Sign in to follow this  
Theraptorking

Why isn't there a recipe for Healing Covers?

I am new to the game, so I'm always looking at the crafting recipes to know how to create a cart, chest, etc. I decided to stock up on Healing Covers just in case I run into a troll, but I could only find Farmer's Salve in the Healing category. Is the absence of the Healing Cover recipe intentional as there seems to be many possible combinations to make one? 

That's because you there is only an odd way of making them that doesn't involve crafting window. And the recipe tab is tied to the crafting window.

58 minutes ago, Theraptorking said:

I am new to the game, so I'm always looking at the crafting recipes to know how to create a cart, chest, etc. I decided to stock up on Healing Covers just in case I run into a troll, but I could only find Farmer's Salve in the Healing category. Is the absence of the Healing Cover recipe intentional as there seems to be many possible combinations to make one? 

And yes, there are many combinations to be had for healing covers and various powers of healing covers, which is unlike crafting items in the game. :)

48 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

And yes, there are many combinations to be had for healing covers and various powers of healing covers, which is unlike crafting items in the game.:)

Ok, that smakes sense

Here is a list of ingredients that can be used for healing covers.  Any 2 can be combined to make one. The higher the number, the higher the healing ability ( also, the higher the difficulty so you will fail more often ).  The worse your injury, the higher the potency you need.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Healing_cover#Potency

It would be nice to be able to throw a combined tooth and gland into the crafting window to craft good HC's without right click find in list combined. I admit I've tried to do it before and was uninspired by not being able too.

Using the crafting window would be best, but at least a keybind would help immensely. This is one grind I keep delaying because of the rsi inducing mouseclicks.

To avoid repeatedly clicking, I combine 1 item, such as horn, and leave the 2nd item uncombined as a stack.  I then use item 1 to click once and make HCs on the stack of item 2.  The only limit then is how many actions I can stack, same as the crafting window.

• Like 2

what I often do is use as example combined tooth'(activated) with stacked glands and then rightclick top of the stack :) that way i get several actions queued

• Like 1

Here's the chart I saved up:

HealingCovers_zps9sojsvvb.png

Here's the conversation I had in chat that made me understand this better:

Curia> How come if I'm mixing two level 2 healing cover ingredients, I keep getting a level 1 healing cover?
Debit> Quality does not equal potency
Curia> but I mean from the chart that shows the levels of 1-5
Curia> I'm mixing very high quality barley with high quality garlic
Curia> I'd think I should get a level 2 cover
Epiphron> it's 1x1
Debit> Quality of the ingredients doesn't really matter that much
Epiphron> not 1+1
Curia> shouldn't it be 2x2?
Epiphron> although those two should make a potency 4 healing cover
Curia> they're in the level 2
Epiphron> when you examine the cover, what does it say?
Curia> yeah I'm getting ripped off
Curia> --->A bunch of interwoven grass mixed with various healing ingredients. It will help some against wounds. It can not be improved.
Epiphron> the examine message for covers between 1 and 5 is the same
Epiphron> if you apply it to a wound, you'll see the potency of the cover, which is 4
Curia> but I have some that say ----> A bunch of interwoven grass mixed with various healing ingredients. It is supreme against wounds. It can not be improved.
Debit> Supremes are 20+ potency
Curia> oooooh
Curia> the scales fall from my eyes
Curia> ty ty
Epiphron> :P
Epiphron> there are many such lightbulb moments in Wurm :)
Curia> when you were saying levels one through five, I was thinking of supremes as being 5
Epiphron> http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Healing_cover#Strength_identification
Curia> I'm all over that page, it just wasn't dawning on me how potency differed from level

• Like 2

Also CoC on a combined tooth or wemp or whatever combinable helps with the grind.

Should be reworked to fit/ work in the window. Make the 'value' of the ingredient be the item and the 'type' be material its made of. Just like shaft, oakenwood. It would then be Very good potency, tooth.

Change the icons if needed or add a craft like needing to use a grindstone on ingredients to get the alchemy material ready for making a cover?

unique item + unique item = unique item. There are 33 healing cover mats and you combine any 2 to make a cover. I think that is a combination of 33 choose 2 or 528 new creation things to add to crafting, if we were to add them that is. Also, 528 new items as each combination of materials needs to lead to a new item.

This is another example of why I wish it was possible to do properties of items based crafting. This could benefit cooking, healing cover making, and a more versatile crafting system.

For example,  troll bone tool handle + steel blacksmith hammer head = blacksmith's hammer. This hammer would have whatever properties it inherited from the troll bone handle and steel tool head.

For example, every food item consists of a properties collection of starches, fats, proteins, and vitamin/mineral concentration. You'd combine food items to make a balance and nutrition food.

I'd like to mod something like this into WU but it's a major undertaking so I doubt that will happen.

Edited by joedobo
  • Like 1

Particularly food. Buffs based on ingredients if nothing else.

And some food which you are urged to eat IRL will kill you in Wurm. Fruit juices, for instance. If you want to destroy your nutrition level, have some grape juice.

• Like 2

Yea, it's back to the old clickity-clickity system when making healing covers, with a semi-queue ability when using singles and combined items. Another reason to avoid making healing covers unless maybe you want to be a skilled dye maker. I have always used cotton instead for healing since I don't really get severe wounds and even those with high QL cotton and good healing skill will be reduced and eventually heal.

=Ayes=

On a related note, unicorn horn tends to make for heavy covers as compared to other potency 5 components.

Though I still hunt unies and keep a dull, rusty saw handy.