Sign in to follow this  
Hashirama

1 day wait for advancing in a meditation path at any level

I saw this on a WU server and I think its absolutely awesome. Why? No one wants to wait 6 months or so to advance.

Enlightment is bugged and hardly works properly and is a big pain.

If i am on level 11 of path of insanity today and i decide "oh lets try path of love", i should take 1 real life day to advance 1 level in path of love regardless of the level. The difficulty of obtaining the question can remain the same.

It is simple and effective and I do not like the people or even their idea of "make a choice properly" as if its a life changing decision we are making here. It is a game and after obtaining a good level in meditation skill which is already a pain, every player should be allowed to switch paths fast enough. And if they do not like the new path, they should be able to change again soon. 11 days for 11 levels is still not a short time but I believe its fair. 

Stressing again, its not a big life changing decision, its just a waste of time to wait 6 months or spend hours and hours on enlightment which still doesnt work.

• Like 3

Since new changes are coming, there will be people who favor and oppose them. 

1 time free instant change of path is given to insanity followers but still if the new changes are reverted or changed further, the people who converted from insanity to any other path will get screwed. Any player in general should be allowed to switch paths according to their needs because they have already attained the meditation level. Difficulty of obtaining the question can remain the same. 

Honestly, I like the concept of more easily being able to switch paths, especially considering that this will curb some of the whining associated with SoTG at the moment.  However, I think 1 day per level is a little bit TOO short.  A freedomer like me could swap paths back and forth going to Chaos, and then spend another 11 days to switch back to knowledge for 25% skill gain.

2 days, maybe even 3 days is more acceptable.

definitely not 1 day, but 2 would be better. 11 days from no path to SOTG ( Or any lvl 11 ) seems really quick. Now almost a month (22 days) Seems more appropriate. Like wargasm said even 3 days would be acceptable.

Switching paths should have a shorter advancement duration but initially gaining the path levels should remain the same.
Perhapse when switching paths the time between advancement could be reduced by 75%?
So 3hrs for level 1, 6hrs for level 2,  18hrs for level 3, 36hrs for level 4,  72hrs for level 5 and 144hrs for every level after
So to switch paths at level 11 like your suggestion it would take a total of 44 days to get back to level 11 as opposed to 166 days.  Faster but still long enough to make changing paths a bit of a task.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Yesirn said:

definitely not 1 day, but 2 would be better. 11 days from no path to SOTG ( Or any lvl 11 ) seems really quick. Now almost a month (22 days) Seems more appropriate. Like wargasm said even 3 days would be acceptable.

obviously anything would be better than 6 months. People fail to realize that 11 or 22, wouldnt matter much but yea whatever, even 2 or 3 days are fine

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greyfox said:

Switching paths should have a shorter advancement duration but initially gaining the path levels should remain the same.
Perhapse when switching paths the time between advancement could be reduced by 75%?
So 3hrs for level 1, 6hrs for level 2,  18hrs for level 3, 36hrs for level 4,  72hrs for level 5 and 144hrs for every level after
So to switch paths at level 11 like your suggestion it would take a total of 44 days to get back to level 11 as opposed to 166 days.  Faster but still long enough to make changing paths a bit of a task.

Personally I like this as a method. Gaining meditation the first time should take time IMO. After that, you did it once, the full time to do it again seems un-needed, but this would allow a fairly fast return to high levels without completely destroying the feeling of progression. 

• Like 10

yeah that would be nice,

or something like level 1-5 2day, level 6-9 3day and level 10+ 4day (switching paths) the grind up should be the same imo.

i agree with spellcast, but more important i would love to see the skillgain failures removed.

with a limited per day skillgain chance we do not need an additional "haha, you rolled a 40+ and don't get any skill" with it!

• Like 6

I agree with Spellcast and KaiH on this.

First time should be hard.

Edited by Cecci
typos
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, spellcast said:

Personally I like this as a method. Gaining meditation the first time should take time IMO. After that, you did it once, the full time to do it again seems un-needed, but this would allow a fairly fast return to high levels without completely destroying the feeling of progression. 

+1

I am a fan of this change, if you already grinded up the meditation, 44 days wouldnt be too bad.

HmmHmm... why not have a person on the the path your switching too, mentor you? Maybe able to mentoe X person per title level.¿?¿

This would decrease time to recoop your levels you previously had.  Quicker.  Once yours done being a student you get a event  message.

A sudden deep spiritual insight, fills your soul. your mentorship has ended, you have nothing else to learn, your new path starts now !

To limit mentor capabilities if to OP, maybe require certain paths only mentor certain Ones. For example:

PoK Can mentor anyone Switching from POH  

PoL can mentor anyone switching from PoK 

Etc..

To limit it more people taking on students and mentoring may not gain Meditation Skill or furture their knowledge in there path until Mentorship has ended.

4 hours ago, Vortexxx said:

HmmHmm... why not have a person on the the path your switching too, mentor you? Maybe able to mentoe X person per title level.¿?¿

To limit mentor capabilities if to OP, maybe require certain paths only mentor certain Ones. For example:

PoK Can mentor anyone Switching from POH  

PoL can mentor anyone switching from PoK 

Etc..

