion kitties and, once a month, if I still have some free time, I grind hard for about 3-4 minutes ..

Tango, M'lady?

0dabd7c8152a3b0c79a2feb787e8bd1d.jpg

• Like 6

I played for a year without enchants or high ql tools and loved it. Now that I can afford and even create them it is even more enjoyable.

Yep, playing Wurm as well as other online games is a waste of time but the more important question is, is it an enjoyable waste of time. If so then it is time well wasted. Then how to waste it most effectively is for each to decide, or maybe some enjoy it more the less effective it is. Why try to be productive wasting time anyway?

I don't get the need to question this, so although I might disagree, then again maybe not. Isn't being agreeable the more enjoyable alternative when others responses are concerned? It's really all about enjoyment you see. Agree? Not me? Ahh, now I see! You got me!

=Ayes=

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Evening said:

Hm, I like to get lost in my own backyard, to run in circles, to ride between north and south edges of the map without a purpose, to travel to a friend's deed and do the "poke in the ribs" emote, then come back.

I also like taking screenies while the mob is nibbling on my toes, bring home stray hens, drop random (alive) cows in random unlocked pens belonging to random people, collect champion kitties and, once a month, if I still have some free time, I grind hard for about 3-4 minutes ..

Tango, M'lady?

0dabd7c8152a3b0c79a2feb787e8bd1d.jpg

Thanks for making fun of my attempting to think outside of the box.

I wasn't making fun, I actually described what I mostly do - and enjoy doing - in Wurm, without the need of sleep bonus or high ql high CoC tools. It is thinking outside the box.

Wurm is a sandbox and can be whatever you want it to be, from grinding to having fun or taking nice screenies or just stand and stare at the moons.

If you want to think outside of the box, you have to open yourself to think outside of the box.

• Like 5

Disagree! I do like my highish ql stuff, because otherwise I'd just wear them all down to nubs and lose them. Enchants are all right as well, but it's not a big need. I just like to support the better crafters/priests when I find some cash on the ground.

I think I'm one of those weirdo out of the box people, at least most of the time. I like having my imaginary alternate home, with farm animals and all the trees I want. I really love mining out an organized, tidy mine. I sail around taking screenshots of cool deeds. Occasionally plunder a dead deed. Run from mobs a lot. Look for sea creatures and white-dotted flowers. I've become one of those hermit players right now, but I try and go out to the events and talk to other people.

I have some game goals (the colossus!), but I really never grind, because that's boring to me. I pretty much have done the same thing in any MMO. Gather stuff, craft a little, talk to people, linger by asteroids. If you treat Wurm like WOW, it will be like WOW to you. If that's not fun, you can find something else to do. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Niki said:

Most of the people commenting are veterans and like the grind actually, I personally do myself!

I understand coming in as a new player can be difficult, and is very hard to get into. However like any game the rewards are given at endgame or when you achieve a goal. 

Its possible you just don't have the mindset for this type of game. If you really like Wurm but hate the grind you have a few options, try Wurm Unlimited or Epic for the easy mode style game play.

Hope that helps. o/

This is the best description of what everyone here is trying to tell you. Please don't take this as I am trying to "make fun of you" or "mock you" or whatever because I am not that kind of person. I genuinely am a nice kind person that will listen to what someone has to say, which is what most people here will tell you. So please just listen to what I have to say and do take it to heart as it is true advice. 

As Niki said most people commenting in this thread at veterans of the game and therefor like the grind that comes with Wurm. I don't consider myself a veteran but I have been playing this game for close to 4 years now. And yes I use high coc and high ql tools that I have collected over the years and yes I use Sleep Bonus and Sleep powders but that is only because I like the reward that comes with the grind. When I started playing I never thought I would be able to make a high ql set of plate armor but now because I stuck it to the whetstone (pun intended :P) I am now able to make a little bit of cash imping plate sets and scale sets alike to high ql. I am able to upkeep my own plate set instead of having to pay to have someone to do it. And do you know why? Because I invested a little bit of money into some nice high ql high coc tools. 

