Sign in to follow this  
Lycanthropic

Status update on Source Rift Replacements

We had some updates in rapid succesion to replace the benefits of fountain-pans/backpacks (now called Source Rifts), but some compensations are still lacking, just wanted to give this topic a bump again, because Source Rifts are moving ever closer to their "death".

The idea was to introduce other items in Wurm or tweak current items in Wurm to replace what the source rift was used for.

To this current date we got replacements for the following:

• Painting large objects: we got small and large amphoras as a compensation, also the ability to pickup large barrels.
  • Storing highql materials: we no longer have a 5% decay tick every month when our deed has enough upkeep, so we can now store those precious 99ql lumps in bulkbins without fear of loosing a bucnh each decay-tick
  • Melting lots of ore: This got compensated by smelters that got added to the game

What we are lacking so far:

• An increase of volume to the large magical chest space: This was mentioned as an update coming (but for the love of Magranon, I cant seem to find it in the topics that discussed soruce rifts).  So that our large magical chests can go beyond the 100 loose-item limit or even store bigger items (skulls from slain uniques, some ship parts, large rare building materials/raw materials).
  • Storing liquids without decay: Still as of today, my source rifts hold allot of small barrels filled with maple sap/syrup, milk, highql oil, apple/cherry/lemon/grape/... juice. Would be nice if this function was replaced by something ingame, Maybe add liquids to the "no-decay-rule-on-high-upkeep-deeds". I know you can fill a flask with the liquid and drop it back in the container to reset the decay-tick, but when you have a large amount of liquids stored then it gets a bit troublesome, also remembering to do it every now and then tends to slip out of ones mind when you have lots of wurm-projects going at once :p.
  • ?

This is not a suggestion, but just a reminder and a poke to get some news on the development side of these promised compensations.

Also a small question to all of the source-rift-owners:

Did I miss any "compensation" that we are still lacking ingame for when the source-rifts go *poof* in 200+days?

• Like 3

These were mentioned as possibilities, but not promised, we will look at it though, I'd like to see magic chests be a little more worth their cost.

Amphoras slow liquid decay by quite a lot, dyes stored in them havent taken a tick in 3 months outside

• Like 5

If they were more useful more would invest in them, as they are without the source rift they are not even close being worth the 50s.

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

These were mentioned as possibilities, but not promised, we will look at it though, I'd like to see magic chests be a little more worth their cost.

Amphoras slow liquid decay by quite a lot, dyes stored in them havent taken a tick in 3 months outside

I most certainly had the impression there would come a usefull alternative before the timer expieres aswell. 

It is quite simple really. Remove the decay on items inside a container inside a house on a deed. Voila everyones happy.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mith said:

It is quite simple really. Remove the decay on items inside a container inside a house on a deed. Voila everyones happy.

I'm all for this!

Regarding the suggestion that decay inside all containers should be removed, I would +1 that, as people who grind hot food cooking can go dump their pans off deed for the meals to decay out of them, while people who would like to keep meals, pelts and other non-bsb and non -fsb items safe, can still do so on deed, as long as these are placed within backpacks or cauldrons or coffins or barrels.  

I am not entirely sure how large magical chests work, but from what I read here they have a hundred item limit?  If so, another option could possibly be to allow multiple containers like backpacks, cauldrons or barrels, inside a magical chest. It is up to devs to decide how many item spots a containers takes up, say one backpack is equal to five loose item spots, which means you can put 20 backpacks/barrels/satchels inside a large magical chest?  For 50 silver, it should be worth the money?

What about making more storage spots inside our banks, if you are a premium player?  When your premium expires, all additional items are placed back in your inventory?  This seems to raise some other issues, e.g. I have no idea how this will affect PvP, it is just a suggestion relating to storage.

Many people have over a very long period of time upvoted suggestions for no decay on deed inside houses.  Lanterns, containers, ships etc. continually taking damage on deed, is probably one of the things that interrupt Wurm playtime the most for me, as I log in to do some fun stuff, but the moment I see that items are or at risk of poofing, I have to stop all my plans to spend the day repairing on deed. With random decay ticks you can also never be sure if the zero damage item will still have zero damage tomorrow, or be 50 percent gone overnight.  As someone with limited playtime, this detracts from the enjoyment aspect a lot.

On 28.3.2016 at 0:41 PM, Retrograde said:

And you guys wonder why WO is suffering. Removing Features without asking, never implementing compensation for them, but promising that everything will be good. Many WU Servers are yet more successful than most of the WO servers. See that something goes wrong?

3 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

And you guys wonder why WO is suffering. Removing Features without asking, never implementing compensation for them, but promising that everything will be good. Many WU Servers are yet more successful than most of the WO servers. See that something goes wrong?

Youre not allowed to question the authorities. That bad, bad, bad....very bad of you :-P

7 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

I don't think of it as something going wrong here in WO, but they did something really right in WU.  They introduced near total control to the players and modders, which is what many want.  In WO though... the number of fixes and new additions is coming in at a much faster pace than what I remember from the last 3 years, so I'm more inclined to be hopeful about WO than down on it.  There is always something to be frustrated over and I have many issues that make me frustrated, but I like where things are heading for the most part. 

I noticed the OP mentioning that there are 200+ days left for the fountain pans to function, so naturally there is no hurry for Devs to focus on this one.  Much bigger fish to fry right now.  Give it some time.  If they don't have a solution created by the exp date, I'll bet fountain pans continue working until they do.

9 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

I noticed the OP mentioning that there are 200+ days left for the fountain pans to function, so naturally there is no hurry for Devs to focus on this one.  Much bigger fish to fry right now.  Give it some time.  If they don't have a solution created by the exp date, I'll bet fountain pans continue working until they do.

I have got about 25 source rifts full of stuff and if they are gone one day without compensation I am really mad. This is the last chance for WO Devs to convince me that WO isn't dead and I can continue to spend money on it.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 2