To limit it more people taking on students and mentoring may not gain Meditation Skill or furture their knowledge in there path until Mentorship has ended.

Seems unnecessary complicated to me. +1 to OP, Spellcast and KaiH

16 hours ago, KaiH said:

i agree with spellcast, but more important i would love to see the skillgain failures removed.

with a limited per day skillgain chance we do not need an additional "haha, you rolled a 40+ and don't get any skill" with it!

No, gaining the skill should remain as it is. Meditation gains is not being made easy by this suggestion, only changing and advancing on paths is. Everyone who has worked hard to gain all the skill and those people who meditate everyday and still dont get ticks for 20 times in a row do not want this. No one wants this.

16 hours ago, KaiH said:

Yeah, it should at least be like prayer and you get a tick 5 times a day. Hitting a long no-tick drought is discouraging. Take away the 3 hour tick in trade for guaranteed ones if you must.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hashirama said:

Everyone who has worked hard to gain all the skill and those people who meditate everyday and still dont get ticks for 20 times in a row do not want this. No one wants this.

I'd take half the skill per meditation in trade for removing failed attempts any day.

Noone wants this? The replies in this thread alone show different.

• Like 1

LoL, I'm going to wander off topic for just a half second... 

why is everyone liking MY post?.?.?. you should be liking Greyfox's post, its 2 above mine.  All i did was quote him and say i liked his suggestion.

back on topic... The original time to gain meditation should not be messed with, tho i would not argue with changing the skillgain to work the same way as prayers so that the random no-tick stretches go away as long as it was balanced to take approximately the same average amount of time to gain the skill.

I actually stopped bothering with meditation at level 8 or 9 or so because those stretches of no gain for the effort drove me insane. (which is funny because i was on path of power)

• Like 2

I'll have to disagree with the distinguished folks in the thread here and say, if you want high level med abilities, do it like the rest of us did. Suck it up on the 0/20 streaks and persevere :) It's not pretty and it sure ain't fun. But it's how meditation has been done for ages, I don't see a reason to change it because some folks don't want to put the time and effort in now when folks have demonstrated that it is doable.

• Like 4

doable, yes. fun? no. you said it yourself, it's not fun.

being broken (broken as in "no fun") for ages is no reason to keep it in that state. why should others suffer when it was clearly demonstrated that it is no fun?

with all the timers and restrictions and RNG in the meditation system is it still worth it to put the time in?

yes, sure!

a different amount of skill for a prayer-like skillgain does not lower that amount of effort, it simply takes out an unnecessary insanity inducing RNG.

and i totally agree with Hashirama - once you reached that elusive 90 skill in meditation you should not be forced to redo that torture of a waiting game just to experience another path.

I agree that switching paths should have a faster timer, no argument there. My query I guess is that if I and others said at the time "this is boring and why not change it?" We were told this exactly. Suck it up if you want it. So who are the magic people who complain and get things fixed ;)

Not too sure how I feel about this.  In theory it would allow a high skilled player to respec their entire mediitation skillset in a little under 2 weeks.

On the other hand it would really help out people getting into the game since getting from 20-30 meditation often comes as a nasty system shock.

Greyfox's alternative is a nice one, a reduction but not down to a single day.

5 hours ago, spellcast said:

LoL, I'm going to wander off topic for just a half second... 

why is everyone liking MY post?.?.?. you should be liking Greyfox's post, its 2 above mine.  All i did was quote him and say i liked his suggestion.

back on topic... The original time to gain meditation should not be messed with, tho i would not argue with changing the skillgain to work the same way as prayers so that the random no-tick stretches go away as long as it was balanced to take approximately the same average amount of time to gain the skill.

I actually stopped bothering with meditation at level 8 or 9 or so because those stretches of no gain for the effort drove me insane. (which is funny because i was on path of power)

Because People know you (the character Spellcast), you got history, Greyfox is still getting to be known.

I agree with Hashirama, Greyfox, Spellcast, and others of like mind. Initial skill gain should remain as it is but make switching paths later less time consuming. Idea I think is a good one, just need to hammer out the details.

(yes I have a character that Meditates and I have wanted to switch paths myself and it has nothing to do with PvP servers)

Edited by geode

5 hours ago, Pingpong said:

I'll have to disagree with the distinguished folks in the thread here and say, if you want high level med abilities, do it like the rest of us did. Suck it up on the 0/20 streaks and persevere :) It's not pretty and it sure ain't fun. But it's how meditation has been done for ages, I don't see a reason to change it because some folks don't want to put the time and effort in now when folks have demonstrated that it is doable.

Would that be using the bug that a lot of the high up folks got to exploit that we can no longer use?

Some of the fine folks around here have 90 plus in meditation.  That isn't using any bug.  Just meditating alot.  I used to have a timer and did the first 5 with my prayers.  I had a second timer for all of the 3 hour breaks after.  I meditated every time I thought about it.  Because I wanted it.  Are there people with the abilities that do not have the skill?  Sure.  That wasn't a bug but the way that they used to do it.  But they do not have the skill only the abilities.

• Like 1

Meditation is long term time investment.. It should never be like "Oh, I now switch to PoK, so I get skillgain bonus for next weeks grinding session", "I need now to enchant grass, I switch quickly to PoL" etc.