This "grind" is intensive sometimes and like Evening said, sometimes you have to get out so very often I will just ride from one side of the server and back a few times seeing as many things as I can along the way. I will very often go on hunting trips to get some more meat if I am feeling to grindy at the moment. So sometimes, yes, the grind does get to you but you can't let it or else this doesn't become a game anymore it becomes a chore. 

Wurm isn't for everyone. At least not Freedom. If you want something more "easy mode" Epic has a skill curve that lets you skill up faster with less of the grind. Yeah you might be thinking, but its a PvP server and I don't want to get into PvP. Well I will tell you this. I spent two and a half years on Chaos and never once did any sort of PvP, except the sort of little skirmishes of other kingdoms passing by the deed. So yeah it is possible to live on Epic and enjoy the skill curve without having to deal with the PvP aspect of it. And if you want an even more easy mode gameplay try Wurm Unlimited. There are plenty of servers that let you have exponentially more skill gain than wurm does. Desolation has 100x more skill gain than the stock wurm for example. Or you can open you own server (yeah its a little bit of money ever month but Wurm is an investment) and you can make that server how ever easy you want it to be. 

So, like I said you need a certain mine set to be able to play and enjoy Wurm and maybe you just don't have that mindset to be able to play Wurm Online.

But in general no I disagree with you. Wurm is a great game and every now and again you have to take breaks but those breaks are good for you as a Wurmian. I just hope you decide a way to enjoy this game as it truly is a special game weather that is on the Online live servers or you own Unlimited server. And again don't take anything that I am saying here as a mockery it is truly advice from an old player to a new one. 

Good luck on finding something if it is not Wurm and I hope to see you in game one day. Hit me up if you are (/t Zachariah)

Thanks for reading :)

Zachariah 

• Like 1

On 01/04/2016 at 0:40 PM, Shakatra said:

wurm unlimited, Link provided by fawkes~

On 01/04/2016 at 0:47 PM, Fawkes said:

On 01/04/2016 at 3:49 PM, Shakatra said:

Many are wary of the unstable server situation; the thought of losing everything over a server shutdown - an unwelcome thought, and thus stay away. Thoughts?

That wary thought is only from wurm online nay sayers that WO Is better than WU. They only came up with a couple reasons to play WO than WU which are "Community" and "Server Stability" and "server might shutdown" which are false as WU has them server stability and bigger population numbers. The popular servers have a nearly 100% Uptime, Only goes down to bugs WU patchs give or someone makes it go down or updating. Additionally we have servers with over 100+ Players daily. 2, Almost 3 times more players per server then 75%+ of WO Servers. Lastly the server might shutdown talk is only applied to small tiny servers, Just like any other server in any game. If nobody or barely anyone is playing your server, Reason suggests shut it down and spend your money elsewhere. Additionally all the servers typically have 5x speed and 3x skill atleast, So even if lets say you lost your character, *Some* Servers are nice enough to give you a few of your old skills back on there server. They may nerf it a bit or limit your skill to lets say 50 from 90, But its better then starting at 1. Even then tho, 50 is no major milestone either, Thats like a day or two of grinding at most. 

But to answer the OP and steal from others comments here:

Wurm in general is a waste of time much like any other game. But if were just gonna go with Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited, Wurm Online is a huge waste of time as you spend about 6 months just to get to below average level. Even then your only making like 50ql stuff and basically burning a huge hole in your pocket. Whereas on Wurm Unlimited, You spend less money and time making roof tiles and more time playing the game. whatever that may be from building bridges, Deeds, Boats, Whatever. You don't have to put in a 1 year grind for a max skill, Maybe 1-2 months for 100. A month tops for 90 easy. Unless your doing mining which is different skill gains altogether on WU. 

Disagree. I rarely use my sleep bonus. In fact, these days I rarely craft. (I don't count making bricks or mortar or thatch to be used in projects "crafting" so maybe it's a definition thing but definitely nothing I want to waste sleep bonus on.)

I have my fun goofing around on my deed with my friends. If there was a chatting skill, I would be 99.99999.

• Like 1