Sign in to follow this  
leander

personal heraldry

In this thread I would like to talk about the posibility of Personal Heraldry. I should start by defining what I mean by Heraldry: it is the practice of devising, granting, displaying, describing, and recording coats of arm and heraldic badges, if you were to simply type it into the Google search bar.  It is to be used on deed banners as well as other personal items such as tabards, wagons, horse covers, and flags, or other such display items.  In this way a person could display his/her own individuality or allegiance to one's village, or just simply personalize the look of one's wagon, ship, deed area, ect..  Now I'm sure this topic has come up before, but I couldn't find it when I looked, and be sure, I did look. 

Before I started playing Wurm I was an avid W.o.W. (World of Warcraft) player for more than 10 years, until I honestly got bored with it, and on that they had a tabard system for guilds, one that a guild leader could modify with moderate customization, and a similar function already exists in Wurm with the shop signs.  Has this ever been considered, or thought of? I guess is what I'm asking.  If I were to create it, I would make it a window that a player could choose between 6 simple shield shapes, 8 backgrounds with various color combinations, and 10 or 20 heraldic images that could be positioned, sized, and colored on the shield to create the personal heraldry. 

I have fallen in love with this game and look forward to a long relationship with it :) as my gaming history would show. I will not be leaving for a while because Wurm has so much that I find appealing.  I just wanted to say that, but as far as this idea of mine for personal heraldry, I do look forward to having feed back, maybe getting this idea to a game creator, or even seeing it actually in game.  I've thought about this for a while and have a few other ideas for it, but I will hold those back for the right time.    

Concept has come up before, but certainly would be fantastic!

• Like 1

Firstly I would like to thank firestarter for helping me correct where my post should be and apologize for my foolish post placement.

With that out of the way I continue, if it has been thought of, why may I ask has it never been implemented?  Perhaps if I may speculate, could it be that the proverbial  "math" is too outrageous, or even that the programing would be a logistical nightmare.  that would be what I would guess however if the game Dev. team is working on it for a patch in the future then I do look forward to hearing about it at the right time.  It should be noted that I do not seek to get an inside scoop, nor do I want the Dev. team to reveal any secrets that they have planned, I only wish to stimulate conversation on this subject.

27 minutes ago, leander said:

Firstly I would like to thank firestarter for helping me correct where my post should be and apologize for my foolish post placement.

With that out of the way I continue, if it has been thought of, why may I ask has it never been implemented?  Perhaps if I may speculate, could it be that the proverbial  "math" is too outrageous, or even that the programing would be a logistical nightmare.  that would be what I would guess however if the game Dev. team is working on it for a patch in the future then I do look forward to hearing about it at the right time.  It should be noted that I do not seek to get an inside scoop, nor do I want the Dev. team to reveal any secrets that they have planned, I only wish to stimulate conversation on this subject.

Well the most simple answer to your question would be that the development team has a list of other suggestions and possible updates to consider and work on.  That doesn't count the bigger content that takes them quite a while to implement or bug fixes for current mechanics and features.

So while many suggestions may be good, it doesn't mean they are urgent or more important than what is being worked on right now.  Some suggestions are used, and many are not, but we can't decide the time frames of such things.  Perhaps your suggestion will eventually be used.. Who knows?

I like the idea however I'd suggest to add this option only to people with Knight titles.

Thank you Slickshot, I do understand that there a literal boat load of suggestions the Dev. team gets, and I also understand that all good thing in good time, so I do look forward to future updates and content.  perhaps this will be one. 

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 6:10 PM, Alkhadias said:

I like the idea however I'd suggest to add this option only to people with Knight titles.

Thank you Alkhadias for your comment, personally I would have to say that, limiting heraldry in this manner would be unfair, however it would be limited by premium status of a player account, and perhaps for knights they could get a embossment on the outside of the coat of arms like the helm and rampant animals on either side to indicate rank.  I say it this way because I am a premium player but I don't know if I will ever gain the knight title, and I'm happy with that, however if a person want to become a knight then they will have access to an additional customization option.  This could even give certain titles images that could be used in the making of the heraldry, and insure that a player doesn't flip flop and remake their heraldry a hundred times the player would have to pay an increasing amount of silver every time after the first creation to modify or remake it. to ensure that there are not duplicates that would work like player names, as in if a player creates a coat of arms it would be unique to that player account, and saved with other account information.    

On 03/27/2016 at 0:05 AM, leander said:

With that out of the way I continue, if it has been thought of, why may I ask has it never been implemented?

It used to be that wooden objects had their own textures depending on wood type, but this was scrapped because supposedly it was too resource-intensive. I didn't notice a difference in performance, but the staff insists that it has a large effect and they aren't budging until they figure out some hacky workaround involving shaders. So if half a dozen wood textures are too much strain on the game, thousands of unique heraldry textures probably would be too.

8 minutes ago, Fawkes said:

So if half a dozen wood textures are too much strain on the game, thousands of unique heraldry textures probably would be too.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:05 AM, leander said:

Perhaps if I may speculate, could it be that the proverbial  "math" is too outrageous, or even that the programing would be a logistical nightmare.  that would be what I would guess

Thank you fawkes, that was part of the reason of why I speculated what I did.  I am no computer programmer, I am just a person with an idea I wanted to have a conversation about.